It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caltech to Launch Space Solar Power Technology Demo into Orbit in January

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 01:13 PM
link   

n January 2023, the Caltech Space Solar Power Project (SSPP) is poised to launch into orbit a prototype, dubbed the Space Solar Power Demonstrator (SSPD), which will test several key components of an ambitious plan to harvest solar power in space and beam the energy back to Earth.

A Momentus Vigoride spacecraft carried aboard a SpaceX rocket on the Transporter-6 mission will carry the 50-kilogram SSPD to space. It consists of three main experiments, each tasked with testing a different key technology of the project: DOLCE, ALBA, MAPLE

Caltech.edu, Jan 3, 2023 - Caltech to Launch Space Solar Power Technology Demo into Orbit in January.

The satellite has a framework called DOLCE, the PV cells (various types to test performance) in a phased array, and the power beaming (microwaves) portion called MAPLE. (Same source)

No big conspiracy but an “under the radar” type of news. This was funded by alumn and matching grants. It is a complete education funded project except for the Space-X rocket, and they said everything is made for purpose for this mission!

Hey, this is cool science. Yeah, need a few months of operation, an academic paper created and peer reviewed, all before the public gets told but, this is still progress off the surface!

Any steps are welcome!

And it is a demo, which is typically the step before a deployment of a full system.

YAH!!

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Step one in the solar powered orbital microwave death beam platform development.

We might really have a need for those tinfoil hats now. I think I will get an aluminum umbrella.

We have solar collector generators that cause birds to literally burst into flame in flight. Now they seem to want to do that anywhere.

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 01:53 PM
link   

That's #ing awesome.
Thanks for sharing, Honey.

One of the bad things about solar energy is the ridiculously low efficiency. 33% or something?
So there's a lot of potential still in it.
Personally what I also like how decentralised it can be installed, if with this it can also be used to feed energy hungry infrastructure: just awesome.
Imagine a moveable self-assembling stattelite swarm...
awesome

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Can't wait to see what happens when a living organism passes through the microwaves. Should be epic. PETA will be most pleased when birds, mice, deer, moose, cats, dogs, snakes, raccoons, possum, woodchucks start exploding. At least the wind turbines only kill birds.
edit on 3-1-2023 by billxam because: added animals

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

And many miles of dead and sterilized land around the ground stations that receive the energy from the satellites.

That is if they can keep the energy beams targeted properly.

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge

Step one in the solar powered orbital microwave death beam platform development.

We might really have a need for those tinfoil hats now. I think I will get an aluminum umbrella.

We have solar collector generators that cause birds to literally burst into flame in flight. Now they seem to want to do that anywhere.

Indeed, and what failsafe measures are in place to protect the insect, bird and human life...crickets do I hear? For the time being, I do. However, they could send the beam back to Earth at a very high elevation and that would make it safer.
edit on q00000044131America/Chicago2424America/Chicago1 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

edit on q00000015131America/Chicago4141America/Chicago1 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I thought tinfoil amplified the signal.

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 03:17 PM
link   

OK, so warm up this ball of dirt some more by zapping it with pure energy weapons why don't ya?

Gotta love Climate Change.

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kocag

I thought tinfoil amplified the signal.

I'm convinced it's why part of the recent French government's aid schemes involved massive subsidies for blow-in loose insulation and foam underfloor insulation in private homes for as little as....ONE EURO! (yes, got mine).

It reduces the number of reflective installations under the guise of "aid".

I still have a roof to renovate so I'll get the reflective hat that way. Was going to earth it too on each corner...lol.
edit on 3/1/2023 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Kocag

I can see it now - all the conspiracy tards heads exploding like a bowl of popcorn from all that energy hitting the tin foil ......

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Hehehe!

Like nuking a hot pocket but instead of pepperoni it is CO2 gas!!

Yeah, I didn’t see any details about safety and targeting, so let’s hope it is not some Xindi death ray straight out of ST:Enterprise!

I suppose that it could be replaced by a parabolic mirror to focus a real death ray at the surface, but then what?

This is a “wait and see what happens” type of event and we don’t even know if it is feasible (or safe)!!

Still, if it works, we could encase the whole solar system in solar panels and warp ourselves to a Type I civilization!!

Become the darlings of the Universe amongst those alien races!!

posted on Jan, 3 2023 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Hi snook’ems!!

The space based solar, stuff in use on satellites already, is 10s (like 3 to 4, 10x), more efficient than ground based PVC. And run that nearly 24x7 (65 minutes or so) of “night”. That is all mentioned in this blog article

www.greenmatch.co.uk...

They also say, Japan and China have their own programs. The OP did not mention but Nothrup Grumman is partners with Caltech. Japan has already transferred energy via microwaves 55 km on the ground. And China plans to launch “between 2021 and 2030” (sic).

The article mentions that others are using lasers to beam the electricity back! (Same source)

As to self assembling robots, if you take MIT/NASA’s use of making voxels to build larger robots (and even incorporating the smaller robots into the larger ones), then you could get a modular space solar power plant rather quickly!

A bunch of “ifs” but from not even being aware that the technology had advanced to demo stage, then yeah, pretty damn cool!

But now the waiting,..

It’s the hardest part!!

🎵

posted on Jan, 4 2023 @ 02:13 AM
link   

I'd like to think animals would stay out of it and obviously they didn't set the atmosphere on fire.
I watched a lot of 'Journey to the Microcosm' lately and couldn't help but think that it's really nature leading the way again.
Combine that with keeping improving how we manipulate on the one atom scale, right? I mean if we're talking potential improvements. You go out with your little solar backpack and where you decide to camp you unfold your 90% efficiency solar panel with 100% energy containment battery (a girl can dream) shovel in some dirt, place your 'order' and it recombines the particles to give you a glass of water and recharges your notebook with the waste energy of breaking up the atoms...
Spacetravel, also... it all just screams 'research me!'

Have a song

Continue being awesome

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Update

The Transporter-6 mission successfully launched from Cape Canaveral on January 3.

ScienceDaily.com, Jan 4, 2023: Space solar power technology demo launched into orbit.

There you go! From not knowing about the project, to an unstated launch date, to it was launched two days ago!!

Dang near a stealth mission!!

That means less waiting!!

posted on Jan, 6 2023 @ 11:08 PM
link   
To be complete, and give credit where due, here is a link to ATS member, anzha, from 2019 about Northrop Grumman and solar power satellites, in

Military Projects, Northrop Collaborates with AFRL on Space Based Solar Power.

Seems Northrop is very keen on the technology!

Hum??? (See anzha’s speculations about how the military would like to use this. Plus some links)

posted on Jun, 2 2023 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Update

"Through the experiments we have run so far, we received confirmation that MAPLE can transmit power successfully to receivers in space," Hajimiri says. "We have also been able to program the array to direct its energy toward Earth, which we detected here at Caltech. We had, of course, tested it on Earth, but now we know that it can survive the trip to space and operate there."

Caltech.edu, 01 June, 2023 -In a First, Caltech's Space Solar Power Demonstrator Wirelessly Transmits Power in Space.

No birds were harmed in the beaming of the microwaves!!

How cool is that?!! I know it’s not a Dyson sphere but it is cool to make an off the shelf satellite to prove both a concept and theory: it can be done.

They still have to experiment with the types of panels but the transmitter is functional!!

Woot!!

posted on Jan, 17 2024 @ 08:38 PM
link   
UPDATE

The experiment is over!

The spaceborne testbed demonstrated the ability to beam power wirelessly in space; it measured the efficiency, durability, and function of a variety of different types of solar cells in space; and gave a real-world trial of the design of a lightweight deployable structure to deliver and hold the aforementioned solar cells and power transmitters.

Catch.edu, January16, 2024 - Space Solar Power Project Ends First In-Space Mission with Successes and Lessons.

Since this was a “demo test” the article points out the potential failures in addition to the successes. The microwave of power back to Earth seemed to be a winner. The panels could have used some over engineering. And maybe fast and cheap in space could err on the side of spending more money.

Lots of room for improvement. But it works!!

Oh, they are going to crash it back into earth prolly in the ocean graveyard in the Pacific.

Yay, science!

posted on Feb, 28 2024 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Exciting news ahead! Caltech is set to launch a Space Solar Power Technology Demo into orbit this January, showcasing groundbreaking advancements in sustainable energy. Visit our website to learn more about this cutting-edge project and its potential to revolutionize solar power. At Sunistics Group, we're passionate about innovative solar solutions and proud supporters of pioneering initiatives like this. Join us in shaping a brighter, greener future with the power of the sun!

new topics

top topics

join