It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU has warned Elon Musk that Twitter could be banned in Europe

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:
(post by andy06shake removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 4 2022 @ 07:19 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

(post by andy06shake removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 4 2022 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
They needn't bother. Musk is likely to implode and destroy the platform through his own incompetence, so there probably won't be anything left to ban. Give him a year, the problem will solve itself.

you sound jealous

posted on Dec, 4 2022 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Most of the US is actively dismantling and revoking this woke crap, on an increasing basis. It is destroying our country and if the EU does not get the hint, then twitter is better off without them.

We let way too many assholes get involved in our politics, and they have redirected it to attack race, religion, history and the education of our young. It is evil for the sake of evil and good riddance.
edit on 4-12-2022 by charlyv because: sp

posted on Dec, 4 2022 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Most of the US is actively dismantling and revoking this woke crap, on an increasing basis. It is destroying our country and if the EU does not get the hint, then twitter is better off without them.

We let way too many assholes get involved in our politics, and they have redirected it to attack race, religion, history and the education of our young. It is evil for the sake of evil and good riddance.

This is true but the process will be lengthy and not straight forward. Society has been hijacked by the woke culture and the woke activists. They are everywhere.

If you see the conversations above they want to censor everything and everyone who don't agree with them. Fascism in a few words.

Stating biological facts for example is considered transphobic and/or gate speech.

posted on Dec, 4 2022 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Says the fellows that wished to see homeless people taken off the streets and housed in tent cities out of sight and out of mind.

Somehow you made that up out of a plan to give the homeless free room and board on a voluntary basis. How, I don't know. But it was a bald-faced lie back then and it's a bald-faced lie today.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 4 2022 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Nothing is free in this world, not even speech, not even in America, there is always a cost to be had.

There is no financial implication in the phrase "free speech."

"Free speech" is the ability to speak one's mind without fear of government reprisal. Of course, I suppose you will twist that around to mean something else, too.

Keep showing your ignorance. I find it amusing.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 4 2022 @ 02:57 PM
link   

What I don't get and have asked several times is on what basis the EU or Apple will demand from twitter or any other platform to moderate content according to some arbitrary metrics.

The arbitrary metric on this occasion are the demands of the woke crowd that has invented phrases like hate speech and the rest.

Biological sex can never change regardless what some left wing activists and transgender ideologists say and believe. You should be able to state this fact and be able to be gender critical without any impact on your free speech.

posted on Dec, 4 2022 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Asmodeus3

Apple can demand based on the fact they are a private company. All they can do is not allow the Twitter app to run on Apple devices. Of course, that could call into question whether Apple is acting as a de facto monopoly, but that's another discussion; remember, though, that Microsoft got into serious trouble with the anti-trust laws simply because Microsoft Explorer was packaged with all Microsoft operating systems and Microsoft was purposely fighting Netscape.

The EU can control Twitter access to their citizens by force. That's the difference. People in, say, France can decide "Apple doesn't support Twitter; I think I'll buy Android instead." People in France cannot simply switch brands if the EU decides to outlaw Twitter. They are bypassing market forces to implement totalitarian censorship based on ideology.

I don't like Apple. Apple uses their technological capabilities to force users to buy their products exclusively since their products are all proprietary. Apple tries to exert market forces based on its own ideology. Apple tends to exercise more control over their users' use of their products than I think is appropriate. I wouldn't own an Apple. But they are a private company and thus can do as they will within the laws. That includes not allowing their users to use a specific app or advertising where they choose how they choose when they choose.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 4 2022 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: Asmodeus3

Apple can demand based on the fact they are a private company. All they can do is not allow the Twitter app to run on Apple devices. Of course, that could call into question whether Apple is acting as a de facto monopoly, but that's another discussion; remember, though, that Microsoft got into serious trouble with the anti-trust laws simply because Microsoft Explorer was packaged with all Microsoft operating systems and Microsoft was purposely fighting Netscape.

The EU can control Twitter access to their citizens by force. That's the difference. People in, say, France can decide "Apple doesn't support Twitter; I think I'll buy Android instead." People in France cannot simply switch brands if the EU decides to outlaw Twitter. They are bypassing market forces to implement totalitarian censorship based on ideology.

I don't like Apple. Apple uses their technological capabilities to force users to buy their products exclusively since their products are all proprietary. Apple tries to exert market forces based on its own ideology. Apple tends to exercise more control over their users' use of their products than I think is appropriate. I wouldn't own an Apple. But they are a private company and thus can do as they will within the laws. That includes not allowing their users to use a specific app or advertising where they choose how they choose when they choose.

TheRedneck

I don't have an Apple device anyway. They can demand what they want but twitter or any other private company are by no means obliged by law or by any other moral standard to agree to their demands. Simply is best not to have an Apple device and you do then change it in case the company doesn't allow the twitter app to run in their devices. I think this is can easily dealt with.

In the case of the EU that's more complicated because they are a political organisation representing hundreds of millions of people from different countries and cultures. They can decide to block access to twitter altogether but then they will open Pandora's box. They will be indistinguishable to China that blocks access to whatever they deem inappropriate. That's the definition of a totalitarian regime and a tyranny. I don't think it will go down well with several state members of the EU.

posted on Dec, 5 2022 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: vNex92
a reply to: alldaylong

There is a single response Elon Musk could use on Biden admin,Liberals/NeoCons. EU.

“It’s a private company so they can do what they want.”

posted on Dec, 5 2022 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
He should tell them to eat scat.

posted on Dec, 5 2022 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: HorrorRoach

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
They needn't bother. Musk is likely to implode and destroy the platform through his own incompetence, so there probably won't be anything left to ban. Give him a year, the problem will solve itself.

you sound jealous

posted on Dec, 5 2022 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

whie i have rolled my own WinCe and android (and other) flavours in my time sideloading any apps i've wanted, i tend to do that with my pixel camera apps, i've never had an apple device to bother but if I wanted an app they'd removed i'd certainly go that route and jail break my device..

posted on Dec, 6 2022 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: vNex92

I doubt Elon really cares

I know I don't.

Hey, if the left don't like it, do what you told us Conservatives to do, and what we did do.

You told us to go make our own, so we did (because we're builders and have the skills needed to create a parallel economy/society).

If the EU and anyone else doesn't like the free speech, go build your own..

Doh, I forgot...

Most of them have Degrees in Social Science and Underwater Basket Weaving..

Spose it might be a little harder for them to "make their own"..

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join