It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World cup newbie....American

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 06:40 PM
link   
So I got into PL during covid, or slightly before.

First off...West Ham United!

There, that is out of the way.

So the US plays Netherlands on Saturday. I decided to look at their stats to see what we are up against in the knockout round. But I don't know what stats to look at.

When you are comparing the teams, what stats really give an insight to the possible outcome?

Where I live, we have a Chelsea fan, 2 Man U fans and me. Not a lot of insight from them.

While I am at it, what are your thoughts on that match?

Thanks for helping me learn a bit about a sport I am coming to love.

ETA...off to cook my daughter dinner, back to check later.
edit on 29-11-2022 by theatreboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2022 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

Stats?
Lot of people read a lot into stats and I'm absolutely certain they play a massive part in the modern game.
There are all sorts of stats; corners won/concede. tackles won/concede, fouls for and against, aerial challenges won/lost, overall possession....the list is endless.

You really can get lost looking at stats.....and they don't tell the whole story.
Its not uncommon for a side to have as little as 40% possession but to win a game quite comfortably 2-0 or more.

For me personally form and tactics are more of a consideration.

I've backed The Netherlands to win the tournament, I think it'll be hard for the USA to beat them.
But I certainly wouldn't dismiss their chances especially if they play with the same intensity and drive they showed against England.
From what I've seen so far I'd say their biggest problem is lack of goals - they don't have a natural goalscorer.
Defensively they are reasonably solid and have options in midfield - but they lack quality in the final quarter of the pitch. It'll be hard for them to breach a well drilled and organised Dutch defence....but not impossible.

I think the long term goal is for the USA to have a truly competitive team in 2026 when they are co-hosts.
This is a young squad and if they keep on progressing as they are I can see them being a live threat to anyone in four years time.

The Hammers?
Ha ha....I know a fair few West Ham fans.

posted on Nov, 30 2022 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

West Ham?

Why you no sell Declan Rice?

That out of the way.

Netherlands will attempt to control possession and take well orchastrated shots. Ecuador shot the lights out vs them so there will be no shortage of chances if the USA has the same intensity they had when they had England pinned. No #9 hurts. Especially because The Dutch will have a beast in the center of their defence in Van Dijk. Usually anchoring a 3-4-1-2. Ake is wordclass too. De Jong stands out in central midfield and dual threats up front in Bergwijn and Gakpo.

It's actually a favorable upset matchup should the defence avoid mental breakdowns or give away a penalty. The US has the talent to play underdog and get by The Netherlands. Be unexpected if they did.
edit on 30-11-2022 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

new topics

join