It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Made me stand up at the Dentist Today

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2022 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Lokedog

Firstly, thank you for your in depth post, I really appreciate it.

It is very interesting what you mentioned about plaque. Like I mentioned previously, every time I go in for a cleaning (which is every 6months) I am told I don’t have plaque or very little. My dental cleaning hardly take any time because there just isn’t anything to clean. I can say this is not just from this dentist because I’ve experience the same thing from others.

As far as my dentist misinterpreting a study. That is an interesting point because most of the studies are small and actually say flossing doesn’t do much. I looked it up myself. I had mentioned that dentist in the past recommend mercury, fluoride supplement and things of that nature. They are not at all recommended any more. Some are now even questioning root canals.

If we look at just comments on this post, how many have said they either never floss, or very rarely and never had a cavity and perfect teeth? How can you explain that? Yes it’s just a very small sample size. According to what you wrote that would be impossible. I don’t think these posters are lying, so how is it possible?

What about the point about the third world countries that have the lowest incident of dental decay, I’d be willing to bet a large sum they don’t floss daily.

posted on Dec, 17 2022 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Thanks for all that information.

What are your thoughts on toothpastes that remineralize, such as Uncle Harry's Peppermint Remineralizing Toothpaste?

And what are your thoughts, if any, about oral probiotics, such as NatureWise Oral Health Chewable Probiotics?

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Diet is the major reason why third world countries may not have the dental decay that occurs in countries such as the USA, as refined sugars are harder to come by. As mentioned, sugars are the main thing that cause cavities, as it leads to the production of acid by the plaque bacteria that demineralizes the enamel, weakening it until a cavity is formed. Without the high sugar diet, the bacteria will not multiply as quickly either. If you and others here have not had any cavities, despite not flossing much, I would believe it is due to a healthy diet low in sugars, good brushing technique, and possibly genetic components that boost the anti-cavity properties of saliva and crevicular fluid (IgA and other immunoglobulins that can fight bacteria). I can assure you, I have see hundreds of patients with no cavities on the fronts, tops, or backs of their teeth, but rampant decay between the teeth, which is due to not flossing the plaque from these locations.

As far as different types of toothpastes go, any toothpaste with fluoride will be a "remineralizing" toothpaste. The fluoride helps to restrengthen the enamel, and when incorporated into enamel as fluoroapatite, is now more resistant to future demineralization (the pH to cause demineralization is 4.5 for fluoroapatite as opposed to 5.5 for hydroxyapatite). Toothpastes that say "whitening" do not actually whiten teeth, and instead focus on removing surface stains, such as those produced from smoking and coffee. Actual whitening of the enamel requires bleaching, which is all about time of contact, so toothpaste is not in contact long enough to cause any whitening, even with peroxide. Studies show the most effective toothpastes to be Crest Pro Health and Colgate Total. I used Jason's anticavity toothpaste, as it does not contain sulfates that have estrogenic properties in the body and are also irritating to the mucosal tissue.

Probiotics are great, and I take them daily. The good bacteria help produce vitamin K, keep bad bacteria and yeast at bay, and support the immune system. I highly recommended a good probiotic, as well as a multivitamin, since most diets are not sufficient to get the necessary daily nutrition. Even if you get enough to prevent deficiencies, you won't be getting enough to get the benefits of higher dosages (vitamin C for immune support; vitamin A and E for antioxidant power, skin, and brain health; vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium for bone strength, etc). I take a lot of herbs, vitamins, minerals, mushroom extracts, and neurotrophics daily for overall health and energy.

When it comes to fluoride and mercury supplements, you are mistaken about the mercury, as this is a toxic metal, so is not supplemented. Mercury is found in the metal restorative material called amalgam, and is very minimally release after they are placed in the mouth. I prefer tooth colored restorative material myself for several reasons, but mercury exposure is not really one of them. The amalgam restorations should not be replaced unless there is something wrong with them, so any dentist that tells you different only wants your money. You actually get much greater exposure to mercury by the removal of amalgam restorations, as drilling on them produces heat and mercury gas, as well as particulate matter than will fall into your mouth and be swallowed.

Fluoride supplements would only be beneficial for young children under 8 years old with high risk of cavities, as the enamel of their permanent teeth is being formed prior to year 8, and fluoroapatite can be incorporated during this process. This is also why fluoride is added to water, and there is the additional benefit of contact of the fluoridated water with the teeth to help with remineralization. Adult ingestion of fluoride is not really beneficial, and is in fact bad because fluoride is a neurotoxin at high levels, and can also cause skeletal problems. For this reason, I do not believe water should be fluoridated. This causes unnecessary exposure for adults and children not at high risk of cavities. Children at risk should be treated on an individual basis with fluoride supplements and mouthrinses.

As far as root canal therapy not being necessary, this is completely false. When the pulp becomes irreversibly inflamed in a tooth, it can cause severe pain, and the only way to fix this is by removal of the pulp. If the pulp dies and becomes infected with bacteria due to fractures, deep cavities, or trauma, bone loss with occur below the roots as your body attempts to fight off the bacteria. The bacteria can get out the end of the root and cause an abscess, resulting in facial swelling, severe pain to biting, and in rare instances, death (getting into the brain space, or fascial spaces of the neck to inhibit breathing). With no blood flow into the tooth anymore, there is no way for your body to fight the bacteria, and antibiotics only give short term release by effecting the bacteria outside the roots. Root canal therapy allows removal of the necrotic pulp tissue within the tooth and disinfection of the canal space (killing of the bacteria inside the tooth), now allowing your body to heal itself and the lost bone to regenerate. Without root canal therapy, the only other option is extraction.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Diet is the major reason why third world countries may not have the dental decay that occurs in countries such as the USA, as refined sugars are harder to come by. As mentioned, sugars are the main thing that cause cavities, as it leads to the production of acid by the plaque bacteria that demineralizes the enamel, weakening it until a cavity is formed. Without the high sugar diet, the bacteria will not multiply as quickly either.

I too thought this must be one of the main causes, but like I said I have read a lot about this.
So… please explain this.

The AMISH.

If you don’t know a lot of Amish have never used a toothbrush.
They EAT sugar, and lots of it.

Here

Most meals are topped off with desserts. They can range from a layered jello dessert to cake to ice cream to homemade pies. The sweet tooth reigns in Amish communities. Many of the recipes that are a hit with the visitors are improved by the addition of sugar while they are being made.

The Amish do use sugar. It’s a common ingredient in their meals, and not only the sweet treats. However, this sugar intake is balanced out by the fact that they don’t consume sugars in processed foods and sodas like non-Amish tend to do. One of their famous bakes is something called a Shoofly pie - a scrumptious layered breakfast treat of gooey molasses, a cake-like center, and a crumb topping. So, don’t think for a minute that they are missing out on taste.

Do you know what shoofly pie is? It is the stickiest gooiest pie you can possibly imagine. If a pie could cause a cavity, it would be that pie.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Although no radiographs were taken and convenience sampling was employed, the author concluded that Amish children had a surprisingly low dental caries prevalence in spite of inadequate oral health care knowledge. The report attributed the low rate of sugar diet.

So here is a study saying their excellent teeth must be from low sugar but we know that isn’t true. So what is true?

www.foodbycountry.com...

6 POLITICS, ECONOMICS, AND NUTRITION Amish families generally receive adequate nutrition from their diets, although some nutritionists report that their diet may be slightly too high in sugar and carbohydrates. Read more: www.foodbycountry.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

More on the Amish, before someone say Oh’ it must be because they don’t use processed sugars, HOLD ON there!

www.heraldbulletin.com...

While we are on the topic, yes, the Amish are huge consumers of soda. To be honest, I’ve not met too many who are Coke fans. It seems to be Pepsi and Mountain Dew that are popular among the Amish. I think it’s one of those things where a tradition gains a foothold in a community and then it’s just hard to dislodge, so kudos to the Pepsi marketing people. That said, some Amish, especially New Order, like Gloria and family, tend towards healthier diets where soda pop of any kind is a rarity. But among certain Old Order groups, “pop” has become a mainstay.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Here is my opinion

Flossing really is a bandaid on an already bad situation. I’m going to use a horrible analogy,
If you have chronic diarrhea, toilet paper (toothbrush) will probably help, but wouldn’t a bidet (waterpik) be better and cleaner? LOL
Also neither of those two will solve the root issue of the problem what is causing the diarrhea. If you are really healthy there probably isn’t much to wipe in the first place.

It is my opinion that the microbiome (you mentioned probiotics) has a lot more to do with dental health than any manual cleaning. When I think of the Amish and those third world countries, I think about the bone building exercises they get. I think about their sleep patterns. I think about how much good bacteria they are exposed to every day.
I think there is so so much that we aren’t being told.

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 01:03 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join