It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A startup says it’s begun releasing particles into the atmosphere

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 07:44 AM
link   
A startup says it’s begun releasing particles into the atmosphere, in an effort to tweak the climate

A startup claims it has launched weather balloons that may have released reflective sulfur particles in the stratosphere, potentially crossing a controversial barrier in the field of solar geoengineering.

I can't properly express my dismay about this news story.

First off, this kind of thing should be highly regulated, and not possible to accomplish without oversight and regional input.

The author provides a useful link to an earlier article which I believe is very good: What is geoengineering—and why should you care?

There is a considerable resistance within the scientific community against the commercialization of this type of technological application.

Some researchers who have long studied the technology are deeply troubled that the company, Make Sunsets, appears to have moved forward with launches from a site in Mexico, without any public engagement or scientific scrutiny. It’s already attempting to sell “cooling credits” for future balloon flights that could carry larger payloads.

Emphasis mine.

Apparently, commenters in the article want to characterize this as an 'attention grab' rather than anything we should worry about. "Famous last words," comes to mind.

The Article speaks of the company while engenders the idea that it is the company doing it, not a person. Meanwhile the CEO waxes poetic about the planetary 'crisis' he wants to protect us from.

This is why science and social movements shouldn't mix. And especially why scientific discipline should always trump commerce

All-in-all there is quite a bit of controversy about this reported undertaking.

edit on 12/25/2022 by Maxmars because: formatting - dang it!

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Will this bring more sunshine to Alaska this time of year?

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 07:49 AM
link   
/facepalm

If we're breaking it without trying, how much worse will we be when we try?

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Window lickers are going to doom us all.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 08:09 AM
link   
A little knowledge can be dangerous. Acting on very little knowledge just might be deadly.

This man has drank the Koolaid for way too long.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 08:11 AM
link   
There are quite a few people who believe the gov has been doing it for years with 'chemtrails'; perhaps it's just going to the private sector for plasible deniability?

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

this has been my concern with the damn chemtrail nutters all along. THIS is what can screw up the planet, not man made clouds. I do realize this is super small in scale, if it's as advertised, but it's reckless and irresponsible when "the science isn't settled" on this matter by a long shot.

I'd say I hope folks in the chemtrail world pay attention to this, as their tenacity would help to combat this, but I fear they will be glued to the sky screaming at lines.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

I want the global warming we were promised in the North FFS.

edit on 12/25/2022 by MykeNukem because: eh?

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

Erm, they get the most sunshine in the world at this time of year.

Land of the Midnight Sun and all.

It is winter there. The Sun does not rise. It just goes around just below the horizon if you are far enough North.

The land of the midnight Sun is Alaska in the summer.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge

originally posted by: MykeNukem

Erm, they get the most sunshine in the world at this time of year.

Land of the Midnight Sun and all.

It is winter there. The Sun does not rise. It just goes around just below the horizon if you are far enough North.

The land of the midnight Sun is Alaska in the summer.

Yea, I messed that one up, lmao.

Thanks for the correction. Can't believe I made that mistake. I actually live where this happens, lmao.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I dont like the plan. It`s crazy. Who has the right to release any particles up there if it circulate via winds to around Planet .

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kenzo

I dont like the plan. It`s crazy. Who has the right to release any particles up there if it circulate via winds to around Planet .

I think someone could bring a class action suit for air pollution. I didn't ask for those particles in my air. What guarantees do I have that that's not where they are going?

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeeh, sue them!

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Same. It’s -35’c without any wind today. If they cool the planet off anymore it will become completely unliveable.

The path to hell is paved with good intent.
a reply to: MykeNukem

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Do they want Snowpiercer?! This is how we get Snowpiercer.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
Same. It’s -35’c without any wind today. If they cool the planet off anymore it will become completely unliveable.

The path to hell is paved with good intent.
a reply to: MykeNukem

Yep.

At least Hell is warmer though.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 10:06 AM
link   

just remember...
when you do scientific EXPERIMENTS,
sometimes they FAIL SPECTACULARLY.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 10:12 AM
link   

first off, this kind of thing should be highly regulated, and not possible to accomplish without oversight and regional input.

figures they would open in a country who's government is just barely on the up and up and will let sh@@ slide if the right people get their palms greased.

not that greasing palms doesn't happen in the rest of the world but most first world countries do regulate what can be released into the atmosphere.

edit on 25-12-2022 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Humans are their own worst enemy. Every other living thing on this planet, adapts to the changes in our environment.

Humans think they can control nature. Sulfar has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties.

We have seen the disastrous effects of indiscriminate use of other similar agents. Nature makes changes to sustain life on this planet, we are not as diligent.

I think the best thing we can do to help the planet is to leave it alone, and adapt like all the other species on this planet.

Of course, our egos will not let us do that, because we are so much smarter. We know just enough to destroy the whole thing.

posted on Dec, 25 2022 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Chemical ice nucleation has been used for a while now.

We don't have natural weather anymore. They're just being open about it now. There's been aluminum and dioxide in the air for a long time.

The people who run these clandestine operations are nameless and will not be prosecuted. Oh, they also want us dead.....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join