It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Irony Cash Only

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Our state has had terrible windstorms for the last few days.
Some of the gusts were pretty severe.

Power outages all over the state, INCLUDING at stores.

Here’s the part that kills me, some are still opened but they only take cash.
See how all that digital stuff works when the stuff hits the fan??!!!

You know what else doesn’t work when the electric goes out consistently (which seems to be happening more and more)
Let’s just say it’s not gas powered vehicles!
edit on 6-11-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

A while back I had just filled my gas tank when the power went out. As a result I wasn't able to complete my transaction. Since I had no cash on me I offered to pay by check. I was told that they don't take checks. The guy behind the counter called the Police. So I waited until they showed up and told them what was going on. I said that I could give him the check, put my phone number on it and go to where there was power, hit an ATM and bring back the money. The Police told him to take it or leave it. They couldn't do anything since I wasn't refusing to pay. I ended up going a few miles down the road, hit the ATM and came back and paid him.

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 10:27 AM
link   
But you need electricity for the gas stations or you still wont get any gas.

Technology is supposed to make things easier . We use to be able to count votes on election day every single time .

Now with all the technology it takes a week

That makes no effing sense

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 10:33 AM
link   
one of the things i found interesting about the pandemic has been the number of shops that have gone cash only...

in an age where i thought my country was competing with the Swedes to be the first to go digital it was eye opening aas has been the number of people i now see using cash..

if the coast of living crisis has a plus side it the amount of people moving from plastic to cash to control their spend..

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 10:34 AM
link   

when i was a little fella 10 or 11 back when cash still meant something and was still fairly valuable , my dad use to drag race. he took me with him one day to the machine shop, saw a sign there that i like so much i had one made and hung it over the counter when i had my shop open.

It said,

In God we trust, all others pay Cash.

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I get the feeling we are headed toward a global currency; both digital and coinage.

...and barter will make a comeback...

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 10:40 AM
link   
ill mannered post removed....
edit on 6-11-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: pureblood69

The power went out just as I finished pumping the gas.

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: pureblood69

No. The gas pumps have a hand pump in the bottom of the enclosure. At least the older ones do.

Also, the internet has to be working for credit card transactions and there might be power at that gas station but not somewhere down the line in the internet system.

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Now with all the technology it takes a week That makes no effing sense

i remember back when debit cards first came out, one of the claims was it's fast. most times when i go into a store i pay with cash unless it's a impulse buy or something real expensive and i don't want to swing by the bank.

most times when i check out i'm behind someone for some reason or another their card isn't working, takes up to several minutes sometimes to straighten out. me i walk up they ring it up and i hand them a Lincoln,Hamilton,Jackson,

Now with all the technology it takes a week That makes no effing sense

i remember back when debit cards first came out, one of the claims was it's fast. most times when i go into a store i pay with cash unless it's a impulse buy or something real expensive and i don't want to swing by the bank.

most times when i check out i'm behind someone for some reason or another their card isn't working, takes up to several minutes sometimes to straighten out. me i walk up they ring it up and i hand them a Lincoln,Hamilton,Jackson, Grant, Benji, get my change and am on my way, usually less than a minute.
edit on 6-11-2022 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

ETA: don't know whats going on with the site latly, been having problems with it cutting half the post off and won't let me edit it righ and post funky.
edit on 6-11-2022 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

Many gas stations have a server with a UPS that will retain the CC information and resend it when Internet or power is restored.

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I always keep cash on me or stuffed in the car, Nat Geo did a thing several years ago about what would happen in a grid down situation, paying for stuff in the store during the early stages was one of the things they covered.

Start thinking about the things that require power in your life that is essential or nearly essential and its kinda scary.

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Wait! another ex: dont carry your gold in SHTF scenario...or your bitcoin. Nowhere to cash in, and turn it in. See that crowd of families comin up on ya? Gold, money, food, guns. They will take it from you. Wouldnt you for your kids?

With no stores and electronics and how heavy even gold bars are? We prepare for all the wrong things, and over prepare with "lasting thru'...whatever.

Stores, and banks and anything electronic will be down, gone, stores non existant.

Scary thought for a Sunday and sorry you had that experience. A vision of our future.

Hey God bless ya n yours..JS.....MS

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 11:17 AM
link   

You'd think smart ass businesses would have backup "Wind" power by this day and age 🤣🤣🤣

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: pureblood69

Technology is supposed to make things easier . We use to be able to count votes on election day every single time .

Now with all the technology it takes a week

That makes no effing sense

Just think what will happen during a power outage when you try to charge-up your electric car 🤣🤣🤣

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

The power went out just as I finished pumping the gas.

If there was no power, how did the clerk know how much it was? 😁

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I've encountered several places recently that are cards only- NO CASH. One is public parking meters. There's no place to put coins. Don't pay and you get a ticket. The other surprising place is the local doctor's office. This is a Kaiser-Permanente outlet, and they are huge, but there is no cash on the premises. Want your prescription? Better bring a card.

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Someone could make a buck or two designing a wind up crank for a Tesla…

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Yep, we're one EMP away from complete chaos.

Most people never have to consider this.

edit on 11/6/2022 by MykeNukem because: sp.

posted on Nov, 6 2022 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I keep copper jacketed lead with a projector in the car for just such an emergency.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join