It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco Can Now Use Robots to Kill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Killer Robots...? In San Francisco...? You'd think I were talking about a sci-fi movie but this is in real life. A proposal was passed by the San Francisco city board of Supervisors with a vote of 8-3 which will allow the SFPD to use Robots to kill in situations where all other options have been exhausted.

The language was included in a new “Law Enforcement Equipment Policy” filed by the San Francisco Police Department in response to California Assembly Bill 481, which requires a written inventory of the military equipment utilized by law enforcement. The document submitted to the board of supervisors includes — among other things — the Lenco BearCat armored vehicle, flash-bang grenades and 15 submachine guns.

The inventory also names 17 robots owned by the SFPD — 12 of which are fully functioning. None are designed specifically for killing. They’re mostly used to detect and dispose of bombs — something police departments have been doing for years. The language included in the proposal effectively allows for these — or other — robots to kill in order to save the lives of officers or the public.

I think this is a very slippery slope? I think there are A LOT ways this can go wrong. What do you think, ATS?

techcrunch.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

In five years time, these things are roving the streets looking for perps based on face recognition.

Sorry to all the twins out there.

It gets out of control and a person with a grudge hacks the system and uploads police faces to the data base.

Police then decide to turn off all of the robots because they didn't see it coming.

Not a difficult stretch of the imagination.

P

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 12:33 AM
link   
but they can't make a public toilet that works for more than
a week.

yeah,
what could go wrong with armed robots?

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 12:35 AM
link   

There's no possible way that a bad actor can compromise these devices in some fashion since they all have to be managed remotely. Heck, all it takes is an employee with a grudge, which brings to mind the two that held the red light system in LA hostage for four days. Linky

Now you add in outside threats along with the insider threats, and congratulations, you have a very hazardous situation that will occur. It will likely take a single accident in some fashion, and it will hopefully be shut down. Who knows, we're likely on our way to the Psycho Pass Sibel system as it is.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 01:19 AM
link   

In Europe, there are little carts that guys drive around that have a powerful vacuum with a hose attached to it. They go through the town squares etc. and vacuum up dog turds.

Here is an example, but these ones having people who "walk" them.

I think SF should robotize those devices and let them de-turd the city.

Deciding the waste dump location for that activity could be a real NIMBY-fest.

Cheers
edit on 2-12-2022 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-12-2022 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

So they can suck up the liquified remains of society?

I remember when RoboCop had a personality. His biggest flaw perhaps?

Applying idealism to the robots never works!

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 02:52 AM
link   

It's scary. You want if you get killed your murderer to have a conscious.
On the other hand I can sympathise with the law enforcement people, it's a risky job and they know it when they sign up for it etc. but the employer is responsible to reduce the risk of harm.
There are some sick puppies out and about.
In an environment like this with all the political and social division it feels like a threat though.
An upgrade when you know the 'risk' of social unrest increases.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Wont be long before we have moto-terminators patrolling the road.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

It gets out of control and a person with a grudge hacks the system and uploads police faces to the data base.

If I was Pelosi I'd be worried.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 08:34 AM
link   
presumably this will be remote-controlled and will not be able to fire unless the operator tells it.

but machines malfunction all the time, so inevitably it will misfire and hurt people.

and we aren't even talking AI yet

definitely a move in the wrong direction.
ironic as so many SF people are police defunders.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Or because of that?

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The Dallas PD used a similar "robot" to kill a sniper who took out several Dallas PD officers in 2016. Honestly, as long as it does not act autonomously, then I'm ok with this tool being used. If you want to hole up and get into a armed standoff? Well, expect this instead of human targets...it will save officers lives.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Honestly, as long as it does not act autonomously, then I'm ok with this tool being used.

Im ok with swallowing my humanity as well..actually it gets easier every time.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Think? I think anyone living in these cities is nuts!

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 02:07 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Are they made by that voting machine company?

Are drones robots?
edit on 3-12-2022 by Dalamax because: Eta

posted on Dec, 3 2022 @ 04:14 PM
link   
All my favorite movies in the 80’s are coming to fruition. I think robot teachers will be next. Class of 1999, I can see that happening as well. I wonder if something of this magnitude would deter the criminals? I guess we will find out.

posted on Dec, 4 2022 @ 08:00 PM
link   
It's straight up AI operated fascism. This is going to go wrong in so many ways it's unreal. Think of all the times a drone strike, going on bad intel, ended up blowing up a wedding, or a school full of kids. We can't trust cops as is, and we want to give them killer robots? Seriously?

posted on Dec, 7 2022 @ 04:29 AM
link   
San Francisco says no to armed robot things

www.cnn.com...

San Francisco officials voted Tuesday against a controversial measure that would have allowed police to deploy robots to use lethal force in extreme situations, reversing course after public outcry against the policy.

The about-face from the San Francisco Board of Supervisors comes a week after the board voted to approve the policy in an initial first reading vote, which prompted a protest at City Hall Monday, with some holding signs that said, “NO KILLER ROBOTS!”

good.
but the idea is out and will undoubtedly be tried again.
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: add pic

new topics

top topics

join