It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deathwatch: Twitter

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
Why does Twitter seem to matter to so many people?

I just don't get it.

I don't understand why thousands of people are needed to keep some hardware and software running.

Here's a summary of what "Twitter" is from a technical standpoint: blog.twitter.com...

Maybe 80% of the people aren't needed?

You haven't worked in the computer field, have you?

That's like saying "okay. We've got electric cars now. We can do away with 80% of the mechanics at Pep Boys"

Networks require a lot of support (you need a team of on-call experts for every server farm, and if you're very stupid you will contract with another company for it. Savvy businesses grow and keep their own in-house experts which keeps costs down and ensures that you get a response instead of "we parted ways and we're looking for a new maintenance group.")

There's also coding to be done which isn't easy or cheap. And fixing bugs (yes, even now) and improving code as new issues and new hardware appears (basically something new -- like getting your text messages to appear on your smartwatch -- may involve partnerships with other tech entities and getting their code to work with you)

So, no. It was a reasonably lean and successful tech group. There's some bloat but it's not THAT bad.

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

People don’t realize how complicated things can be.

A person could be doing a job that seems totally unrelated too, like a HVAC tech.
What happens when the server rooms get too hot, or water leaks from a bathroom etc.
There’s a lot of weird stuff that can happen.

Or the worst possible scenario….

Disgruntled workers… they can do the most damage, and I’d wager there are a lot of disgruntled workers there.

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Yesterday Elon gave all the employees of Twitter an ultimatum. They can either stay on to help him build Twitter 2.0, warning it would involve very long hours, be very intense, and remote work would no longer be allowed, or they can resign and get three months severance. He gave them until 5 pm today to make their decision.

Based on Twitter posts and internal Slack messages, hundreds of the remaining 3700 have chosen to resign including enter teams.

According to some that have chosen to remain, some of the teams that have left were critical to the stability of the site. They've warned that the whole site could break at any moment. As a result the hashtag #RIPTwitter is now trending.

In response to the mass exodus Elon has revoked badge access to all employees and has closed the offices until at least next Tuesday.

If he site truly is on the verge of collapse my guess is it happens on Saturday. The World Cup will be starting so I'm sure there will be a lot more activity than normal.

Elon-era Twitter is definitely going to be taught in future classes on how to not run a business.

It will be taught in future classes how to take control of an out of control wokester company.

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It’s my experience working for Federal government contractors and working in the private sector that this old saying is definitely true and is true for Twitter as well:

“ 80% of the work is done by 20% of your employees”

Which means that Elon knows what he is Doing. Most large corporations are full of BS job titles that don’t do any real work..i.e consulting, project manager, program manager, most of HR depts, and anyone who all they do in management is send motivation corporatese Emails with lots of corporate buzz words like , circle back, synergy, silos, governance, stake holders , blah blah blah. Then u get those same managers that recommend all kinds of woke books to read and LinkedIn classes about equity and inclusiveness and diversity At the bottom of the emails.

Twitter will run just fine with no hiccups and all the people that quit or were let go had bad attitudes anyways and probably didn’t contribute much to the bottom line.

If you can’t tell your manager in 5 min how much you have saved the company or how much the company is getting in return for their investment in you then you better start looking for a job or work for a non profit
edit on 18-11-2022 by Brassmonkey because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-11-2022 by Brassmonkey because: Grammar

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Brassmonkey

The 20% would be the first group laid off!

I’ve seen it soooo many times!!

Don’t believe me, Believe Elon.
He fired some crucial people and then asked them to come back and apologized and said it was the biggest mistake.
edit on 18-11-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Brassmonkey

The 20% would be the first group laid off!

I’ve seen it soooo many times!!

Don’t believe me, Believe Elon.
He fired some crucial people and then asked them to come back and apologized and said it was the biggest mistake.

It could separate the Logical and dedicated from everyone else.

If your priorities are not with your paycheck -- maybe, you shouldn't be here.

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Byrd

People don’t realize how complicated things can be.

A person could be doing a job that seems totally unrelated too, like a HVAC tech.
What happens when the server rooms get too hot, or water leaks from a bathroom etc.
There’s a lot of weird stuff that can happen.

Or the worst possible scenario….

Disgruntled workers… they can do the most damage, and I’d wager there are a lot of disgruntled workers there.

I don't like Musk and got quite the chuckle out of his locking the offices ...and then asking for people who knew the tech infrastructure to show up and talk to him on the 10th floor of the building.

Jimminy Christmas... how does this guy manage to walk and chew gum at the same time?

posted on Nov, 19 2022 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I've seen some pieces on this.

There are a couple things that could be happening.

The first is that he's taking the "whaling and culling" approach which is not uncommon in major corps. In the case, of Twat, he's dealing with a highly hostile workforce at the outset, so he goes in making demands he knows most of them aren't going to meet. The ones who do are the ones who are committed to making it work, and they are likely the really productive ones who've been making it work all along.

It's worth noting that Twat is top heavy in marketing and HR, and about the time those two workforces swelled, Twat also started losing money. There is a LOT of deadwood being paid by Twitter that can be fired.

So you make your high pressure work demands and see who attempts to meet the challenge and who REEEEEEEs. The second group gets cut as they were likely not doing you any good anyhow, and the first group gets kept, and when you suddenly hire again, they have input into who and what would best help them do that job.

Apparently, this is a common tactic in the business world.

Another note is that Craigslist has never really had a workforce much about 50.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Yesterday Elon gave all the employees of Twitter an ultimatum. They can either stay on to help him build Twitter 2.0, warning it would involve very long hours, be very intense, and remote work would no longer be allowed, or they can resign and get three months severance. He gave them until 5 pm today to make their decision.

Based on Twitter posts and internal Slack messages, hundreds of the remaining 3700 have chosen to resign including enter teams.

According to some that have chosen to remain, some of the teams that have left were critical to the stability of the site. They've warned that the whole site could break at any moment. As a result the hashtag #RIPTwitter is now trending.

In response to the mass exodus Elon has revoked badge access to all employees and has closed the offices until at least next Tuesday.

If he site truly is on the verge of collapse my guess is it happens on Saturday. The World Cup will be starting so I'm sure there will be a lot more activity than normal.

Elon-era Twitter is definitely going to be taught in future classes on how to not run a business.

The crazy part is, he spent 44 billion on a money losing company. On top of it, he drives away his very customer base, the advertisers. It's almost like he deliberately wants to break twitter. And lose money while he's at it. And it's not even one of the top 10 biggest social media networks.

www.semrush.com...

The site is now a dumpster fire of glitches and bigots. I used to go on there a lot to check for news, and I followed a few journalists and artists whose work I enjoy. Now, though, a lot of those people have either left, or they don't tweet as much as they used to.

posted on Dec, 2 2022 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

You do realize that the data to compile that list is from Q1 22....

Perhaps we should wait and see how the new outlook affects the usership of the platform instead of using data from the old crew?

posted on Jan, 9 2023 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

If the site truly is on the verge of collapse my guess is it happens on Saturday. The World Cup will be starting so I'm sure there will be a lot more activity than normal.

Between December 11, 2022, and January 8, 2023, Twitter’s ranking bounced from the number two spot and dropped as low as number six before rising to number one on January 9, 2023. At the time of this writing, Twitter currently ranks number one for U.S. news in the Apple App store. The lowest it ranked after Elon Musk purchased the platform was at 11 in November.

Link

posted on Mar, 5 2024 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Is it still collapsing....truly?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join