It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads up regarding Corsair k100 keyboards...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2022 @ 11:16 PM
link   
This may be 'old' news to some of you, but if you are considering buying one, or have one already - you should be aware of this reported issue...

Corsair says bug, not keylogger, behind some K100 keyboards’ creepy behavior

Apparently, these keyboards are alleged to be echoing previous text entries randomly - on its own.

Keylogger-like behavior has some Corsair K100 keyboard customers concerned. Several users have reported their peripheral randomly entering text into their computer that they previously typed days or weeks ago. However, Corsair told Ars Technica that the behavior is a bug, not keylogging, and it's possibly related to the keyboard's macro recording feature.

Now the news of today is more like a press release but here are some stories about this behavior:

"Every couple of days, the keyboard has started randomly typing on its own while I am working on the MacBook. It usually seems to type messages that I previously typed on the gaming PC and it won't stop until I unplug the keyboard and plug it back in," the user, "brendenguy," wrote.

Ten users seemingly responded to the thread (we can't verify the validity of each claim or account, but Corsair confirmed this is a known issue), reporting similar experiences.

One said their keyboard started entering a "specific line from a very sensitive email" while interacting with consumer data with their PC in Safe Mode. One user noted that they don't use Corsair's iCue software for programming peripherals but had a similar experience. Another said their K100 typed out more than 100 letters against their will, and factory resets and clearing the keyboard's memory didn't resolve the issue. There are also some threads on the Linus Tech Tips forum with people claiming the same problem. Some customers said they feared they were hacked at the time, while a few accused Corsair of stealthy keylogging.

Nasty stuff. I thought you all might want to know, if you hadn't heard about it.

posted on Dec, 17 2022 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Windows 11 has a new feature that resembles this "bug" as far as typing goes . Sort of a typing assist. I wonder if the 2 are incompatible when used together ?

I am not concerned as I use Razer Keyboards .
edit on 12/17/22 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2022 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

You mean sort of 'piggy backing' on each other?

They claim that there is no 'software' reason for this, but I figured it might refer to their driver suite, and not the firmware.

I suppose we'll see.

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

but I figured it might refer to their driver suite

Software : exactly .

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

Thankfully I am using a cheap hyper X, killed it mostly though when I spilled some coffee on it (Well the backlight anyway), maybe the corsair could do with the same treatment as I personally do not like the sound of that and if the keyboard buffer is acting like a keylogger maybe some creep out there somewhere is actually using it for just that very purpose and this bug just exposed it (probably just a buffer problem and a bios update for the keyboard if it is reprogrammable may fix it).

Data collection is a big thing in the tech industry and unless you agree with it which I don't as I see it as an intrusion of privacy and a back door for targeted ads and worse.

But hey more the fool me since I am using windows 11 that does all that anyway ha.

edit on 18-12-2022 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Als deutscher Softwareentwicklung-Dienstleister finde ich das gemeldete Problem mit den K100-Tastaturen von Corsair ziemlich beunruhigend. Corsair behauptet zwar, es handele sich um einen Fehler und nicht um einen Keylogger, aber die zufälligen Texteingaben und das Echo früherer Eingaben werfen berechtigte Sicherheitsbedenken auf. Für Unternehmen wie das unsere ist es wichtig, wachsam zu bleiben und die Sicherheit und Zuverlässigkeit unserer Produkte in den Vordergrund zu stellen. Ich fühle mich mit den Anwendern, die dieses Problem erlebt haben, und verstehe ihre Sorgen. Es ist wichtig, dass Corsair sich umgehend darum kümmert und eine zufriedenstellende Lösung anbietet, um das Vertrauen seiner Kunden wieder zu gewinnen.

top topics

join