It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Anyone Else seeing this? The "Workers" don't "Work"?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 12:37 PM
link   
OK, I have been on here long enough to know that anecdotal evidence and personal experience are evidence of nothing and only personal experience, but I swear, I'm seeing something really strange going on in work places I visit of late. And to some extent, this observation is backed up by "personal" experience of service workers and the like.

So, the wife and I were in a Walmart of late and happened to observe a Walmart worker in a relatively lonely aisle, lazily shifting product from one side of a shelf to another, all the while giving the occasional furtive glance up and down the aisle as if looking out for someone. She appeared to be a "30" something, but really "age" isn't the issue. We happened upon this aisle a couple of times in a 20 minute search of the store and each time, there she was......moving the product up and down the same shelf....pointlessly. My wife made the sotto voce comment, "they call that working" these days?

Well, on subsequent trips to Walmart, we've noticed similar behaviors of Walmart workers apparently....hiding from supervisors while engaged in pointless tasks.

But that brings me to the office of the Wife's Knee surgeon; great guy, did a knee replacement and it was quite the success. But we made numerous trips to that office and and as I would sit, waiting in one "hall" or waiting room after another, I came to observe a rather raucaus cacophony of female voices and laughter, comments and conversations. So, I started looking about and realized this Doctor's office, (3 Doctors practices) had about 20 or so offices filled, each with 2 or more female workers sitting behind computer screens. Most all were talking to one another, visiting others in other offices, or talking on the phones. Then I observed a great exodus of these happy employees, promptly at the strike of Noon as they left for Lunch. One day, I got to observe them returning to the office at 1:30 or so...back from Lunch whereupon they commenced.......chattering on phones or to each other. That was their work day.

Fast forward to....today. I am trying to get the little city near where I live to install a street sign, one that says "3rd Street" (yea, there's only 7) to support a sign outside of town directing people to a business. I have been trying to get the sign put up since August. In August the City "Clerk" ordered the sign while I sat in her office. (that was my third visit asking for the sign to be put up and she said, "tell you what, come into my office and I'll place the order right now so I don't forget".). Since then, I stop by every 2 weeks or so; she's always there, (except when she leaves for lunch) and ask about the sign. I have noticed her desk piled high with reports and paper work.....she's always on the phone. No sign. Finally, last month she said, yea, come into my office and I'll call and find out what happened. I sat in her office, she called only to find out that the guy who took the sign order in August had quit shortly thereafter and never put in the work order. She put in another order last month.......still no sign.

The Dentist's office.....same observation.
My friend's Funeral Parlor, hired a bookeeper lady in her 40's........9 months ago.....no work completed yet and he's afraid to fire her. But his bosses at the central office are threatening to fire him if the reports aren't completed. She says she'll get around to it.

Now, no, it isn't just female workers.......my electrician; promised to come out to the house to fix a plug.......never showed up after 3 promises.
The list goes on.
And then I read a story about 5 million able bodied men out of the work force......and they refuse to work. Houses can't get completed; pools can't be installed........Contractors can't find anyone to work.

I got to thinking about this, and decided to ask ATS.......are y'all seeing the same thing? Cause if you are....I'm starting to think....this is the "New Work Ethic". Take a job, sit on the phone, go to lunch, sit on the phone. And why 30 people in offices behind computer screens at a Doctors office, a Dentists office? Is it the case that they have to hire 1 person for each task? If that's the case.....is that how so many are staying out of the work force? The spouse or SO get's hired at "do nothing" job so the other spouse doesn't have to "work" (not that they would if they took a job).

One telling piece of evidence is the current round of layoffs, Microsoft, HP, Twitter, Facebook, etc. laying off tens of thousands of workers in the last 6 weeks. Elon Musk reportedly finding hundreds of Twitter workers with overlapping functions that mostly "went to lunch".

If this is the new "REAL" we're DOOMED
What does ATS report?

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Maybe disconnection? People work for money, not because they care about the company or their boss, or the task they're doing.
Mixed with a little hedonism maybe.
For some they probably think they're just doing it until their breakthrough comes.

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
Now, no, it isn't just female workers.......my electrician; promised to come out to the house to fix a plug.......never showed up after 3 promises.

I bet he never showed up because it involved a woman.

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
If this is the new "REAL" we're DOOMED
What does ATS report?

The HIPPIES Were Right.

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 01:03 PM
link   
There is a new trend going around called quiet quitting, meaning not actually quitting but only doing the bare minimum to stay employed. I think since the pandemic, a lot of people have reevaluated their life and decided working themselves to death for a company that doesn’t appreciate you isn’t worth it in the long run.

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I have this issue. I have two proofers who are problematic. Both are slow. One is just glacially slow, but she's steady and thorough. She just backs up process behind her.

The other is much like you describe. She comes in, gripes about how boring it is (she only works 4 hours), and proceeds to spend at least first hour and a half to two hours doing her personal finances or scrolling her phone, ignoring any and all jobs delegated to her.

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Chuckles55

Of course you aren't appreciated if you don't make yourself worth it.

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I have the worst team in about 30 years of doing what I do.

Of course I’d never say that to them and am working on coaching them to success.

They are drones.

Can’t prioritize, think proactively, or self start.

They need their hand held through everything and the managers and supervisors have to constantly check their work and more often than not have to have things redone.

Work pass on and follow through is mostly nonexistent.

The attendance sucks as well.

When I talk with other people that I know I hear the same story.

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 01:22 PM
link   
What is happening here is simple-
You have started to notice the NPCs of the simulation.

Best way to fix the issue is never stare right at them-just keep them in your peripheral vision and your brain will return to the comforting illusion that they are actual real people.

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Where I live currently, contractors don't show up. If you give them a small job, they don't show up. If you give them a big money job, they still don't show up. They generally don't do that great of work, either. I've resorted to DIY as much as possible, but now we need an electrician. The first one we called came out, gave an estimate, enthusiastically accepted the job, then never came back to do it. We called them twice. Gone.

The second electrician promised for a month each week to come out and fix the outlets in one room. They never showed up. I stopped bothering them. Guess they don't want my money.

I understand the working-the-bare-minimum attitude in an office setting and how people have adapted that "lifestyle" these days, but contractors? Especially the one with the nerve to come out, quote, and accept the job and not come back out to do it? C'mon, really!

edit on 11/29/22 by servovenford because: horrible typo

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

I've been saying more and more often, people are beginning to appear as little animatronic robots, like in It's A Small World, just not as cute and pleasant. Not at all.

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: NorthOfStuff

See, I don't get it. Personally if I take on the job, I can't feel satisfied if I don't live up to my personal standards. I can't dog it and stay satisfied. So this attitude is foreign to me.

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I noticed this with some workmates years ago already. Some are very lazy and have no pride in their work either. That was when I was in data analysis.

Had a workmate that would do private stuff on the company time and get nothing done. Not even competent in what she did. If she made a mistake or just flat out not preparing correctly and was called out, would get grumpy and first thing to do is go for a smoke, wasting more time. Letting the others figure out the problem, that most often, was made by her.

Doubling down on not delivering! Like as if to say "Why do you disturb me in my haze, now I am grumpy and see what you did to me, I need a break because of you all". I was new in the company and striving for doing a good job, because I was in the middle of correcting my life and I was hungry for success. She hated me, because I would, without exaggerating, do like ten times as many tasks. And that was not hard because she got nothing done.

When I then got a car on company bill to take home, she snapped and went to the boss raging about how it's unfair that I get the car that she was (allegedly) supposed to get.

TLDR: People are lazy even in a relaxed work environment. They adapt down until the are not working at all. And many of these people called their work "slaving" when they were not actually working hard.
edit on 29.11.2022 by TDDAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 01:35 PM
link   

You ever seen a road crew working ?

Yeah, me neither.

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I'm seeing this as well. Everywhere I go. It doesn't matter if I'm ordering a cheeseburger from miceedees or getting my tires changed. It's as if people have stopped caring all together about any pride in work and especially anything (which is everything essentially) to with any customer service. It's as if it is no longer "please the customer" as much as please the employee. Most places I go (places I've gone to for decades) the person "helping" me is treating me as if I'm a nuisance, rather than a patron of that business. And worst of all, Lord forbid I want some fast food like a cheeseburger without onions. It's like asking for a kidney. I was in the restaurant business for 15 years, up to and including being a chef. So I know all about how kitchen and the service industry works. Since the pandemic that business alone has crumbled (and will continue to do so IMO), but it is like this everywhere I go to conduct business. It's like it's all falling apart at once.

BTW "quiet quitting" isn't a new thing. The workforce was full of people who were there just for a check, and did less than the least amount of work as humanly possible to collect said check. There was always enough people who had pride in their work, even without being a "company man." It seems the scale has tilted heavily in the favor of not giving a 💩 about their job, and we are now in a state of, ya might get what ya need (and have always gotten before), and ya might not...... sometimes just depending on whether they feel like it or not. Let alone not being able to get things like we use to. Things are harder to find these days. Which makes even more of a headache for both sides.
So yes, I'd have to agree. It went into a downward spiral during and especially post pandemic. As a chef (once upon a time) I would have thought the restaurant industry would have bounced back, as far as being able to handle the load (a lot of these kitchens are in fact full, give or take one or two; which has always existed in the industry). So I am surprised at how is still operating as if we're still in a pandemic. But it feels and seems that way to me with pretty much all the business I conduct.

edit on 29-11-2022 by AOx6179 because: Misspelled

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: servovenford
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

I've been saying more and more often, people are beginning to appear as little animatronic robots, like in It's A Small World, just not as cute and pleasant. Not at all.

My theory is that as technology advances it slowly but surely robs us of our mental abilities resulting in these zoned out robo people everywhere.
And thats before the A.I.s take control and starts mandating brain implants.

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AOx6179

Yes this exactly! At times I wait weeks for a proposal / written offer and have to remind several times! I remember times where I would order something and if it was payment upfront, I would have it done minutes after I decided to buy the quantities.

The offering company would actually check their account for incoming money and act on their own. Now I am expected to send proof of payment and only THEN someone will look into the account if there is money. And a week later, a notify that the hardware has been sent out.

I mean like, I am the customer in that biz relationship, even in the few occasions I have to pay upfront and not via invoice, you have to kick their asses to get stuff done. It really sucks working like that.

And the sad thing is, people KNOW that you are at their mercy because of things like monopole or similar. I waited three month for a proper invoice after the whole process was completed, they just could not be bothered to write the invoice!

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

It's not just young people or anything, it's a lot of people these days.
Maybe because the 'culture' allows it more, so the lazy people, no matter the age group, will take advantage of it?
My wife has a coworker who is only part time, an older lady in her 60s, who is apparently just doing it for supplemental income to SS money.
Half the time she passes the work to my wife for no reason at all, 'oh yes, so and so will help you now' and half the time she leaves early , shows up late, or says she feels sick or cant drive that day .
The worst thing is she lies about it. She will say she did something (important) when she didn't do it at all, and knows she didn't. And won't admit to mistakes.

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

In my line of work a lot of vendors are far more weary of funds than they used to be.
They are way more leery of releasing product without proper receipt of funds, and also everyone's accounting seems backed up for years .
So the economic climate might have a lot to do with that.

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 02:13 PM
link   
“They need their hand held through everything”

You made me think of someone, Ed.

I was working for a huge company with a worldwide footprint.
I pretty much handled all their marine traffic up here in the northeast. With a multi-million dollar purse I handle all the barge traffic, new construction, dry docking. shipping schedules, maintenance etc etc etc.
We need another body at one of the terminals and the PTB hired ED who had just gotten out of the navy.
Ed was a super nice guy and he worked hard.
Thing was, I had to re-train Ed every single day, it didn’t matter how long he’d been doing a particular job.
I couldn’t believe this guy made it 4 years in the Navy.
Ed was low, low IQ.
So, every time I set him to task I had to spend 30 or more minutes with him each and every day.
Once I had him going he’d work hard. If he got in trouble he always came looking for help.
I haven’t worked with extremely low IQ people except Ed.

Give him a shovel and say move that pile over here and when you’re finished move it back where it was.
Off to work he’d go and never a complaint, not once.

I remember thinking, everyone in this general category of work needs an Ed.

Then there was Billy. He’d milk every single job. He lied, lied, lied……he made me more nuts than Ed.

Yes, everyone needs an Ed…

a reply to: NorthOfStuff

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: fat fingers on a phone, bad mix….

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join