It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saving Up for a New Computer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Also, slickdeals is a great place to find deals...

Browsing it for a drone saw this and thouggt of this thread...

slickdeals.net... ssd-eclipse-gray-ga503rm-g15-r93060-1199-99

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Factis
I am currently trying to save money for a new computer, and would like some help figuring out which one to buy. I use my computer for 90% of my entertainment, from gaming to television to writing. Of primary concern for me:

* World of Warcraft, Far Cry, EVE Online, etc.
* Ancestry.com and Family Tree Maker.
* Scrivener (a word processing suite for novelists, screenwriters, etc.)
* Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc.
* Blender 3D animation program.
* File storage space for documents and photos.
* Fast Internet browsing.

Any computer I get needs to be:

* Portable.
* Microsoft.
* Able to last me 5 to 10 years or so.

I'm one of those computer users who grew up in the '90s and learned to use computers as a kid, so navigating them isn't much of a problem for me. When you start talking RAM and ROM and hard drive formatting and the like, you'll start to lose me. That said, I can usually muddle my way through technical specs.

I'm happy to field all serious suggestions and advice offered politely. Thank you in advance for your help.

Okay..

Heres the deal. You said you want it to last 5-10 years. Thats VERY hard to do with a computer. Especially at which the soeed of tech advances.

In order to properly give you an answer Id need to know your price range.. without that.. I can give you a good answer for 5 years...

-Gaming: Right off the bat you're going to need a dedicated GPU. Onboard graphics or an APUnwont cut it. The games you listed arent basic 2-D ones either. Far Cry ganes specifically are hardware intensive, and if yiu want to keep gaming in the future, youre going to need a card with at MINIMUM 12 gb of V-ram. Thats even a tad low for future proofing tbh.

-RAM: Windows OS and its required prigrams are basically eating up 6-8Gb of ram at this point. Having a few chrim windows open can eat a gig all on its own. 16GB of RAM is going to be the absolute minimum you will need moving forward. 32GB if you want to be safe.

Since you're future proofing, DDR5 would be best

Processor: Again, since you're future proofing you're going to want something that will last. The new AMD 7000 series chips or Intel Raptor Lake CPU's oughta do just fine. In the future more software and games will run on multiple cores so keep that in mind.

Hit me uo with a total max youre willing to spend and I can give you an example build

FYI... Laptops... Horrible for future proofing, they become dated very quickly, usually non upgradeable, and cost way more money for way less actual power.

I do think theres a company though that makes modular upgradeable laptops.. I think their name is Framework if youre sead set on that route

P.S. Going the deaktop route.. AMDs new 7000 series CPUs are on a new socket... which means there is most likely a 5 year upgrade path giving you the ability to keep it current and make your system last longer for less long term. Intel is changing sockets soon so keep that in mind.

posted on Jan, 24 2023 @ 12:51 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

<< 1   >>

join