It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common joint pain treatment may be making arthritis worse, studies suggest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2022 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Source:

Wow. I'm almost relieved. I had been resentful of all my friends who healthcare providers allowed for this "standard approach" for treating osteoarthritis with steroids while I suffered without. Now, I'm not sure if it wasn't a good thing:

A common injection for treating arthritis may be speeding up the onset of the disease rather than preventing it, according to new studies.
Both of the studies were presented Tuesday at the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America...

... In the second study, researchers at the Chicago Medical School of Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science studied the progression of osteoarthritis in patients who received injections of corticosteroids and hyaluronic acid.

Patients injected with corticosteroids had "significantly more" osteoarthritis progression – including medial joint space narrowing – than patients who received an injection of hyaluronic acid.

I'm not sure if I'm right to feel like I dodged a bullet or not. It seems like all the "naturally we are going to treat it with this" folks would feel, if they knew they had worsened - not improved their patients' condition.

Anyway... "science" right?

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxmars
Source:

Wow. I'm almost relieved. I had been resentful of all my friends who healthcare providers allowed for this "standard approach" for treating osteoarthritis with steroids while I suffered without. Now, I'm not sure if it wasn't a good thing:

A common injection for treating arthritis may be speeding up the onset of the disease rather than preventing it, according to new studies.
Both of the studies were presented Tuesday at the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America...

... In the second study, researchers at the Chicago Medical School of Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science studied the progression of osteoarthritis in patients who received injections of corticosteroids and hyaluronic acid.

Patients injected with corticosteroids had "significantly more" osteoarthritis progression – including medial joint space narrowing – than patients who received an injection of hyaluronic acid.

I'm not sure if I'm right to feel like I dodged a bullet or not. It seems like all the "naturally we are going to treat it with this" folks would feel, if they knew they had worsened - not improved their patients' condition.

Anyway... "science" right?

Something to keep an eye on. Remember that humans aren't mass-produced factory items. We vary so wildly that sometimes it's amazing that anything can be found to work on most of us. Larger studies may show that the number of adverse effects is fairly small.

It's something to watch for, though. I appreciate your finding the article.

I'd been eyeballing this treatment, though. I'm not quite ready for that but I can see something like it looming in the future. For right now, physical therapy is keeping most of the problems to a manageable level.

Looks like the problem may be the steroids themselves. I know several physicians who don't recommend them for arthritic joints and at least one talked about the steroids injection in joints making them worse. So it was somewhat known in the medical field before this study.

edit on 1-12-2022 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

I've decided that I will grin and bear it with over the counter pain relief and muscle relaxers to get through my arthritis and scoliosis. There are days when I could simply sit down and cry at how bad it hurts, but I also refuse to become addicted to the hard stuff, or end up in a cycle of mostly ineffective and expensive treatments.

Several of my coworkers go regularly to get Cortizone shots. The rate at which they have to keep getting them makes me question if it really is working as they say it should. Plus the shots are apparently quite painful at times.

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 02:14 AM
link   
About 10 years ago I had a frozen shoulder, it was not getting any better and was making my life an absolute misery. I eventually managed to get a cortisone injection after much pleading with my doctor. Almost immediately there was relief and over a few months much better movement.

Even knowing how much it might affect me later in life, I’d do it again as the quality of life at that time has to be considered.

I think people forget that the treatment (medication) or the cure can often come with downsides and that life is full of such compromises. If you are currently on a medication for life then you are undoubtedly doing your body long term harm, is that harm outweighed by your quality of life? That is your decision, in some fantasy land there are no repercussions to any treatment but not in this one.
edit on 1-12-2022 by Tortuga because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 02:26 AM
link   

I have the cure for joint pain. Well at least a good reduction -

Reduce intake of all - carbohydrates, sugars (incl fruit), and alcohol. And for most people - eliminate wheat and other gluten containing grains. Increase intake of meat and non-starchy vegetables.

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I don't think a single or maybe two shots of cortocosteroids would cause much problems. Like when you have a back problem and need a few injections to treat it so it heals up.

But giving cortocosteroid shots on a regular basis definitely would not be good from a lot of the research I have been reading.

You need a little proper inflammation to promote healing and regeneration. What they should be researching is how to restore proper control of it. There are many possible causes of hyperinflamation, such as too much histamine in the body and or food chemistry that increases histamine release from muscle stores. Some foods also disable histaminase which can cause flareups.

Too much of anything can be a problem. I have RA genes and also lupus and spondylizing ankelosis genes and close relatives that have had problems with those. I have been able to keep those problems at bay with diet but I do screw up occasionally because some of those foods are tasty and the wife likes them and has no problems with them. A little I can metabolize and detox, so I can have them occasionally...but have to restrict consumption or my problems will come back.

I knew five years ago that what they were using for treatment was not right, they chose to approve some meds that were not fully investigated as to side effects outside their research parameters. It happens a lot, they design meds to treat symptoms and not to cure diseases. Most doctors will verify that if you ask them right.

posted on Dec, 1 2022 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I think you are right. But I also know that some patients just want the "fix" to their pain, and some doctors are willing to administer steroids over and over (probably just to get the patient off their backs.)

Until now, I guess, no had quantified the damage that could lead to over time.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 12:38 AM
link   

So are you getting the magnesium you need?

Magnesium in joint health and osteoarthritis

This leads to an emerging hypothesis that the synergistic effect of magnesium and probiotics may open a new avenue for the prevention and treatment of OA.

Plain English info Magnesium for Arthritis: Pros and Cons
a leadin expert site is dr carolyn dean

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Here’s a book everyone should check out, regarding arthritis. Basically boron seems to help, the book is about borax and a conspiracy.

health-science-spirit.com...

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I had rheumatoid arthritis at 49 in my hands with big painful bumps appearing. Most of my family have it. I started taking Turmeric (4 capsules a day) and about a month later, they were completely gone. Mother was about to have shoulder surgery a couple years later. I told her to just try it as it helps some people. No surgery necessary after six weeks. Biggest mistake I made was trying this supplement years before with just one capsule which isn't enough to get the anti-inflammatory effect.

Someone else said it above, that eliminating bread helps, that's been true for me too.

Inflammation can be in a lot of places in your body. I never saw results from vitamins or supplements before I was 40, but I definitely see benefits being over 50.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Interesting, because the results of my knee xray were osteoarthritis and the only treatment I was given was exercise - get that healing blood flowing into the joints. I questioned the efficacy of other treatments such as fish oil and supplements used by other patients of theirs, but they said only exercise could help.

Although, I still add fresh ginger and turmeric, which is touted as anti-inflammatory agents into my tea every day.

edit on q000000131231America/Chicago0000America/Chicago12 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

edit on q000000141231America/Chicago1313America/Chicago12 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Diet, guys Diet, does wonders on any ailment of the body, we are what we eat, is soo true is not funny, most of the health issues we have as we age can be avoided or make it more manageable if we eat the right foods.

Corticosteroids are also linked to shorter lifespan.

new topics

top topics

join