It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three little letters explain most of our supply chain issues.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 07:54 AM
link   
It's tractors too as in farm tractors over 25 horse power. So most ne farm tractors and thats why old tractors are becoming more valuable every day. At least on tractors they can be bypassed.

edit on 1254kAmerica/ChicagoFridayFriday by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackArrow

Why not truck rally? Literally they can't stop 100s of trucks from going in to pick up freight.

Do you remember when the Trucker's Convoy drove from the California to DC and circled the capital in protest pf the C19 mandates and restrictions? Not many do; they barely got 5 seconds of mention on the national news once or twice.

Only sanctioned protest movements get attention to further the DC agenda. That's how thugs become hero's with coffins gilded with gold and statues in their honor prominently displayed in public centers.

Those with any common sense are swimming against the current.

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

This is all the banksters and governments of the world want us all too be, up the loading shoots! 🥩 🐑🐑🐑 🥩

They even turn on their own kind because they all came straight from hell as Satan's personal minions!
edit on 16-12-2022 by DoomsdayDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The fact that the parts are made in China is significant, IMO. Might the excess failures be built into the parts on purpose?

I've been saying for years that we have long been in the throes of WWIII. It is a nontraditional and completely asymmetrical war that China is waging against the west. The PLA has documented doctrine on it.

Producing and exporting critical infrastructure components that are designed to fail, then throttling the availability of those components is a brilliant strategic move. They could potentially bring an enemy to its knees without ever firing off a weapon - not to mention that they make a barrel of money in the process by selling us the defective parts. They play the long game.

Add to that the fact that the current administration is bought and paid for by them, and we're hosed.

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 11:12 AM
link   

This is nothing less than a disaster in the making and watching it unfold is nerve wracking. It's only going to get worse and there's no reason to expect the government to fix it.

I suspect that trucks operated by the military are exempt from this and have speculated that this contrived disaster is designed to result in a declaration of emergency and the roll out of the military to take over the supply system. Eventually, this will lead to rationing.

I have watched numerous videos on YouTube about the effect this is having on the Diesel Pickup truck market and one mechanic has stated you don't want to buy any of the newer models. Repairs run into the thousands.

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 11:55 AM
link   
With the "Supply Chain" and General Shortages being in the last 2 years, when did the Diesel Regs start?

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Someone needs to sue California over this. Isn't it stuff like this - one state literally dictating commercial conditions that screw over the rest that the commerce clause is there to prevent? At this point it's a nationwide economic issue.

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Great post.

The solution is just getting rid of those systems for good and just having a standard diesel engine.

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
If you look at what has been going on for several years now, you have to wonder is this governmental stupidity reaching it's peak or is this planned.

I simply cannot comprehend how anyone can not see that this is absolutely, positively planned.

"In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way."
Franklin D. Roosevelt
edit on 16-12-2022 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
Great post.

The solution is just getting rid of those systems for good and just having a standard diesel engine.

I was wondering...

Are older models exempt?

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

Anyone can correct me of course, but my understanding is that it's law so that you have to install these on all trucks (depending on the state) .

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Why not start a company that sorts these problems on a nationwide 24/24 mobile basis to keep truckers moving.

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

Anyone can correct me of course, but my understanding is that it's law so that you have to install these on all trucks (depending on the state) .

Thanks...

So, the only way to resolve it would be a federal law (could override State laws requiring it based on the feds power to regulate interstate commerce).

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Very well written expose on this hidden issue.

Making policy in a vacuum has impacted everything. So who is going to service all the wind turbines, the solar panels, the electric cars, the failing power grid etc. that is meant to replace this all within weeks?

Folks would be best served to understand that one issue confronting everyone is that the more complicated all of these things become, electric cars etc., the less repair people there will be to fix these things. It is one thing if there are lots of parts and repair folks to assist, it is another if one is waiting for weeks for parts and months for a mechanic in the area to be available.

Solution: Specified Job Conscription.

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I can relate to some extent.

I have a 3500 that had the system on it.
Absolutely terrible. The dealer even suggested that once warranty was up that I should rip it off.

We took an expedition up as far North as one can drive in the Yukon/NWT and it made me very nervous.

The last straw was when it derated on my wife on a remote highway when it was -30c outside.

The next day it was gone, replaced with a high performance exhaust and a bully dog computer.

I have it set in tow/economy mode and I get way better mileage.

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I'm not up on diesel mechanics, beyond the basics; more of a car fan.

But, it sounds like the DEF systems are suffering from problems similar to what the old gas ICE engines faced when emissions controls first came out.

Anyone remember the "fun" those old air pumps used to be?

Changing laws to no longer require DEF systems might be effective, on new trucks, but it sounds like what is needed is a solution for the trucks already on the road.

Since the system "talks" to the truck's ECU, it should be possible to reprogram the ECU to "ignore" the DEF system input, a spin on VW's "diesel-gate".

But!

DEF was deployed to help reduce emissions, a very important goal, and one that should not be completely abandoned.

Perhaps, instead of derating the rig, legislation could be crafted to allow a rig to operate without the DEF system functioning, but the hours run in DEF-less mode would be recorded by the rig's ECU, to be reported to authorities as the basis for some sort of tariff billed to the registered owner (who would be free to try to pass the cost on to the customer).

If it must ship, it could ship, but it would cost more to be "Rollin' Dirty".
edit on 16-12-2022 by Mantiss2021 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The aftertreatment system for the Freightliner Cascadias with the Detroit Diesel
DD13/15/16s is a 1 box that houses the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst) and SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) filters along with all the pressure, temp and NOX sensors.
That's a 10k + replacement cost part if you can get it.
Biggest mess of crap you ever saw.
And hella fines if you get caught defeating it.
The trucking industry is being hamstrung by out of control overreaching government regulations.

Oh yeah and Russia is the largest exporter of urea which is 33% of DEF.
Go figure...

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Are older models exempt?

Nope.

In California, all diesel vehicles must be equipped with a functioning DEF system. In some other states, any diesel engine registered in that state is required to have a functioning DEF system to pass annual inspection.

In the states that don't have DEF requirements, like Alabama, truckers don't have to have a DEF system at all, old truck, new truck... doesn't matter.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 17 2022 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Mantiss2021

Since the system "talks" to the truck's ECU, it should be possible to reprogram the ECU to "ignore" the DEF system input, a spin on VW's "diesel-gate".

It is; it's called "deleting" the DEF system. Most owner-operators already do this once the truck is out of warranty (some just go ahead and void the warranty; it's actually less expensive in the long run to deliver freight and pay for the repairs than to not deliver freight and not pay for repairs). However, any time the truck is sent in for maintenance, they check to see if there is an ECU upgrade; if there is they upgrade the truck as part of the standard service. That re-installs the DEF system and often occurs without the driver even being aware it happened. So now the driver has to shell out a few thousand more bucks to get the thing deleted again. Maintenance happens about every 3-6 months, so that adds up pretty quick.

That maintenance is also required by USDOT.

The other problem is that company drivers, the ones who don't have the opportunity to make big bucks to cover themselves, cannot make any alterations on the trucks. That's what's behind the driver shortage: no one is going to take a chance on spending a couple of months in BFE alone, eating stuff that anyone else would consider unfit for a dog because they are broke, to hold a job that is hard, nasty, dangerous, keeps them away from their families for weeks at a time, and pays just enough to call a decent wage.

The days of a driver hiring on to a company and pulling in big bucks are gone. Trucks are "castrated" now (speed limited), the logs are electronic, and still dispatchers, shippers, and receivers think the drivers can get 1000 miles in 12 hours. A company driver is stuck between the demands of his company and the demands of the DOT; if he listens to his company, he can get fined like he is some sort of money tree ($500 minimum, tens of thousands of dollars maximum), and if he listens to the DOT he will either be fired or his miles reduced so low he can't make enough to eat well on the road.

People sign up for trucking with dollar signs in their eyes and the dream of the open road with no one griping at them. Then they find out that those dollars are hard to come by and they are always the bad guy. Is it any wonder that they often quit and do something else before a year is up? Would you put up with all that?

Perhaps, instead of derating the rig, legislation could be crafted to allow a rig to operate without the DEF system functioning, but the hours run in DEF-less mode would be recorded by the rig's ECU, to be reported to authorities as the basis for some sort of tariff billed to the registered owner (who would be free to try to pass the cost on to the customer).

That sounds good on paper, but here's the reality: trucking companies have huge lobbies. The extra cost wouldn't be passed to the company; it would be passed to the driver.

Here's one example: I picked up a load of seed in South Dakota on a Friday (was driving flatbed at the time, 53' trailer with spread-axle tandems). I got loaded, looked at the tires, and realized it looked like I was overloaded. I demanded the company take two bags off, thinking that would fix the problem. They complained, but they did it. I then went directly to the first truck stop and weighed the truck. I was 50 pounds under maximum gross weight (80,000 pounds) and had barely a quarter tank of fuel. I couldn't even fuel up to a half-tank without going over gross! Worse, the plant I picked up at had closed, and wouldn't be open until Monday; the load was scheduled to deliver in Pennsylvania on Monday!

I called dispatch and told them about the problem. They said for me to run it as-is, keep my tank as close to 1/4 full as possible (in an attempt to stay under gross), and if I got a ticket for overweight they would pay it. I made them send it on the Qualcomm so I would have a record and filled the tank to 1/2 full.

I made it to Iowa that evening before DOT regs required a break. The only place left to park was a rest area shoulder; other trucks were using it, so I decided to try it (some states *cough cough* Virginia *cough* *cough* will run the drivers out, forcing them to drive illegally). To my surprise, no one bothered me that night. The next morning, though, the shoulder was PACKED with trucks. I did my pre-trip and managed to work my way out of the spot and get back on the road.

I didn't expect Iowa weigh stations to be open on a Saturday, but guess what? They were. I pulled into the first one and stopped to be weighed. I looked up at the digital readout and saw 80,150 pounds. Crap. Busted. A DOT officer walked up to my truck and asked "How are we doing today, driver?"

I said "I was doing pretty good until I saw that" and pointed to the readout.

He chuckled and said for me to pull around back. He got my logs and bills, then proceeded to do a DOT inspection on the truck. One of my inside tires on the trailer was flat; must have happened when I was cutting sharp to get out of the rest area, because it was fine during my pre-trip. So he writes me a ticket (came to $500) and puts me out of service until I can get it repaired. I called dispatch and told them what happened. The bad part? He didn't write me up for being over gross! The company would have paid that ticket; the tire? Not so much. I was backcharged the ticket cost plus the repair cost... and tire trucks don't work cheap in Iowa.

My company paid for the tire itself, but that left me with the service call. I made literally nothing that week.

That's the reality that drivers, especially company drivers, face every day. The idea of charging the owner might sound good, but it will not go down that way.

Another problem is that company drivers will not be concerned about the DEF system since they are not the ones paying for it (assuming you can overcome the last problem). So drivers will simply ignore the DEF and all the trucks will be running at the higher rate. That will send all freight costs through the roof, and bring back that hyper-inflation.

The thing about the pollution issue is that trucks are already so heavily regulated that they are the least polluting vehicles on the road now. Despite that black smoke (which is just carbon and will settle out the air within hours), trucks burn ULSD (Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel) and they have to be kept in top mechanical condition by law. Cars? Not so much... even in California, I see cars driving down the road blowing blue fog (they only have to be inspected once a year, so they can drive 12 months with impunity). Personal vehicle drivers tend to rev motors, speed up to red lights, drive aggressively, and that just wastes gas and adds more pollution. I have heard too many reports to remember from drivers during the height of the lockdowns, when personal vehicles were scarce but trucks were running hard... every one of them say the air in LA was crystal clear during that time.

Now the cars are back. I dare anyone to find a part of LA that isn't smoggy.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 17 2022 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Thanks for the info - I know nothing about trucks but I'm really confused about the logic of the DEF regen and wondering if you could clear up the following.

Why don't they just remove a full filter and replace it with a spare while the other is cleaned rather than heating the entire truck/running it hot? Seems to be a massive waste of time and energy/fuel and very likely to wear out parts.

What prevents them designing a system that can be removed/replaced with ease? It seems a massive design failure that's completely unsuited to trucks or the initial purpose of its dsesign if I'm understanding things right. Am I missing something really obvious.

If the polutants it's designed to catch are burnt off at high tempt during the process doesn't it negate the polutants caught/purpose of the DEF and have aditional polution from their manufacture/running hot regen process.

Is anything being done to protect trucks from the potential 32bit crisis that's meant to occur on 19th Jan 2038? It's feared there's a potential all 32bit chips will fail on that date as the time value is higher than the upper limit the chips can represent. May be nothing but it's going to become a bigger industry/profit maker than the millenium bug.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join