It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial sweeteners... W.H.O. statement may dishearten some dieters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Source link

Rethinking artificial sweeteners? Fake sugars may not cause cancer but they’re not great for losing weight either

Let’s start by noting that the World Health Organization (WHO) recently warned against using artificial sweeteners for weight control. What? I thought that was the whole purpose; I hear you saying. Well, not quite. Saccharin was initially hailed, even canonized, by patients with diabetes who required limiting their sugar intake for metabolic reasons. Early questions of safety were jettisoned when the diabetic patients revolted at an imminent ban. And from then on, dieters joined those with diabetes in fake sugar consumption, aiming to reduce calorie intake.
But the WHO’s latest guidelines, issued in July, say that’s not a good idea.

... While not final and still open to comment, the guidelines are anything but equivocal. The WHO advises against using artificial sweeteners for dieting purposes.

... Sure, there’s always been a razz on the “artificials.” Some of the old trusties, most recently aspartame, have been attacked as “cancer causers,” claims recently debunked ... Does that mean they are safe or even effective?

The WHO says no. And a recent study reported in Cell magazine agrees.

Artificial sweeteners don’t work on a long-term basis.

“Higher NSS (non-sugar sweetener) consumption by adults led to lower body weight and BMI … when assessed in short-term randomized controlled trials, but was associated with increased BMI and risk of incident obesity in long-term prospective observational studies.” [emphasis added].

I often wonder if these synthetics we are often told are the 'be all, end all' of products dont have a marketing cycle... you know? There is a list of products that are distilled from petroleum... everyone hails them as the amazing wave of the future, five or ten, maybe even fifteen years later "Oooh, that's not really good for you," followed by "Hey... about that, we have new data and... not so much."

Enter "new" product... it's better. It's new science. Of course, future generations will have final say.

While the WHO holds the preeminent position to make such assertions, the strong opposition is represented by the likes of the Calorie Control Council, and other such commercial actors.

Notice when the club members dissent, there is no talk of anti-science blasphemy as we have all experienced in recent times. They are not maligned and vilified for their rejection of the WHO declaration. Within the source I see examples of "science" which commerce can override in the name of corporate rights, while peer reviewed, and published research leads to statements like this:

“Long-term NSS use was also associated with increased risk of type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and mortality in prospective cohort studies conducted in adults….” – WHO Draft Guidelines

and another,

“Our trial has shown that non-nutritive sweeteners may impair glucose responses by altering our microbiome, and they do so in a highly personalized manner.”

I wonder if any of us will see some ripples in marketing, online "influence" marketing, etc. in the near future.

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 08:25 PM
link   
OMG really?

They have been proven to affect people with sugar issues, (me being one) and I thought they were proven to cause cancer.

Just another nail in the WHO coffin, as far as not listening to them.

Idiots

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

I bet many people didn't know Aspartame causes kidney issues, and makes someone who already has kidney issues even worse. I try to stay away from it as much as possible.

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 09:33 PM
link   
They should use stevia instead anyway. Ive warned people about diet sweeteners for decades

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Absolutely echo on warning people about 'food stuff' distilled from petroleum; but I wouldn't be honest with you if I didn't add...

I'm an old person, which is to say that I have ingrained bad habits. One of them is not being able to ignore that strange taste sensation that I experience (accepting that it could be psychological, at least to some degree)... stevia doesn't taste like sugar.

I grant you it's sweet. Not meaning to offend in any way.

But it's just not sugar. (To me, anyway.)

I prefer sugar cane.

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Who is the Who? Aren't they the same guys that where all gun-ho for the CCP? believing everything they said, and stressing that everyone in the World needed the jab or you'll die? That Who?

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: stelth2

The one and only!

It seems that this declaration is counter to the almighty commerce gods. Or is it? The have such a weak reputation in my mind that I have difficulty believing anything they 'proclaim' is straight up truth... I am almost waiting for the other shoe to drop.

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Artificial sweeteners are bad for us on several levels.
A big one is it affects your gut microbiome. Am I would bet what they know know about the effects is the tip of the iceberg.
physiologicnyc.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I also like cane sugar. We may have eighty pounds of sugar in rotation, but personally, I don't care for the taste of sweet that much. A teaspoon of sugar in my coffee and an occasional piece of blueberry or cherry pie is good, so is a cookie once in a while. I do like a little on top of my grapefruit when I eat it too. I don't care for the taste of any of the artificial sweetners, in fact I avoid buying food containing it because the taste is too sharp sweet. It is hard to find Gelatin without artificial sweetners and with real cane sugar. All of our stocked sugar is pure cane sugar.

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I keep a lot of Raw organic cane sugar on hand. I use some sugar in my coffee and tea, and if it still isnt sweet enough, I add a little stevia to it

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
They should use stevia instead anyway. Ive warned people about diet sweeteners for decades

DO not use but half as much , though .
I made the mistake by making sweet tea using as much Stevia as I did sugar .
That first time was a big life lesson.
Completely too sweet to drink .

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 12:06 AM
link   
You bet !!!!!!
They prefer everyone to use insulin regardless of their A1C levels .
That ensures one's body (diabetic) does completely stop producing natural insulin .
Thus making synthetic insulin a matter of life and death for the person.
Making huge amounts of profits for the companies .

Trust the WHO as you trust the UN as they are one in the same.

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Trust the WHO as you trust the UN as they are one in the same.

There are some differences, but essentially it is true.

There's less BIG COMMERCE directly inside the U.N. "leadership,"- the W.H.O. is another story -it may be mostly BIG COMMERCE (sort of like the US FDA.)

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxmars
a reply to: visitedbythem

Absolutely echo on warning people about 'food stuff' distilled from petroleum; but I wouldn't be honest with you if I didn't add...

I'm an old person, which is to say that I have ingrained bad habits. One of them is not being able to ignore that strange taste sensation that I experience (accepting that it could be psychological, at least to some degree)... stevia doesn't taste like sugar.

I grant you it's sweet. Not meaning to offend in any way.

But it's just not sugar. (To me, anyway.)

I prefer sugar cane.

yes, it's like eating

lite mayonnaise!

just not the same thing.

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

It's like the margarine craze... more profit, less food.

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

I keep a lot of Raw organic cane sugar on hand. I use some sugar in my coffee and tea, and if it still isnt sweet enough, I add a little stevia to it

I use honey or sugar. NEVER the fake stuff. I like the natural sugar but bleached white sugar won't kill us. Any fake sugar is going to be bad for us. Just like fake butter is bad for us.

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 02:56 AM
link   
A little bit of sugar doesn’t hurt, as a treat, in moderation. Trouble is most people can’t do ‘treat’ or ‘moderation’. Sugared products don’t lend themselves very well to that. But one of the overlooked problems is carbs, especially for the impact on our blood sugar and insulin resistance.

I’d advise anyone to get themselves one of those fancy continuous glucose monitors. They’re about £50 here in the UK, stick to your arm and last about 14 days then you throw them away. You tap your phone near them and it sends your readings which cover the entire day. I think you have to do this several times a day as it doesn’t have a large memory. (I used the freestyle libre)

With a delay of about 20 minutes (due to how it measures) you can see exactly what foods spike your blood sugar, which is what you need to avoid doing. There’s no guesswork here, and you’ll be surprised at the results. You see it doesn’t matter what you think spikes you, it’s what actually spikes that matters. Time of day and what you eat with carbs as well as exercise affect how your blood sugar spikes too.

I grab one every 18 months or so to check for how my insulin response is, most dangerous conditions of ageing can be traced to poor insulin sensitivity. £50 every 18 months will tell you a bit more than you’ll get from other tests.

edit on 11-11-2022 by Tortuga because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxmars
a reply to: sarahvital

It's like the margarine craze... more profit, less food.

yes.

it's the nasty oil they use for both.cut back on the egg yolk and voila , lite mayo.

butter fat/cream is expensive so it's replaced.

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I like my sugar with coffee and milk, and there is definitely something wrong with the taste of artificial sweeteners.
Its like after the initial fake sweet taste, there is some metallic/base like after taste that completely ruins the sweetness.

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 04:21 AM
link   

The best sweetener is HONEY.

I think Donald Rumsfeld is the person responsible for pushing Aspartame in the first place.

Anything to fuel the pharma industry with new patients.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join