It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palmer Luckey Made a VR Headset That Kills the User If They Die in the Game

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 02:52 AM
link   

The man who created the Oculus Rift has invented a virtual reality headset that will explode the forebrain of a user who dies in a video game.

“The idea of tying your real life to your virtual avatar has always fascinated me—you instantly raise the stakes to the maximum level and force people to fundamentally rethink how they interact with the virtual world and the players inside it,” Luckey wrote in a blog post explaining the project. “Pumped up graphics might make a game look more real, but only the threat of serious consequences can make a game feel real to you and every other person in the game.”

Palmer Luckey Made a VR Headset That Kills the User If They Die in the Game

This is horrifying.

Luckey, the inventor of this headset and also founder of Anduril, a weapons and defense contractor which has contracts with the government to develop loitering munitions, anti-drone tech for U.S. special forces, and underwater drones, says that “I have plans for an anti-tamper mechanism that [...] will make it impossible to remove or destroy the headset, even so, there are a huge variety of failures that could occur and kill the user at the wrong time. This is why I have not worked up the balls to actually use it myself.”

And then this chilling quote:

“It is also, as far as I know, the first non-fiction example of a VR device that can actually kill the user. It won’t be the last.” (bold mine)

Another step towards our dystopian future. Pandora's box has been opened....

edit on 9/11/2022 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamonlyhuman

Ready Player One?

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Hell no! lol

Reminds me of real life Squid Games or Gamer. Seriously, what is wrong with people. He's a real life mad scientist.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Time to live on a canoe somewhere near a waterfall and see rainbows all day long.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Just adding links because to be honest I didn't believe and did the research before tossing this in the Hoax Department.

But with that being said... there is a whole lot of "known websites" also carrying the news.

Forbes - Oculus Founder Claims To Make VR Headset That Will Actually Kill

Business Insider - Oculus Creator Fired by Facebook Made a VR Headset That Can

NY Post - If you die in this VR game, it will kill you in real life

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 03:37 AM
link   
If this was released, the people who do the "Tide Pods Challenge" and other foolish challenges would do this - on live stream.

This would improve the collective IQ in First World Countries - Third World Countries would pass up on the new tech.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Sounds like another squeal to the 'Saw' series.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Hey. Palmer.

Tell ya what. Why don’t you give it a go.

See if it works?

ALSO: how do they know it actually works?

And IF they do, did a company just kill someone for entertainment and profit and then brag about it?

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Sounds like the perfect torture device to put extreme mental stress on the captive, not for your normal consumer I would think.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 04:35 AM
link   
So is this gonna be ready for Black Friday?

something something gingerbread fentanyl

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
Sounds like the perfect torture device to put extreme mental stress on the captive, not for your normal consumer I would think.

Imagine waking up and finding that it's on your head and you can't remove it......
That scene in Ready Player One was terrifying.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Time to live on a canoe somewhere near a waterfall and see rainbows all day long.

That’s the next patch.

2nd

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: slatesteam

I don't think that will be hard to program , the headset just needs to send a signal to the explosive device upon death in a game.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

originally posted by: Spacespider

Imagine waking up and finding that it's on your head and you can't remove it......
That scene in Ready Player One was terrifying.
See. This is what I don’t get.

It sounds like a torture device that kills someone if they get something wrong in VR.

Like “we didn’t kill you, it was your Free Will” and all

Anyone else get this vibe?

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 04:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheGreazel

I don't think that will be hard to program , the headset just needs to send a signal to the explosive device upon death in a game.
Well.

How am I supposed to get my money back if it malfunctions and I survive a death?

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Would you ever willingly put one on?

Have you seen Ready Player One?

edit on 9-11-2022 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 05:00 AM
link   

You will qualify for the 2.0 BETA if you survive.

This one is 5D with a cyanide canister attached to the mouth , for the smell and taste experience.
edit on 9-11-2022 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
Would you ever willingly put one on?

My point exactly. Most people fall over using VR already lol.

Succinctly “no”. But does this sound like something that is supposed to be gently used? Or chosen freely?

Are we there as a species? Because I’ll take the gingerbread fentanyl house with X-mas tunes in the background.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 05:03 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 05:07 AM
link   
It is a suicide machine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join