It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How are you preparing for a deep recession or even a depression

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
I get ya, most of what is for sale is designed to be replaced, planned obsolessence, #in world we live in, not all new products are made out # though, there is a market for quality tools. Lads start sellin me stuff that will last and works well I will be a dedicated customer.

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: collie

There might be a very big opportunity in the space to "fix things". How many people fix a tool in disrepair? Most times it's a gas line that went bad or a cheaply made electronic component that just needs a touch of solder.

This line of work will be so important.

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: litterbaux

I'm learning how to prepare man so I can serve man in the soup lines. Hey bread, soup, and WW2 lines got us all through the first one!
edit on 27-11-2022 by DoomsdayDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Pretty sure you right.

Feel bad for so many of these kids that have put themselves in huge debt with no real skills at the end of it, learn to plaster a wall you can get by.

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Those options are no longer available.

Yeah, they are.

I never worked at a job doing the things I do around here. I was trained as a draftsman, topped out, drove a truck, topped out, then got an engineering degree at worked at that until the heart attacks hit. What little time I did work with the things I use now, I was either an assistant (learning how to use the tools) or was free-lance.

What one needs to do is keep their eyes on the prize and stop looking at what they don't have; what one does have is much more important. One can still buy tools and learn to use them... it's actually easier today with the Internet.

Gonna include a little sample of my work. This is a crate I made out of one and a half 8-foot 2x4s... cheapest wood one can find (I wasn't going to use my oak for something like this, lol). I found a bunch of old bottles when I was cleaning out this year and knew they had value... looks like $20 each average according to eBay. I have 60 of them; this is the first 30. A few had been broken over the years because they were just tossed into an old washtub. I didn't want any more broken, and I needed to move them to the barn loft, so I made this crate:
I actually made two; this is the first one. It's not perfect, but it is just a crate to go in a barn loft.

I knew how to make them because I made things before. I looked at furniture and saw the differences between good, expensive furniture that would last and the cheap stuff that won't. Anyone can do that. Then I started building stuff I wanted. Half the time I used old wood that was about to be thrown away but still had life in it.

Here's another example. I have a bigger chicken flock than I used to have and moved to another building. They needed somewhere to lay eggs.
This is made using one sheet of 3/4" pressure-treated subflooring. That stuff will last 50 years in standing water! The top hinges, so my wife can gather eggs without leaving the front porch. The mounting is on two halves of an old 4x4e I had lying around and a few pieces of 2x4 I found as well. All told, I might have $30 in it, and it will be there and in good shape when I am gone.

I never built anything for the public. Never worked for anyone who built wood for the public. I did all this on my own.

My main tool is an older Ridgid table saw. It sits behind my shop under a tarp because I don't have room to set it up inside. I keep it tarped and dry, and it's just as accurate and dependable as it was when I bought it... which, if memory serves, was in the early 2000s? So twenty years. Both of those examples, with the exception of the support for the hen-house, was built using that one saw and some good squares.

I know it's easy to look at someone and wish that one could do what they did... but the thing is, anyone can! Anyone can look at furniture and examine it... anyone can buy a tool (if they can manage to afford it)... anyone can learn. Here's another secret, though: I don't spend all my time on social media; I didn't have a smart phone until a few months ago and even that has a very cheap data plan; I don't spend much time or money on fancy video games; I buy store brand foods (often they are made in the same factory with the same ingredients on the same assembly lines and just put into different containers; learned that truck driving); I make my cars go 20 years before getting a new one; I only buy what I can afford when I can afford it; and I rarely go our to eat or to have fun. I can eat good and have fun right here.

That's an old redneck who spent most of his life dirt poor and now does stuff with a bad heart condition. Yeah, anyone should be able to do it, lol.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Gender Identity degree's are all the rage, what are you talking about? Psychology and mental health workers are going to be the next big thing.

If your mind is even slightly psycholitst, do it. You are going to make a metric $hit ton just in time for you to get that degree.

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 01:15 AM
link   

And I can do that.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

And I can do that.

TheRedneck

Impressive post above. I'm not sure what to say but I feel like I need to say something for the contribution to the thread. Thanks bro, that's what I'm looking for, much love.

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

We have an awful lot in common, but no actual heart attacks yet. 🤞

I bought a used sawmill (bandsaw) a couple years ago for 500.00 and can't believe how much free wood I get now from tree trimmers, even in AZ - and most of them deliver.

Keep an eye out for a harbor freight mill with dead engine. The original gasoline engines are awful and not worth repairing, but easy to swap for something off the shelf or convert to electric. An old electric furnace motor works great on mine and conversion would be pretty simple for you.

edit on 27-11-2022 by OGPatriot411 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Nice work buddy,

I suppose you might be better prepared for rough times than most.

Hope that heart of a lion dosn't give ya too much # any time soon.

Would love to be as skilled in woodwork.

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 01:32 AM
link   

I know a good 20 people that want to be psychologists that I would worry about crossing the road. These lads are tryin to charge people that need help. Funny world

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Damn Redneck, spare us your life's story! ✍️

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Prepare for the present, stick a smile on and be nice, find humour where you can, make it if it's not there. Honestly, take a step back and this is all really vrry silly.

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: OGPatriot411

We have an awful lot in common, but no actual heart attacks yet.

Take my advice and skip that part. They suck... seriously. I should know; I'm at 8 and counting.

Keep an eye out for a harbor freight mill with dead engine. The original gasoline engines are awful and not worth repairing, but easy to swap for something off the shelf or convert to electric.

Ah! Thank you! I actually was thinking about trying to get a sawmill, but not sure if I could work it now. But around here, some people will practically give away old stuff that doesn't work.

Take a close look at that crate pic and you'll see the very corner of an old wood chipper a neighbor gave me. It's a DR, but it's one of the cheaper ones and has been abused. The motor is an old Kohler and is pretty much beyond repair/rebuild, and the worst part is I haven't been able to find a newer motor that will bolt up right, even with what modding I can do here.

I was really disappointed, too. I have a ton of brush from felled trees (oak and cedar) that I would love to mulch... and the cedar can be used around the house to keep termites away. Trying to keep my eye out for a good used one cheap that maybe needs a little minor work.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Black Friday sales don't appear to have been anywhere near as bad as originally claimed.

www.thegatewaypundit.com...

Probably still a slight decrease in inflation adjusted dollars IMO, but certainly not catastrophic.

edit on 27-11-2022 by OGPatriot411 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Would love to be as skilled in woodwork.

It's just practice, dude. You want something... you make it. The first ones won't be worth a crap, but you'll get better every time.

I'm slowly working on an oak table for my home office right now... with a curved front panel and curved doors in it. Gonna be a masterpiece if I can get it built, and no one will have one like it. Just going to take some time. Cured oak doesn't like being cut or sanded very fast, lol.

Got exploratory cath surgery on the ticker coming up Tuesday... silly doctors keep wanting to keep this one running even after me asking them to just remove it. It's getting to be more trouble than it's worth.

It's like an appendix or tonsils, right?

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: OGPatriot411

I don't believe it. MSM have lost all faith with me. That includes Fox news.

Did you go out for a doorbuster deal? I did, 9:30am CST, the door buster deals were still there. Usually you wait outside and get a ticket at 5 in the morning. We didn't have record sales, if you believe that, you've had too much to drink tonight.

What are we going to do in this environment? Buy gold? Silver? Land? Used cars? 1yr treasuries?

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 02:06 AM
link   

I'll give you an idea of my woodworking skills.

The sanding sponges don't last long, but they are insanely good at their purpose.

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 02:14 AM
link   

What are you doing to prepare for this? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I will prepare for this by firewalling any thread or article that spews such negative bull# and who's intent is to spread fear.

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: collie

Prepare for the present, stick a smile on and be nice, find humour where you can, make it if it's not there. Honestly, take a step back and this is all really vrry silly.

i plan to win the big one and move to that fishing village kamala was at in the philippines.

open a beach bar.

i'll take the cash with me and convert when needed.

other than that, i'll wait it out.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join