It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ITT: Exploring Oil Pulling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2022 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Hello there,

I was visiting my dentist and someone reminded me about the importance of practising flossing. It brought to mind the link between oral and heart health.

Have you heard of oil pulling?

This is a practice that originated with the South Asians, as a tool for improving health.

Here are some of the benefits that often come up in conversations about oil pulling:
8 Benefits of Coconut Oil Pulling

*Removes bacteria in the mouth
*Helps prevent cavities and gingivitis
*Whitens teeth and improves bad breath
*Helps heal bleeding gums
*Helps detox the body
*Supports normal kidney function
*Boosts the immune system
*Helps fight inflammation

^These are stated for using coconut oil. I feel these benefits may apply when using other oils. When I practice oil pulling I usually go with sunflower oil. Traditionally, I believe sesame oil is recommended.

What is this?

Oil pulling for me, is taking a small quantity of oil and placing it in your mouth. I lean towards using several tablespoons. I've found that a larger quantity tends to make the taste smoother, and increases the work out for my facial muscles.

Once the oil is in my mouth, I vigorously swish it from side to side. This is not gargling. You don't want to swallow it.

The oil will change into a watery composition, and then you're done. Spit it out, preferably in a trash can.

I don't recall any downsides to practising this technique. Avoid swallowing the oil, it supposed to draw toxins out of the body. Go easy starting out on the time too. Your facial muscles may tire, or you may experience detox or Herxheimer reaction side effects. I like to go until the oil changes composition.That signals to me the oil is used up, though I feel it's not necessary to reap the benefits.

I have experimented with this to help with hangovers before and after going to bed. It does seem to help whiten teeth, imo. With the amount of blood circulating through this part of our body, I feel this is an economical easy way to improve health. I like the swishing too, facial muscles, and the neck often droop over time. This helps to tone that.

As with anything your mileage may vary.
Salud!

edit on 5-12-2022 by dffrntkndfnml because: I came back to this, misc. edits mostly grammar and spacing

posted on Dec, 5 2022 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: dffrntkndfnml
Oil pulling is a part of ayerevedic medicine....indian .... Using black sesami oil.... It works

edit on 5-12-2022 by Hiram33 because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 5 2022 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Hiram33
I haven't tried with sesame oil. I tend to use sunflower oil because it's economical.

Coconut oil is great too, though I prefer eating it or using it in other ways.

In any case, I look at oil pulling as a tool for improving health. Practicing a holistic approach to health gets the best results, imo.

edit on 5-12-2022 by dffrntkndfnml because: spacing, grammar

posted on Dec, 5 2022 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Although brushing twice a day has served me well, I think it's rough on your teeth/gums. It is so important to have a healthy mouth. All our systems merge there.

I need to do this. Thank you for the post.

edit on 12 5 2022 by BelleEpoque because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2022 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: BelleEpoque
You're welcome.

That reminds me to floss right now.

top topics

join