It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quitting Smoking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Putting down the Cigars 4 days before Christmas is a Stupid #n idea?!!!!!
I’m rolling around the house in this wheelchair looking for something to chew on. I don’t mean food either….
How does one spell the word A###ole again?
Maybe I’ll shoot for AFTER the holidays…

Make more sense?

Ok, breathe……

Hey, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!!

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: rant ova, thanks!

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: PiratesCut

How does one spell the word A###ole again?

It's spelled "trying to stop smoking"

I was thinking of giving up cigars....and then my moment of insanity passed.
Besides, for Christmas my wife filled my humidor to the brim with all my favorites and I'd hate to let her down.

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Y'all are talking about the dark brown, thick cigars with no filters? That gangsters smoke?

What you're feeling is nicotine withdrawal and theres so many options for that. You don't have to do this self punishment thing, although if cigars are for tough guys, maybe quitting them cold turkey is a part of that culture.

There's disposable vapes that are rechargable and last a week or longer, they even have cigar flavor. I can't picture a cigar smoker hitting a vape though. Those are for LGBT, liberals, women.

Nicotine patches, nicotine gum, nicotine lozenges, cigarettes? Do these New Years resolutions to quit smoking at the drop of a hat ever work? The percentage of success is so low that I can't mention it.

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Lol, aren't you supposed to start that on New Years?

You can buy some time with a New Years Resolution, lol.

Merry Christmas bro.

ETA: no way in frozen over Christmas hell am I quitting mine, it literally helps keep me sane.

edit on 12/22/2022 by MykeNukem because: eh?

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thrumbo

Y'all are talking about the dark brown, thick cigars with no filters? That gangsters smoke?

What you're feeling is nicotine withdrawal and theres so many options for that. You don't have to do this self punishment thing, although if cigars are for tough guys, maybe quitting them cold turkey is a part of that culture.

There's disposable vapes that are rechargable and last a week or longer, they even have cigar flavor. I can't picture a cigar smoker hitting a vape though. Those are for LGBT, liberals, women.

Nicotine patches, nicotine gum, nicotine lozenges, cigarettes? Do these New Years resolutions to quit smoking at the drop of a hat ever work? The percentage of success is so low that I can't mention it.

Vaping is dangerous too. Let him enjoy his cigars.
edit on 12/22/2022 by Creep Thumper because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Always wondered if those patches and gum work, gonna try em out at some point. Vaping sucks, those are meant for little children.

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: XipeTotex

Always wondered if those patches and gum work, gonna try em out at some point. Vaping sucks, those are meant for little children.

Until you're locked in somewhere for long hours at night at work and cant go outside to smoke a cigarette.

Then you really appreciate it and never leave home without it.

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper

Vaping is dangerous too. Let him enjoy his cigars.

He's the one that doesn't want to enjoy them. I was just listing the available ways to ingest nicotine at a controlled level in the event of attempting to quit smoking.
edit on CST01Thu, 22 Dec 2022 13:42:07 -060000000012b2022 by Thrumbo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Until you're locked in somewhere for long hours at night at work and cant go outside to smoke a cigarette.

Then you really appreciate it and never leave home without it.

Not me, i dont carry smokes with me or smoke while working, only smoke my pipe at home in my porch. Still need to quit it tho, i am getting old.

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Firstly, vapes are awesome and superior in every way… it’s clean, efficient and cheap. I was a heavy cigarette smoker since I was 12 years old, changed to vapes when cigarettes hit $50 a pack and have never had the desire to go back.

Secondly, of course patches and gum work for the physical addiction, how could they not? You’re literally absorbing nicotine into your body. But, a lot of people convince themselves it doesn’t work, meaning it won’t help the psychological addiction, which is often worse than the physical.
edit on 22-12-2022 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Firstly, vapes are awesome and superior in every way… it’s clean, efficient and cheap. I was a heavy cigarette smoker since I was 12 years old, changed to vapes when cigarettes hit $50 a pack and have never had the desire to go back.

Secondly, of course patches and gum work for the physical addiction, how could they not? You’re literally absorbing nicotine into your body. But, a lot of people convince themselves it doesn’t work, meaning it won’t help the psychological addiction, which is often worse than the physical.

Vaping is also for little babies.

Nah man i am just messing around, but i have tried it once for a couple of weeks, was not for me, felt like i actually increased my intake.

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Tried for years to quit my nicotine addiction since I was 12-13 years old. Used to dip constantly then moved on to smoking as an adult.

All I can say is vaping helped me stop, it gave me that bridge between dip, cigarettes, and the occasional cigar. Yes being able to take a rip when needed was essential. Regardless Ive tried patches, gum, etc. but I was able to wean myself off of it in a couple of months by vaping as needed.

For me it made sleeping almost impossible, LOL I'll sometimes still dream I'm taking a big dip of Copenhagen, I can taste it, and even now I'll wake up disappointed.

I came across my Nuvo vape and supplies while cleaning up, still got untouched cartridges

After 40-plus years of the nicotine habit, it's been 4-plus years quitting the best thing I ever did.

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Nah man i am just messing around, but i have tried it once for a couple of weeks, was not for me, felt like i actually increased my intake.

It's ironic you say that, I believe for me that aspect helped me quit. All it took was going to the head shop once, it made smoking some kind of ritual with cartridges and cleaning, etc.

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Quitting smoking is very difficult. As someone who was a addict I like to think of myself as professional quitter. Cigarettes kept me sane and balanced while I was transitioning to a life of sobriety. That said I I knew I wanted to quit them as well at some point because they no longer meshed with the life and goals I was trying to achieve. I found quitting smoking nearly impossible cold turkey unlike other substances I had battled with although the other stubtsnaces required a prettt long stay in a rehab facility….but that’s not really pretient.

I would reel without nic my fix. Become like you said a giant A hole, more then usual.

That’s when I turned to a metered approach of using nicotine alternatives to ween myself off to lower and lower amounts so that the mood swings would be less and less dramatic.

I used both nicotine gum and spray and through their use I was able to stop my cravings and slowly reduce the amount I’d consume each day. Until I was down to just 1 or 2 pieces of gum a day.

Then I stopped fully and was only a little A hole for a small amount of time.

edit on 22-12-2022 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: XipeTotex

I have been called a helluva lot of things in my life , bur no one has EVER had the nerve to call me a "baby" .
I smoked 3-4 packs a day for decades .
One day , 10 years ago , I decided to try vaping .
Never touched a cigarette or cigar after that first inhale .
Went from 12 - 6 -3 - and now to 0 strength .

And EUH considers me a non-tobacco user . Got a good discount on my insurance .
edit on 12/22/22 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I quit better than a month ago. The gum helped take the edge off, just don't chew two at a time or too close together, you'll get really sick for about an hour.

I have something else to smoke, but it sadly can't do much for the Jones. It is mostly about will power IMO.

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Sup pirate

Yea bad idea

Never once has quiting in December worked for me I may make it 24 days but from then tell new years it's party time

posted on Dec, 22 2022 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Thrumbo

like CIGAR-ETTES?

posted on Dec, 23 2022 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Hi: I'm an RN and I was a smoker. No its not a medical story...well only a little.
26 years ago I was working a local hospital. Went to the Dr. and he told me I had the beginnings of emphysema. I did have a mild case of bacterial pneumonia.
So I see the hospital I worked at had a no smoking class. My wife...all the helper told me I should check it out.
Before the instructor came in I was talking to several people in the class with me. One had started smoking again after three months. Another was quite ill lung wise. Sort of a dusky grey color? You get it.

So the instructor came in and started....."instructing". Then someone raised their hands and asked her credentials....she was an RN...uggh. No special training. Just going through the book we had.
Then someone else asked her..."do you smoke?" She said "well I quit a few months ago and started back up again".

I screamed inside myself..."what am I doing here?" An RN who is teaching another RN from a book we all can read ourselves, and this "teacher" cannot even quit herself?
Here is how I quit.

I got the patches. Got some sugar free mints [diabetic and it helps prevent weight gain]
And I read the book which pointed out my environment. The house. My wife. Our cats...all breathing this crud.
For two weeks I was a mess. Then one day I was on the way to Chicago to buy a new guitar. The wife asked me if I changed my nico patch....I had forgotten...it had been three days.
I always said If I could beat it a month I would never go back. It worked.
First...you indeed did pick the wrong time.
Plan ahead set a target date to quit, say several weeks ahead of time.
Get some patches
and quit. Remember...it is stressful. Do this at a time when outside stress is least abundant.
Will say a prayer for you.
And o yea...Before I retired, I left the hospital to do some Nursing Home work. As ASDN of a rather large facility there I knew many of the patients. We had one......special one.

Her room was right next to the nurses station so we could hear her breathing....and when it got loud, she would need a nebulizer rx. [breathing treatment] This woman was a big time smoker. She would get to breathing better, then grab her ciggs and go down three floors on the elevator to smoke outside.
Then come back up. Then a few minutes later we would go in. Turn on the oxygen and give her a neb rx.
This woman did not "die well" if you get my meaning. She was old and the Dr didn't want to deny her the one thing she actually enjoyed. And so it was until she was gone. So as in the old addage of star wars.
No Try
Do But plan ahead and do it at the right time. and o yea...a hobby really helps. One that uses the hands such as woodworking etc.
Good luck and God bless

posted on Dec, 24 2022 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I've definitely cut down on my smoking over the years, and quit kinda temporarily for a couple years. But the only way I would truly quit would be if I got pregnant or decided to have kids with someone. However maybe it's the nicotine talking I have to say it's extremely satisfying taking the drag.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join