It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internal chatter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Today I was on Tiktok during my lunch break and came across a new trendy topic that caught my attention.

A lot of people were claiming that only 30% of the population experiences an internal dialogue (or monologue). So I thought, "this can't be accurate", so I looked further and apparently it's true!
multiple studies concluded that somewhere between 50% and 70% op people actually never experienced having an internal dialogue! They don't have an inner voice!

Then I asked my husband: "do you have an inner voice that you have conversations with?" And he looked at me as if I was asking the weirdest question and said: "what? No of course not! do you"?
Well yes I do, every day, none stop, all day long... I discuss everything with my self, and I 'hear' several versions of me... And now he claims it's not normal to talk to yourself in your head. He really has no idea what voice I'm talking about.

I am honestly shocked after learning about this! completely blew my mind!
How do people that don't have internal conversations even go through life? (honest question here)

internal dialogical activity specifically applies to the exchange of thoughts or ideas between at least two I-positions representing specific points of view

Inner thoughts are not the same as internal monologue

Lot's of info on the net for those interested in it,

The big question is:
Do you have it?

Edit: an hour after I wrote the OP, my husband asks me:
"what did you say?" I reply I said nothing to him, he says "oh, must have been your other voice then!"

edit on 3-12-2022 by KindraLabelle2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-12-2022 by KindraLabelle2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: KindraLabelle2

The big question is:
Do you have it?

Definitely. My family all thought I was crazy, because I acknowledged it all the time. They'd say that Jesus told them "my inner voice" was actually Satan's voice, lol. You know, like the famous meme of Satan on one shoulder and Jesus on the other?

edit on 3-12-2022 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Can confirm. I don't experience actual language in my thoughts unless I imitate a third party relationship with myself which feels slightly unhinged. Reading is the most common example of this relationship, which as I'm reading my own words, sounds like I'm speaking into a shoebox. Ooof.

edit on 3-12-2022 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Definitely. My family all thought I was crazy, because I acknowledged it all the time. They'd say that Jesus told them "my inner voice" was actually Satan's voice, lol. You know, like the famous meme of Satan on one shoulder and Jesus on the other?

wow that is messed up

did they actually mean it? or was it said as a joke?

I'm now asking everyone I know about it, but so far my own husband thinks there is something wrong with me, lol... I'm curious about how the rest of them respond

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Always, constantly all the time

originally posted by: KindraLabelle2
Today I was on Tiktok during my lunch break and came across a new trendy topic that caught my attention.

A lot of people were claiming that only 30% of the population experiences an internal dialogue (or monologue). So I thought, "this can't be accurate", so I looked further and apparently it's true!
multiple studies concluded that somewhere between 50% and 70% op people actually never experienced having an internal dialogue! They don't have an inner voice!

Then I asked my husband: "do you have an inner voice that you have conversations with?" And he looked at me as if I was asking the weirdest question and said: "what? No of course not! do you"?
Well yes I do, every day, none stop, all day long... I discuss everything with my self, and I 'hear' several versions of me... And now he claims it's not normal to talk to yourself in your head. He really has no idea what voice I'm talking about.

I am honestly shocked after learning about this! completely blew my mind!
How do people that don't have internal conversations even go through life? (honest question here)

internal dialogical activity specifically applies to the exchange of thoughts or ideas between at least two I-positions representing specific points of view

Inner thoughts are not the same as internal monologue

Lot's of info on the net for those interested in it,

The big question is:
Do you have it?

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I always thought that the inner voice is your conscience and you're telling me that 50-70% of people don't have one?

WTF?

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Can confirm. I don't experience actual language in my thoughts unless I imitate a third party relationship with myself which feels slightly unhinged. Reading is the most common example of this relationship, which as I'm reading my own words, sounds like I'm speaking into a shoebox. Ooof.

I cannot wrap my head around that! lol
when I read I hear the characters different voices as clearly as if I would read out loud

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

I always thought that the inner voice is your conscience and you're telling me that 50-70% of people don't have one?

WTF?

explains a lot!

Some have come up with the theory that those without an inner voice are NPC's in the simulation

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

I cannot wrap my head around that! lol
when I read I hear the characters different voices as clearly as if I would read out loud

Me too.

I attribute accents even.

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 12:37 PM
link   

did they actually mean it? or was it said as a joke?

They meant it. My mother actually had the preacher exercise me of demons a few times.

My "inner voice" scarred them. It questioned if Jesus really existed, since Santa was a lie. It questioned how a loving God could send Simon and Garfunkle and my atheist grandparents to Hell.

My family and our preacher heard "inner voices" too, but their voices didn't question things. Their voices were, therefore, from Jesus. Mine were obviously from Satan. The Devil lived inside my head, or so I was told.

edit on 3-12-2022 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 12:39 PM
link   

WTF?

explains a lot!

Some have come up with the theory that those without an inner voice are NPC's in the simulation

Explains a lot indeed...

I could never understand the reasons that "people" do evil things but hearing that possibly, only 30% of us have a recognised conscience? Well it starts to make sense.
edit on 3122022 by Wide-Eyes because: Unnecessary waffle

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Yes I have internal dialogue to the point that I drive myself nuts sometimes.

edit on 12/3/2022 by MykeNukem because: eh?

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Wow.

FWIW, I think your "internal voice" is perfectly normal.

I wonder how the 50 to 70% think ...

Cheers

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

Internal, fix the title please.

My internal dialogue is one guy saying "it's ok", while the other guy is twitching from the typo...

LOL, fixed it

it's because of a half broken keyboard that skips letters when I don't press hard enough, but anyway, I hadn't noticed, so thanks

PS, your inner voice sounds grumpy!

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

Internal, fix the title please.

My internal dialogue is one guy saying "it's ok", while the other guy is twitching from the typo...

LOL, fixed it

it's because of a half broken keyboard that skips letters when I don't press hard enough, but anyway, I hadn't noticed, so thanks

PS, your inner voice sounds grumpy!

Mine does that with the "L" key if I don't press hard. Sorry OCD, especially when there is time to fix it, literally makes me antsy. LOL

Internal and external is grumpy, haha...

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

They meant it. My mother actually had the preacher exercise me of demons a few times.

My "inner voice" scarred them. It questioned if Jesus really existed, since Santa was a lie. It questioned how a loving God could send Simon and Garfunkle and my atheist grandparents to Hell.

My family and our preacher heard "inner voices" too, but their voices didn't question things. Their voices were, therefore, from Jesus. Mine were obviously from Satan. The Devil lived inside my head, or so I was told.

WOW, that is messed up! I honestly have no words...

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I have it, i think its an error in the mind, some type of neural problem.

It goes away if i eat a large amount of fresh lions mane mushroom, like a steak size piece.

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

How do you explain murderers saying the voice in their head told them to kill then?
edit on 3/12/2022 by glen200376 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Explains a lot indeed...

I could never understand the reasons that "people" do evil things but hearing that possibly, only 30% of us have a recognised conscience? Well it starts to make sense.

I don't think that the inner voices are our conscious ...

We 'hear' thoughts, some can 'see' thoughts, and others have thoughts without a auditory or visual presentation of them in their head. But they do have thoughts and a conscious.
Taking my own husband as an example again, I know he has a conscious, he feels guilt just the same as I do

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: XipeTotex

I have it, i think its an error in the mind, some type of neural problem.

what? No, it is perfectly normal, not some neural problem.
How did you get that idea?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join