It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ginger Tea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

Are you familiar with fresh ginger tea?

This is an old favourite I heard of originally from my Oma. It's cheap and simple to prepare. I enjoy it's spicy flavour, and it I've found it works well for clearing up the sinuses.

I comes to mind, because some of the younger generations may be unfamiliar with fresh ginger tea.

Here are some of the benefits:

@wholefully.com: How To Make Fresh Ginger Tea

*Ginger is known as a common way to soothe upset stomach, like symptoms from motion sickness or pregnancy like indigestion or nausea. Many people recommend enjoying ginger regularly to help with digestion.
*It may help improve circulation.
*It can serve as an anti-inflammatory, thanks to the proteolytic enzymes in ginger. Ginger may help ease inflammation that contributes to headaches, sore throats, and coughs.
*Ginger can have a stimulating effect similar to that of caffeine…but it’s decaf!
*Ginger tea may help with menstrual cramps.
*It’s delicious!

It is fairly simple to prepare. I chop up a one inch piece per one cup of water. Then I set that to boil for 5 minutes. I steep for 15. Let it cool down a bit and enjoy!

Here is a better more detailed source that is similar, but not in my words...

@cookieandkate.com:

I tried several ginger tea methods, and the easiest way is truly the best way. Here’s how to do it:

*Thinly slice your fresh ginger. You don’t need to peel it first, but do rinse it and scrub off any visible dirt. Plan on about using about a one-inch piece of ginger per cup of tea.
*In a saucepan, combine the ginger with fresh water (use one cup of water per serving).
*Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer.
*Simmer for five minutes (or up to 10 minutes, if you want extra-strong tea). I usually think it’s pungent enough at five minutes.
*Pour the tea through a fine sieve to catch all of the ginger. If desired, serve your tea with a thin round of lemon or orange for some complementary acidity.
*You might also appreciate a light drizzle of honey or maple syrup, which will temper the fiery ginger flavor.

I believe this is relatively benign, however it's important to consider consulting with a nurse or physician if you plan on consuming large amounts. Most areas have access number that can provide health information over the phone.

edit on 7-12-2022 by dffrntkndfnml because: grammar

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: dffrntkndfnml

If you take a finger sized piece and grate it, you can squeeze some juice from it, it adds some zing to a smoothie, tastes really good with apples&berries.

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I grate ginger and orange rind into a French press. Add boiling water, 5 minutes of steep time and good to go.

When I am working a gig, I always do a 30 Oz French press an hour before showtime for any vocalists who want some.

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: XipeTotex

Thank you, I usually save the used ginger and add it to soups in the slow cooker. I like ginger in smoothies too, I generally go with apples and bananas together that way.

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

This is interesting, I haven't heard of this technique before. It like the idea because it is economical and I don't use my orange rinds often except for zest occasionally. Thank you,

edit on 7-12-2022 by dffrntkndfnml because: punctuation

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I always make ginger tea when I'm sick. Have added a bit of fresh lemon juice to it in the past, but grated Orange zest sounds divine.
edit on 7-12-2022 by AccessDenied because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

It does, and I tend to put the zest most often into my green waste.

I'm not sure if making fresh ginger tea is common knowledge or not.

I ran out of coffee today. My Oma's suggestion came to mind when I was looking at some of the empty shelving at my favourite grocery store. I consider myself Gen X. The youth I have talked to, haven't usually heard of making tea this way, hence this thread.

edit on 7-12-2022 by dffrntkndfnml because: spacing and grammar

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: dffrntkndfnml
a reply to: theatreboy

This is interesting, I haven't heard of this technique before. It like the idea because it is economical and I don't use my orange rinds often except for zest occasionally. Thank you,

Anytime. A cup before bed , and I sleep like a baby

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 05:37 PM
link   
i use a version of ginger tea.... great for the lungs and sinuses.

1 tbs grated ginger
1tbs thyme
1tbs honey

pour boiling water over it in a large cup and giver a good mix for about a minute.... skim off the top when it settles

works great

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Hi Brother, so wonderful to see you posting.

Thank you for your recipe, I wish you all the best!
:double:high:five!

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Will be trying all these recipes... when I had my vertigo episodes ginger was the only thing that would ease my nausea. Love it raw dried or powdered eat a little bit every day.

I'll put hot green tea, a chunk of ginger, honey, and lemon juice in my Ninja and blend it well adding a little thyme.

Put on a sweater and sip from a mug while holding it with 2 hands like a little old lady

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6
Hopefully that does the trick!
I'm really enjoying all these suggestions. I made several cups earlier and it hit the spot.

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Ginger ..turmeric and black pepper ... Apple cider vinegar and lemon ... With hot water... Good in the mornings on empty stomach

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Hiram33

Thank you Hiram33, I was wondering what are the quantities use or is this more of an intuitive process?

I have those ingredients on hand and would like to give it a try. If you would, please suggest some ratios or quantity for a cup or whatever volume you usually prepare.

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: dffrntkndfnml
a reply to: XipeTotex

Thank you, I usually save the used ginger and add it to soups in the slow cooker. I like ginger in smoothies too, I generally go with apples and bananas together that way.

I make it by the gallon and use it almost daily. I make a drinking batch, where I use it only for drinking, often straight up, sometimes with honey, sometimes with honey and lemon.

I make a batch that would make the hairs stick up on your neck. I use that for cooking or to embellish another drink.

I use it to replace water when cooking pasta. I use the tea and the pulp in soups and smoothies also. I add it to other beverages when I want to give the drink to have a little kick or zing.

I love ginger. It is extremely versatile, you can even make candy with it. It is easy to use, and not very expensive.

edit on 7-12-2022 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Sweet, my suggestions are vanilla in comparison. I haven't imagined using it for cooking pasta for example. Lots of suggestions for me to experiment with.

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Just be careful when adding black pepper or red pepper to the dish. You will have to reduce the amount of any of those. Start with a 1 quarter of what you would use, and add up to taste.

Adding peppers to dishes with ginger really makes the dish hotter.

posted on Dec, 8 2022 @ 01:08 AM
link   

I use a blender to blend about a half thumb worth of ginger .. half a teaspoon of turmeric ... And add the black pepper it seems to have an effect of the Curcumin in the turmeric .. little splash of vinegar ... Half a lemon does the trick with hot water I like to use blender to get it mixed well..... Prepares the body for the day
edit on 8-12-2022 by Hiram33 because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 9 2022 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hiram33

I use a blender to blend about a half thumb worth of ginger .. half a teaspoon of turmeric ... And add the black pepper it seems to have an effect of the Curcumin in the turmeric .. little splash of vinegar ... Half a lemon does the trick with hot water I like to use blender to get it mixed well..... Prepares the body for the day

A huge believer in the benefits of ACV, turmeric, lemon, honey, and ginger. I can't always get good lemons here. Occasionally I'll use the TruCitrus lemon, its taste is the closest to fresh squeezed and is supposed to have the vitamin c and acidic benefits as well.

I'll splurge on getting really good honey and turmeric, I used to get good raw turmeric root but it's become hard to come by and is pretty expensive now too. H MART used to be my go-to but even there the quality and availability have gone way down

posted on Dec, 9 2022 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Are there Save On Foods in your area? They usually carry turmeric in small pieces in plastic sort of flat packs in the areas where they keep the mushrooms and small amounts of herbs. It's a little pricey but with turmeric a little goes a long way.

top topics

join