It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FIFA World Cup 2022

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Nerve wrecking,unbelievable Kane
Congratulations France
edit on 0b27America/ChicagoSat, 10 Dec 2022 15:02:27 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoSat, 10 Dec 2022 15:02:27 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 03:03 PM
link   
....and Janey wins!!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Yep.

Sick as a Parott Brian.

I will be supporting France from now on.

Mind you, the Ref was....poor.

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Sp: Giroud. Sorry but watching the match and got worked up!!

My, oh my! What a match!

I think all my teams are out! Liking Croatia and enjoying MAR’s march to the semis!

Despite the political talk, a good tournament!

edit on 10-12-2022 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: More spellcheck ng

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Reports that Kane's penalty ball has just hit a house in Iraq , no casualties.

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

No. It's still floating up there somewhere.

It's probably making friends with Waddle's.

edit on 10-12-2022 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Funny, from my comment I edited out a remark about letting the most popular star players miss penalties cause they can take the hit. I had some difficulties explaining what I meant, so I edited it out.

It's all a little too predictable* for my taste. (*: when using a marketing perspective, i.e. what would be in the best interest of those selling football to the public, what would promote it the most in the most profitable markets, or emerging markets)
edit on 10-12-2022 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Oh, give it up?

FFS?

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

I already sort of gave up on football when France won in France at the WC '98 (Ronaldo mysteriously not being in the final for Brazil because of food poisoning, as they claimed), and then South Korea made the last 4 (maximum number of matches) in 2002. Realizing in 2006 that Italy just won in Germany, while Germany already won in Italy in 1990, the 2 WWII allies who also like to partner up in Formula 1 with Ferrari and a German driver (appealing to both fan markets at the same time).

Thinking back to the time of Argentina '78, and the (Peruvian?) courtcase involving the semi-final matchfixing in favor of Argentina, who won that tournament. That was during a military dictatorship. It was a nice distraction for the average Argentinian living under that yoke who might have thought about more actively changing that situation or speaking up about it.

edit on 10-12-2022 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

What?

That's just bonkers.

This thread is about football.

Not crazyness?

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I merely listed some relevant historical facts to my remark about sort of giving up on football. Which I only said as a play on your "Oh, give it up?" Which, like your last reply, sounds like you've got an issue with my commentary and want me to shut up about it. No need to tell me this thread is about football, as my commentary is as well.

posted on Dec, 10 2022 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Commiserations to England, a valiant effort, but missing a bit of luck in the end. The ref was iffy, but Kane messing up the penalty was the final nail in the coffin. If he had scored, I think the psychological blow to France would have led to an England victory in extra time.

I think I will now root for Croatia and Morocco... with victory to the African nation.

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Best game of the World Cup so far in my opinion
Both teams playing Elite level Football
I thought England edged the Game in both halves
I also think the Referee was not upto the standard required for such a game
Not Englands night in the end ,
Man of the Match for me Was Griezman with Bellingham a very close second

Great Game Congratulations To France and good luck for the rest of the Tournament

Stay Safe
Riouz
edit on 11-12-2022 by Riouz5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Seen it all before....

The dodgy ref....
Southgate's mind boggling substitutions.....
The false hope....

What a waste of a fabulously talented bunch of players.
Don't get me wrong, France are a very, very good team.....but they were beatable.

Not knocking Sterling but he's had a traumatic week or so and hasn't been in good form for both Chelsea and England recently; he's the last player I would have put on.

Why wait until there's two minutes left before putting Grealish on?
Grealish would have won us countless free-kicks etc and poses a live threat.

Mount?
Did ok but I'd have put Maddison on.

I am now Croatian.

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Why wait until there's two minutes left before putting Grealish on?

Southgate said before the Senegal game that was prepared for penalties ... against Senegal !

The teams who have done well in this tournament have played a quick passing attacking game where England played their normal defensively minded game , TBH it was obvious to me that when we played a quality team we would come unstuck.

As for Grealish he's not one of Southgate's chosen few so regardless of his talent and ability to link up with his clubmate Foden the attacking option was not in the managers game plan , him sticking with Kane as our striker throughout the tournament shows what a poor decision maker Southgate is.

It's now well past time for a new manager with fresh ideas , I hope Southgate does the decent thing as I see no progress in this team.
edit on 11-12-2022 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Our relative success over the last few years has been despite Southgate not because of him.
His lack of imagination and negativity have held us back.
He never has a Plan B, can't react to the way a game develops and over relies on his favourites.

Southgate has overseen a resurgence of England's reputation and deserves some credit......but its time to go.
The question is; who replaces him?

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Yeah i said earlier Maddison should come on.
Southgate should resign he's gone as far as he can with this team. Over reliant on the same players. Tactically not very good at all.
Wtf was that all about with Grealish? New manager needed soon as.
It was obvious France had yiz sussed after the first half. What did Southgate do? Not a lot.
He cant do it against the elite teams. England will win nothing with him. Shame because yiz have a seriously talented squad.

COME ON ARGENTINA!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Yeah England play the same way all the time, Too easy to play against. You're right in saying he sticks with his chosen few. Again too easy to suss out.
Wilson should have come on after Kane missed the peno.

Lets hope the FA have the balls to sack him if he doesn't walk...

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Foden had a bad game, he went missing for huge chunks of the game. Happens to everyone.

But for the life of me I don't understand why he brought Sterling on.
He's done well for us in past tournaments - he's proved me wrong - but he's had an awful season so far at Chelsea and hasn't performed for England recently. Everyone goes through good and bad patches of form.
On top of that he's had a stressful week, flown home and flew back. He hadn't trained with the squad this week.
I doubt the guy was fully focussed, understandably so.

So why bring him on?
Doesn't make any sense at all.

Southgate should do the honourable thing, go without being pushed.
A few months down the line he'll be offered a top administrative job with the FA and no doubt end up with a Knighthood for his failings.

The problem we then face is there are no outstanding candidates for the job.
My Toon Army mates will hate me for saying this but the one person I can think of is Eddie Howe?

However my friend; why on earth Argentina?

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I cannot see the FA sacking him at all, until after Euro 24 if they dont do well
I also dont think he will Resign.
After all he is the most successful manager England have had since Sir Alf Ramsey.

I do however think we should have gone for it at 1 1 , to me thats when France where unsettled.
Also i think we should start games better ie Front foot taking the game to teams rather than the Pragmatic approach.

Dont understand why Sterling was even in the squad for this game.

My question is Who would you change him with,the grass is not always greener...

Stay Safe

Riouz

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join