It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of Portland-area felony cases dismissed over public defender staffing shortages

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2022 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
a reply to: jerryznv

And thus the motivation for more public defenders.

But is it that there is a drastic loss of numbers or recent upsurge in crime the actual problem?

Let them wait in jail until a public defender is available.

I agree there needs to be more public defenders then...but what do you consider a reasonable amount of time for an innocent person (or guilty) to sit and wait? Ten...twenty years?

Since the statistics aren't available (not that they would matter) it would be difficult to know if the upsurge in crime is actually the problem!

I don't think it's rational to circumvent the whole judicial process all together and just sit until you're proven guilty...or innocent...which ever!

What if (ya...hypothetically) a public defender never became available to assist in your defense or protect your rights?

posted on Dec, 5 2022 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Let them wait in jail until a public defender is available. Maybe they get time served? Maybe they learn that actions have consequences?

I get the sentiment, but speedy trial laws prevent that...

posted on Dec, 5 2022 @ 10:17 PM
link   

edit on Mon Dec 5 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Let’s say a guy was up on petty burglary. Hitting houses in a two minute drill, in and out with what he could reasonably carry or stuff in his pockets. Watch, rings, cash, keys to second car tops.

Do we let them sit if we happen to catch him. Because he isn’t walking around with a flashlight, 3’ crowbar and mask all the time. Or do we let him go to rob 20-30 more homes and hope we catch him again when a public defender might be available? Who knows he may have pinched a gun by then and shot a few so it can be upped to aggravated robbery, assault with a deadly weapon or maybe a few murders…

I mean we would hate to inconvenience the guy from pawning, Craiglisting and Ebaying another dozen or so Xboxes and PS5’s.

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 05:41 PM
link   
imho the problem is that these cities have masses of African Americans, who will vote Democrat no matter what, and masses of educated idiots who ignore crime until it shows on their doorstep. they close their eyes to their neighbors.

I rather doubt their media is running stories on how soft-on-crime is making things bad. doesn't fit the Democrat agenda.

I suspect the ruling classes are in gated communities, unaffected. businesses? Go broke or close or move, Democrats don't care.

until big blocs start voting Republican these cities will continue to be crapholes.

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The other aspect of this that I haven't seen anyone talk about is the statute of limitations. Once charged with a crime, one has the right to have an expedited trial. If the city, county or state can not prosecute you within that time frame then the charges are dropped. If I remember right there are two exceptions, rape and murder.

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: shaneslaughta
The other aspect of this that I haven't seen anyone talk about is the statute of limitations. Once charged with a crime, one has the right to have an expedited trial. If the city, county or state can not prosecute you within that time frame then the charges are dropped. If I remember right there are two exceptions, rape and murder.

I think any capitol crime honestly!

Not a 100% sure and I haven't looked it up...but I believe all capitol crimes are excluded from the statute of limitations!

Capital crimes have no statute of limitations. A person who commits a capital offense under federal law can be indicted and prosecuted at any time until the end of their life. Terrorism is also not subject to any statute of limitations where the offense caused death or serious bodily injury or harm (18 USC 3286). Sexual offenses against children also have no statute of limitations (18 USC 3283) .

LINK

This was on Google...I'll go find a link!

edit on 7-12-2022 by jerryznv because: random

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: jerryznv

Yeah, I thought it was something like that. Thanks for clarifying.

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero

they can re-file the charges if/when the PD situation changes.

in what used to be one of the most highly regarded cities in the US

anyone with personal experience with?

I live 20 mins from downtown Portland and it has deteriorated in that last 10 years into the cesspool it is today.

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Jogger rapist link

I knew I'd run by this again at some point!

I guess I could of edited and added it to my posts already...but WTH...this was a good thread!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join