It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone say Thank You anymore?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I think I was born in the wrong time period.
I am definitely more suited for polite society.

Over the last few years I noticed that people rarely say thank you.
I am absolutely aware that you should not do things only to generate a thank you response, however that being said, it sure would be nice.

I’ll give some examples.
A loooong time friend said their child was having a hard time and asked for cards/etc for their birthday.
A lot of us sent gifts etc, and there was no acknowledgment or thank you.
Another friend asked for advice in an area that I’m an expert in. I gave a few hours of my time. The friend took credit for the project with ZERO thanks or acknowledgement of help.
Helped another friend with ONE condition, only one and they broke it. I did not charge for something that is normally very expensive.
I was really disappointed because they understood and agreed to the condition. (To not tell others I did it so I wouldn’t be solicited for free again, which I was)

Now here is where it gets WEIRD.
I find when I myself do say thank you people get weirded out. Maybe because they are so used to not hearing it.
For example.
When a gentleman opens a door for me, quickly say thank you. Some are very taken aback.
When a friend goes out of their way, I acknowledge it and say thank you. It is often met with silence.
If someone gives me a gift no matter how small I say thank you, I was told by one friend that friends don’t say thank you. WHAT? Is that really a thing?

I think we are really slacking at home and in schools in this area.
I noticed this also seemed to collide with the explosion of social media.
I think the rudeness, the brashness of what people are watching is directly affecting our social interactions.

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Back when I was stressed all the time I never said thank you.. after being sick and nearly dying, I am saying thank you everyday to everyone and myself, thank you, being a modest and thankful is like a virus it spreads when you gets it going.

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I really agree with you manners are disappearing fast.

This is what i don’t get! I was on a train recently, and standing in the aisle there were no seats.

I heard a voic from behind me say “sorry” didn’t think much of it I thought the we’re talking to someone else.

I heard “sorry” twice more.

I looked at them they said sorry gesturing to get past me.

I explained to them sorry is the wrong choice to use, as sorry does not replace “excuse me please”

They then barged last me

They looked at me like I killed their dog.

Manners are a dying art.

edit on 6-12-2022 by robsmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Kinda like when traffic is all backed up. There’s someone on a side street that you let in. They don’t wave or mouth ‘thank you’. Then they proceed to pull out at 1 mile per hour, then get up to a whopping speed of 20, in a 35 - causing over 20 cars to miss the green light. Why is it than when this happens, 50% of the perpetrators have California plates….

I wish there was a way to slap them right across the face.

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 02:28 PM
link   
It depends where you live and it depends who you've allowed to be in charge of teaching your children.

Hint - don't let eugenic Gates anywhere near your children

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

Kinda like when traffic is all backed up. There’s someone on a side street that you let in. They don’t wave or mouth ‘thank you’. Then they proceed to pull out at 1 mile per hour, then get up to a whopping speed of 20, in a 35 - causing over 20 cars to miss the green light. Why is it than when this happens, 50% of the perpetrators have California plates….

That’s EXACTLY what I’m talking about. Common DECENCY!!
Wouldn’t the world be a better place?

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I am older and I say thank you a lot to people yet. I do it quite often when I ask for locations of things when out shopping and when people give me a hand doing things. It is kind of an automatic thing. I also say it when waitresses come and give me more coffee or when the girls take our plates if we go to the Hong Kong buffet...seems like we don't go out and eat anywhere than the Asian places anymore, because I suck at making oriental food but we can make almost everything else really good.

I do not see many people saying thanks that as much anymore but did not really think about it till you mentioned it. I guess you have been attention more than I was...I just make sure I am doing it to show I appreciate their help even though they are getting paid usually to do their job.

My great grand daughter is very polite, she says thank you quite often when she gets something. I get thanks for when I give them medicinal soups or homemade rolls or pasties. I got thanked when I gave them a bunch of meat from the half cow too.

When someone used to thank me for helping them I usually respond "no problem" Don't know why I say that, been doing it forever, my father used to say that too...I probably picked it up from him. Could be a yooper response too.

Once you made me aware of it it got me thinking about it. It is actually quite rare to hear thank you from people assisting others in stores or restaurants these days I guess. Probably because society is getting entitles more.

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: KKLOCO

That’s EXACTLY what I’m talking about. Common DECENCY!!
Wouldn’t the world be a better place?

Your stories remind me of ‘insult to injury’.

It was already getting bad before the plandemic. Since then, it’s gotten way worse. The phrase ‘dog eat dog world’ comes to mind. They all got used to fighting over toilet paper as a common day practice.

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Social media doesn't help but I'm unsure if it's the cause.

There's mannerisms at home then there's the ones we share with strangers. In my experience there's less manners at home than outside. I've always wondered how aware of that others are. Telephone voice comes to mind.

Which is where I notice it the most these days, it's rare to find customer services that speak 'proper' English. It's all accents and slang these days. Leads me to think a loss of awareness and comfort helps people act like this.

Basic mannerisms usually come from the homestead, maybe a lack of teaching too? I remember the kindness of strangers teaching me manners too which is an iffy thing in today's societies. I imagine fears around confrontation subconsciously play a role too.

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

Your stories remind me of ‘insult to injury’. It was already getting bad before the plandemic. Since then, it’s gotten way worse. The phrase ‘dog eat dog world’ comes to mind. They all got used to fighting over toilet paper as a common day practice.

We are on the same wavelength on this subject. This is exactly what I’m talking about.
Has our society degraded so much in just a few years? The way people act at the store is downright embarrassing.
I noticed that a lot of cashiers or workers won’t even talk anymore, not sure I can blame them.
Customers can be brutal.

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

A case against "no problem"

Some people think too much lol in a world where being socially awkward is probably encouraged.

Don't smile and show your teeth! It's a sign of aggression...

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Basic mannerisms usually come from the homestead, maybe a lack of teaching too? I remember the kindness of strangers teaching me manners too which is an iffy thing in today's societies. I imagine fears around confrontation subconsciously play a role too.

That is definitely one facet that is GONE. In the past stranger, friends and “the village” was as responsible for “raising” a child. Now that is all convoluted and twisted. For those of you that have seen Mad Men, remember that scene when the Family Friend slaps the daylights out of the kid? I’m not necessary talking about going back that far, but what is happening now is not acceptable either.

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: robsmith
I heard a voice from behind me say “sorry” didn’t think much of it I thought they we’re talking to someone else.

You Failed.

Manners are a dying art.

Did YOU say "Sorry" for ignoring THEM?

Hypocrisy.

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Don't smile and show your teeth! It's a sign of aggression...

Maybe that is my problem I have a big toothy grin, and one of my canines is extra sharp. I like it because it gives a little bit of a vampire vibe but maybe subconsciously it’s giving aggression vibes. 😬

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Did YOU say "Sorry" for ignoring THEM? Hypocrisy.

It’s not hypocrisy because he was minding his own business not realizing they were talking to him.
It is their fault for not speaking correctly.

They could have combined the words. “Sorry, Excuse me”
Or just “excuse me”, but just to say sorry. Sorry about what? For all we know they could have stepped on someone’s toes.

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I have no problem being kind. I also have no problem being an arsehole when it is needed.

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I'm old enough to remember a slap!

I might be one of the last generations to be raised that way. It really does take a village, we're supposed to be raising members of society not pets.

I was joking with that post but the younger generations do have ideas on smiling and how we sometimes awkwardly show manners. They're raising themselves it seems.

Another thing I'd like to add is manners is linked with culture and we're all supposed to be 1 big happy society.

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 03:42 PM
link   
People don't think of saying thank you for something they feel entitled to.

I've made and gift quilts for many years, and am an advanced quilter. Most of the recipients say thank you and send a thank you note in the mail. I've forgotten how many and who they all are, but I remember the ones that didn't even acknowledge the gift. I found myself wondering if they didn't like it? Or perhaps none of their weddings guests received a thank you for their gift?
It doesn't matter if I get a thank you, but I'm more likely to keep giving things to people I know appreciate it.

My granddaughters' third birthday was in a park, and on the way to the picnic area I overheard my daughter coaching her:
Mom: "What do you say when someone gives you a present?"
BD girl: "Thank you."
Mom: "And what do you say if you don't like it?"
BD girl: "Thank you."

It's paid off in spades. She is very cognizant of others' feelings, and has always been a favorite everywhere she goes-because she has been taught good manners and compassion for others.

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I try to be polite to people as well, i always offer a handshake when meeting people as an example. The people that don't know how to shake hands properly instantly go on my asshole list. Flimsy, weak wristed folk can't be trusted.

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I wasn't in the mood for a senseless rant, and didn't read it.

What can I say...

Thank you?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join