It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any bad cinema fans?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The success of Mystery Science Theater 3000 was proof that there is definitely an audience for really bad cinema. We're talking movies that are hideously bad. MST3K took the fun to new levels with their format of sitting in a theater and making fun of the films while watching them. Before MST, there were a bunch of regional "bad cinema cut-up" shows around the U.S. Most of them are long gone. As far as I know, only 'Svengoolie' remains. Svengoolie began in Chicago around 1970.

The late comedian Gilbert Gottfried had a hilarious show on the old USA cable network. "Up All Night" aired for several years. It featured horrible cult classics and D movies. Gottfried provided hilarious commentary. One of my favorite comments he made was "Scenes that make absolutely no sense are always good!" Another one was "Why, and more importantly, how, did this movie ever get made?"

For your consideration, three magnificently awful films:

First up is "Red Zone Cuba", made in 1966. Critics were puzzled that veteran character actor John Carradine appeared in the film's opening, and even more puzzled that he recorded this crazy song! The song "Night Train to Mundo Fine" comes in at 2:45.

'The Giant Claw' is a masterpiece of bad cinema:

'Hobgoblins'... every scene, nay, every second of this movie is awful:

Bonus: The coat hanger scene from 'Birdemic':

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

This is just my personal opinion... but "Manos Hands of Fate" tops my list of abysmally bad film. MST3K did a show around that movie, bless them. It just broke my "bad movie meter"... thus making it epic, in my mind.

Aside from that the list of movies which leave you stunned and confused used to be confined to very old productions, not so much today, there are many candidates for inclusion in the list that were made relatively recently...

Great thread idea!

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I like watching old cheesy films. Maybe not as bad as the ones you posted though.

As far as I’m concerned, about 90% of the movies being produced currently, fall in this category.

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 02:39 PM
link   

THEM!
I saw it as a kid and its badness holds a special place in my memory, bloody funny too (unintentionally)

But I doubt any film could beat Ed Wood's classic "Plan 9 from outer space"

It's a Cult classic for a reason.

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Thanks for the comments! Maxmars and gortex, I agree! Those are some magnificently bad films!
KKLOCO, did you ever read the old 'Mr. Cranky' reviews? He was of the opinion that nearly all films were bad, and he would pick them apart. His reviews were great. He enjoyed very, very few films. Almost none.

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 02:49 PM
link   
#1 of all time : Dark Star
Watch it if you can .
That monster is blood curdling ....

"And god said , let there be light"
edit on 1/4/23 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Don't really look at this one as bad..got it on VHS back in 85 for Christmas..I was really hoping foer anything Star Wars but this was in the dollar bin, so its now part of my weird life

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 02:53 PM
link   

My wife and I live off of B and C movies.

I'll put these on the list, for sure.

Tubi™ has lots of the old ones.

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Another masterpiece. From 1965, 'Village of the Giants'

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Any crappy SciFi is great to me. As much as I love MST3K, they talked too much and got in the way of the movies.

Check out retrodrive-in.com for loads of em for free.

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I'm a huge fan of bad cinema, and use to watch MST all the time. My favorite horrible movies are science fiction or horror. These are always the worst of the worst, but oh so good.

Matter of fact I watched a terribly awful good horror film today: "IT!" (1967). Not the Stephen King IT, but this film has similarities to the plot. I wondered if SK ripped off the story, but changing it a bit.
edit on 4-1-2023 by AOx6179 because: (no reason given)

I just started a new one, "My Demon Lover" (1987). It's absolutely terrible! but so entertaining.
edit on 4-1-2023 by AOx6179 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I LOVE bad science fiction movies. I binge watch on Netflix / Prime. There are a lot of current straight to video films with D list actors, bad CGI, etc.

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 04:03 PM
link   
About half the shows I work on should never have been made. Most of the horror/slasher films I work on are produced by money from Saudi Arabia; The money flowing into the biz is astonishing and with the advent of streaming, content is king and it doesn't matter if it's bad or good. You don't even need to write a complete script anymore...the smaller studios will buy your treatment and have geeks like me add the characters, parentheticals and dialog.
Often we are writing the script as we shoot the movie and the editors are in the trailer editing the footage minutes after we shoot it; the same way TV soap operas and reality shows are made. [fast and dirty]

edit on 4-1-2023 by olaru12 because: syntax

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 04:37 PM
link   
This one's more of a tribute than actual vintage stinker, but it hilariously hits the mark -

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Anything Neil Breen basically.

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Keep streaming..... I'm still getting residuals from movies and TV I worked on back in 2005 when I first got SAG and took any garbage role I could get and then... Livin the dream....Thank you Mr. Gilligan!!

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog
YES!!!! Someone remembered Dark Star!!

We used to have "Sci-Fi night at my parents every few Fridays for a decade or so, watched all kinds of beautifully awful old Scifi movies,
Dark Star stands out as one of the best (and Plan 9 from outer space of course). I miss the old days, bad movies nowdays actually really just suck, same plot lines (stuck on a spaceship with mutant/monster/alien/robot) same sound effects ( that predator mouth clicking/gargling sound,ugh, seems to have become stock everywhere) and stupid CGI.... Makes a person miss the old days.

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Huge fan of MST3K, and all of your references! Love trash films, as they don't require you to pay total attention to them --meaning you can be working on something while they are in the background and they're still very entertaining.

Not so much a crappy film in the day, but a stupid one by today's standards I love: "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World." As well as any Japanese old-school Godzilla movie, you know the ones, with the super-crappy dubbing.

edit on 4-1-2023 by BaconCrusader because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-1-2023 by BaconCrusader because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Lr103

Dark Star stands out as one of the best

The most watched movie in the USAF SAC back in the day .

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Scene from 'The Pumaman'
OMG!!!
youtu.be...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join