It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boring post: Amazon fraud , and how to feel safe shopping still on Amazon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Hi all.

So I had a fraudulent charge (spend on something Amazon) , from I assume my debit card that I had on file for my account.
Off course the card is cancelled etc, but I worry about adding a new card now.

I never share my information anywhere, only ever log on when I'm home and from my laptop that I only ever use at home.
I don't even login from my phone ever . I don't have a clue how this happened , but it made me feel more worried using Amazon now.

Would there be some viable alternative to using a debit card (except gift cards , I'm not paying $25 for $20).

Thanks

posted on Oct, 31 2022 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Is there such a thing in America as a pay as you go debit card?You top them up with a voucher that you buy and they are sort of disposable.
Only top it up before you want to use it.
I haven't had one for years but they used to at least make their money by adding a 1 or 2 percent charge to what you spent.

posted on Oct, 31 2022 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: glen200376

Yep, that's the way to go. I had one in Spain for all my Amazon shopping. Just put the amount in you're going to spend right before you buy.

posted on Oct, 31 2022 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ancientlight

Sounds like your card was pirated and duplicated, either by someone during a point of purchase (POV) transaction, or maybe by a card reader, or, long-shot, by someone using an RFID reader. Although none of these methods should have worked if your card has an impeded security chip.

You can buy "Faraday cage"-like card reader-proof wallets, or just wrap your cards in a couple of layers of aluminum foil.

posted on Oct, 31 2022 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Speak with your bank.
They may have one use debit cards with different account information.

posted on Oct, 31 2022 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I never liked the fact I had to give my card detail to Amazon rather than be able to pay with PayPal so what I did was I created my own 'middle man' by opening a second bank account the card for which I registered with Amazon (and the Apple Store for game buying). This account only has about £20 in it as a norm, but when I want to buy from Amazon I just login to my online banking, only ever on the PC, and do a transfer of funds from my main account to my 'middle man' account, which happens instantly, then I go and pay for the goods I want to buy at Amazon. This way if Amazon or the Apple Store get hacked the most anyone can get their hands on is about £20. I made sure there was no overdraft facilities on that second account, it is just a wee holding cell to protect my main account.

posted on Oct, 31 2022 @ 03:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ancientlight
Hi all.

So I had a fraudulent charge (spend on something Amazon) , from I assume my debit card that I had on file for my account.
Off course the card is cancelled etc, but I worry about adding a new card now.

I never share my information anywhere, only ever log on when I'm home and from my laptop that I only ever use at home.
I don't even login from my phone ever . I don't have a clue how this happened , but it made me feel more worried using Amazon now.

Would there be some viable alternative to using a debit card (except gift cards , I'm not paying $25 for $20).

Thanks

Got a close friend who spent a month or two, trying to get her money back after Amazon canceled her card, yes, THEY took her money and cancelled the accounts. This was just last month. 👍

posted on Oct, 31 2022 @ 05:52 AM
link   

I refuse to buy from Amazon until workers have the right to bathroom breaks.

posted on Oct, 31 2022 @ 07:20 AM
link   
This is why I use a credit card for my online transactions. You can dispute a cc transaction. Much harder with a debit card.

posted on Oct, 31 2022 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I would never use a debit card online. A CC can be disputed. If compromised a CC is only as good as the limit on it. A debit card is good for your entire account balance. Its not worth the risk.

Get yourself a prepaid debit/credit card. You put money on it in whatever amount you need, then use it like any other card. If it gets compromised there is nothing there to lose.

posted on Oct, 31 2022 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I use a credit card that is "lockable".

You can "lock" and "unlock" it in one click.

That way I only "unlock" it for the purchase and then "lock" it right after, so no more transactions can be made on it.

Not sure if you can do this with debit, your bank would know.

posted on Oct, 31 2022 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Speak with your bank.

I think I will do this first. I anyway also want to ask them about travel debit cards.
Travelling to the Netherlands in December

Otherwise I saw promising preloaded debit cards for Mastercard

NOT Visa : black owned business preloaded debit cards on their site

posted on Oct, 31 2022 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I have a seperate checking account used exclusivly for online purchases, set up so the transaction won't go through if there are not enough funds to cover so I don't get overdraft fees.

I keep an amount I'm willing to loose as a balance, and just transfer funds to it if I'm making a larger purchase.

posted on Oct, 31 2022 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ancientlight

originally posted by: Gothmog
Speak with your bank.

I think I will do this first. I anyway also want to ask them about travel debit cards.
Travelling to the Netherlands in December

Otherwise I saw promising preloaded debit cards for Mastercard

NOT Visa : black owned business preloaded debit cards on their site

I use em online .
Nothing else .
If someone "steals" the account number after a purchase , they get egg on their face.
Invalid card number .

top topics

join