It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This piece began as my Halloween Tribute 22 and Shine is an offshoot of that piece.

I built this work beginning on a Cartesian grid, that is a simply horizontal and vertical grid. The center of the piece was a single three dimensional labyrinth surrounded by numerous three dimensional mazes. The difference between a labyrinth and a maze is that while mazes are puzzle of dead ends with a hidden path though it, a labyrinth has no dead ends, but is a path from the entrance to the center. In this case, the labyrinth is a never ending path through the piece like an Ouroboros or an unending Mobius sphere surrounded by dead end mazes with no access to the center.

Once I finished the original piece I took the entire work and flipped it 45% so that the lines were not diagonal to the square of the frame. At that point I pinched off one corner of the piece, pushed and pulled it into it's present angles and matched them with perfect copies of each other to form the star.

From there, I took another line basically the width of the lines in the labyrinth and shaded it from very light to dark so that they go from light to dark as they flow away from the center. This was then copied with the copy being fit to the first line and decreased in color slightly. This was followed with line after line of diminishing brightness until they faded into the blackness in which the star is sitting.

Finally I added a dark brown ''matting'' that is puncured by the points of the star which gives an impression that the star is not contained by the picture itself.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Spectacular. How much time does such a complex image take like that?

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

FANTASTICO !!

That's beautiful, Terry, and ingenious. I could stare at it for hours... Well done.

Is this a one-off piece or have you more art lurking somewhere or other future projects?

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Cool. I like it. I wonder how it would look with blue lights in a room.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: godsovein

I like to make them as high resolution as is reasonable so that if wanted, they can be printed up to a size of maybe 48x48 inches without visual imperfection. I think I average around eighty to a hundred hours a piece. Each part must be fitted perfectly or else it can all go awry when I put them together. Plus I really cannot see it as a whole until I put it all into one piece which if I use colors that do not fit what I have already done, that part needs to be scratched and started over, so that time it takes can really vary.

Thanks for your interest.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Some of my work depends upon good lighting. I had one entered in a juried show a year or so ago and asked that it be well lit. They didn't and it just sat on a wall looking dark. However with a good light shining on it it can seem to be three dimensional as the parts that respond to the light just light up like fire.

posted on Nov, 8 2022 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Hey En. I actually forget the name of this first one. You can see the stars in the background of this one as I like to do a lot of my pieces as if they are out in space. The labyrinth in this one is built on a spiral matrix and is in the center of the work.

This one I call Quantum Propeller. You can see the blades radiating out from the center, each one has a three dimensional labyrinth built around the outside of a quarter arc of a cylinder.

Surrounding that in the diamond frame is a three dimensional labyrinth. Outside of the diamond is a square within which is another of the labyrinth/maze complexes as found in the Shine. This one circumnavigates the either piece with stars again to give the space impression.

And yes, I have many of these. Many.

posted on Nov, 8 2022 @ 11:20 AM
link   

This is Dr. Mesmer's Cosmic Clock Factory.

new topics

top topics

join