It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snowmageddon on the way

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 07:23 AM
link   
It looks like our place is bullseye for the Friday storm. Up to 2 foot of snow and 50+ MPH winds. So to get ready I started the generator in the motorhome. Tested the whole house generator. Put the blade on the tractor and gathered all my winter clothes in one spot. Now a couple of cases of beer and I'll be riding the storm out.

Anybody else watching weather?

Southwest Michigan

Take care

edit on 1220kAmerica/ChicagoWednesdayWednesday by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 07:28 AM
link   
NW Ohio here.

Yeah, keeping an eye on this one. Expecting 6-10" of snow here, however frigid temps and winds 30-50 mph.

I like a good snow storm, but not those temps, ouch.

Maybe we'll get lucky and get out of work Friday, Long weekend... woo hoo....

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

always watch the weather but real snow storms here came in my parents lifetime, not mine (1960s), but this does seem like the once in a decade or two white winter that'll bring my country to a halt and everyone looking for something to sledge on even if its just a dusting..

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I'm still catching up from the last one!
last weekend had us on generator for two full days- power went down 5am saturday, came up 7pm sunday... took me until ~2pm saturday or so to get the whole house running on the genny... first winter here so I wasn't set up.

Snow blower broke down about halfway through cleanup, so I switched to the backup garden tractor w/plow.... still trees down all over the place. Old man across the street hasn't moved his plow truck yet- been meaning to check on him.

What a mess! I too Friday off work to hopefully clean up the last storm during this one.

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 08:09 AM
link   
After my post the guy in the next office started a list of things to do tonight.

Fill gas cans and start his generator is on the top of his list.

We have Friday off so I'll be plowing the neighbors and the Legion

Be safe be prepared

edit on 1210kAmerica/ChicagoWednesdayWednesday by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Mother nature once again toyed with my emotions.
We were predicted to get 10-12 inches and it's now down to 3-5.... But still fricken cold and windy.

I knew when I bought a new snow blower last weekend this would happen.

ETA.. location north east Indiana

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 08:17 AM
link   

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: nevamind, adios

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 08:21 AM
link   
It looks like we are in line for more ice than snow, here in the mountains of East Tennessee. Checked out the generator and propane tank. 4 wheel drive truck is ready to go. We are ready to sit this one out.
Best wishes to everyone.

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: elevatedone

NW ohio here too. They are calling for 6 inches + now? last i heard was 2 to 4 inches.

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I don't know how much snow we're going to get here in Southern Illinois, it's those potentially low low temperatures that have me concerned.

I've cleaned out my fireplace and got a fire ready to light, stacked some more wood inside and organized my woodpile in case the electricity goes out.

Of course, stocked up on milk, bread, etc.

Covered some windows and openings to minimize the cold temperatures inside my house. (Should they materialize.)

I wish I had a generator, but I don't. I do have a power converter in my car that I can use to power something for a short period, if I have to.

Checked all my candle holders and hurricane lamps in case the lights go out and have plenty of spare candles and lamp oil.

Invited my neighbor over if she needs to because her house is a lot colder than mine. And on a related note, got clean sheets and blankets on the couch bed in case it gets pressed into service.

Did my laundry up because I was always told to have on clean underwear in case of an emergency situation, so got that covered.

Downloaded several old full NASCAR races to watch on my laptop, which can run off the batteries for a while if I'm powerless.

Made up my annual batch of eggnog yesterday, so I'll have something to drink that's special.

I would like to be in a position to prepare a whole lot more, but this inflation we have these days really eats into a person's finances. I guess the key is: Think about what you might need, figure out what you can do about it to get prepared in your particular situation, and buckle down when/if it hits. What's the old Boy Scout motto - "Always be prepared?"
edit on 21-12-2022 by TrulyColorBlind because: Corrected a typo.

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Absinth3

I've seen 2-3 sources all saying 6-10.

I ordered my snow blower on Sunday for Wed. delivery.

Oh what's this a text, it's delayed, until Thursday... we'll see.

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

It's kind of like when you wash your car, it always rains.

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I prepped for the upcoming calamity by buying a heat lamp for my wellhouse. When I got home I accidentally dropped it and it shattered. I'm doomed.

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Here, they're calling for fairly mild temps until Thursday late... then overnight we plunge ~45F to the upper single digits. For here, that's a disaster. We're used to seeing temps drop occasionally into the teens (usually upper teens) but below that it turns into a mess.

No generator, but I don't expect to lose power. Our power guys do one hell of a job keeping the branches from threatening the power lines, and they'll be out in the mess trying to fix anything that breaks. If we do lose power, it'll be for an hour or two at most.

My biggest concerns are the critters. We have set up a warm spot for the dog and the cats, but the chickens and ducks are not going to cooperate with us no matter what we do. Hopefully they'll make it through. I've seen chickens in 15 degree weather with icicles hanging off them happily going about their day before. They can get shelter from any wind at least.

Biggest problem will be the ice. The temperature drop happens right after a good, soaking rain with a light dusting of snow. No roads have been closed proactively, but the local news is already urging people to stay home Friday morning at least. I expect quite a few businesses will actually close Friday, as there will probably be a lot of closed roads due to ice and employees won't be able to get into work.

A 45 degree drop overnight is possible, I know, but considering the ground will be soaked... I'm questioning if it will be that bad. A severe drop, sure... but water takes a lot of cold to freeze, and it will warm the lower air levels some as it does.

TheRedneck

edit on 12/21/2022 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I'm in the bullseye in rural Alto, MI...we shall see how far the lake effect squalls come in...got the generator, have to assemble the housing for it so I can have it safely outside yet out of the elements. Got a new boiler unit this fall, so we shall see if it keeps up with the bitter cold. The little lake I'm on is still open, with hundreds of geese on it last night honking all night.
We shall see how good the plow service is, but I don't intend on going out anyway. Too bad to miss the Christmas Eve service tho...we shall see if it is called off.
Birds have been hitting the feed pretty hard.
I had to laugh at the radio personality...making fun of the people going out to get bread, milk and eggs...as if having french toast was a snowstorm thing. heheh
Stay warm!

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 09:07 AM
link   

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

I'm not too far South of you in Ky, but you guys will get about the same as us. 2 - 4 inches and 15 - 25 mph winds. Wind chill is gonna be around -20 so don't go out unless you have to.

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
After my post the guy in the next office started a list of things to do tonight.

Fill gas cans and start his generator is on the top of his list.

We have Friday off so I'll be plowing the neighbors and the Legion

Be safe be prepared

Best way to stay warm right there...

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind

originally posted by: Bluntone22

It's kind of like when you wash your car, it always rains.

This is so true...

I bought a big generator (one that can power my entire house minus central a/c) when Hurricane Laura hit up here still a Cat 1 and have only been able to use it twice. Not that I'm complaining, but I have to go crank it every few months so that it won't have gummed up fuel the next time I need it. Even when we got shut down for 9 days during 2 back to back winter storms in Feb 2021, we never lost power.

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 09:22 AM
link   
My area is accustomed to high amounts of snow, which has it's benefits when it comes to snow clearing. But we had our 'snowmageddon' a few years back. Many areas saw 36 inches of snow overnight and my area saw 28 inches of snow.

We were not prepared for that level of snow, whole province was shut down for a week. Snowed into our house for 3 days rationing toilet paper like it was cans of tuna.

Be safe out there

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join