It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major Baker's Duty PAD 2022 just for fun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 01:15 AM
link   
August 1946

Major Baker of the Indian Army is a veteran of the fighting in Burma. A lanky bean pole with blond hair, pale skin and blue eyes, he stands with Havildar Nayuduon at a deserted Calcutta intersection. Nayudu is built like a tank.

Yet Baker enjoys an unusually frank relationship with Nayudu. Baker was a newly minted 2nd Lieutenant and platoon leader three years ago. But he was quick to heed Havildar Nayudu's battle-hardened won wisdom.

Baker surveyed the two-story buildings and charcoaled overturned truck. The stench from uncollected rubbish and the death toll under the midday sun fills his nostrils.

Like the arrival of the monsoon, India's fate is breaking around communal riots and bloodshed. I owe my life three times over to Nayuduand others like him. I can't repay them by taking my quittance from my duties with my fellow officers and abandoning them.

Baker turns to Nayudu's turban. "The rest of the men assigned to burial details are due to arrive soon."

"The bodies by the Studebaker are too badly burned, so we won't be able to identify their religious denomination. Who knows what side of the deranged hatreds they might have come from and fallen victim to?" Nayudu grits his teeth and buries his cheeks.

"Such beastly acts...What awaits us." A lump forms in Baker's throat. Baker and Nayudu slip on facemasks.

A gust of wind lands newspaper scarps at Baker's feet. Glancing at the fragmented headlines, Unified India, partition, deaths.

The End

edit on 11-12-2022 by xpert11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Note to the reader: Havildar is the Indian Army (1857 - 1947) equivalent of Sergeant. When my brief tale is set, the Indian Army is drawing down in the face of the deteriorating security situation in India.

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 01:20 AM
link   
A very interesting if not Apocalyptic type story that has filled with me quite a few thoughts and feelings.

Thanks!
Johnny

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: xpert11

Bracing glimpse into a past over 75 years gone now.

It is sad that many Indians (and Pakistanis) decline to remember and honor their men who rendered laudable service in the world wars. Political situation was what it was, but time has not diminished the magnificence of their deeds.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Nice!!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Nicely written..
Really enjoyed it!!

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Thanks everyone. F2d5thCavv2, I have sent you a PM.

posted on Dec, 12 2022 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Replied.

Cheers

new topics

top topics

join