It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘One kid might just think it’s candy’: Increase in children eating edibles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 05:02 AM
link   

An increasing number of young children are eating marijuana-laced candy, according to figures from poison control centers across the country and in Arizona. The ‘edibles’ come in all shapes and colors — appearing to be candies, brownies, gummies and even cereal. But the edibles, when in young hands, are causing some serious problems.
Poison centers across the country report a dramatic rise in the number of calls they’ve received regarding children under the age of 12 exposed to cannabis edibles. Poison control centers reported 187 calls in 2016 and more than 4,300 calls in 2021.

‘One kid might just think it’s candy’: Increase in children eating edibles

Really really unfortunate situation as cannabis-laced foods are packaged in imitation of regular products.
ever try keeping treats hidden from kids? they are very good at digging stuff out. and careless parents or babysitters might share them.

probably won't kill a child but can sicken

Roland said the amount of THC, the main psychoactive compound in marijuana and commonly found in edibles today, can cause severe drowsiness, breathing problems and nausea in young children. She says in rare cases, complications have led to death.

She said the edibles and products out today are stronger and more accessible than in decades past. “We are seeing higher [THC] concentrations, higher purity rates, and you know, just stronger product that’s out there,” Roland said.

they really need to mark the packages better.
I suspect a lot of the target customers are young adults who are little more than children themselves.

BE CAREFUL PEOPLE!!!

'Keep Out of Reach of Children' has rarely been more appropriate.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 06:01 AM
link   
That is bad enough but with all the fentanyl supposedly in country I would be concerned about deaths

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Edibles should be kept away form children for very obvious reasons.

That being said, and as you point out, its hardly lightly to kill them, and more inclined to just make them sleep or develop the munchies.

Pets are are more of a issue where accidently consuming edibles is concerned imho.
edit on 26-10-2022 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Spam
edit on Wed Oct 26 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 08:02 AM
link   

I swear kinds today are spoiled.
When I was ten we had to endure homemade popcorn balls and the occasional razor blade in our candy hall...

Today they get weed...

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 08:07 AM
link   
"Complications have led to death"? Here's some scrap paper, show your work. The ABSOLUTE worst that's going to happen to a kid is a panic attack, vomiting, hunger and finally napping. If they're young enough to experience breathing problems, they're too young to get anything out of a wrapper.

This is so friggin asinine. Between this and the fentanyl just holy hell. People need the scares or something. Why is it THC edibles which EFFING NO ONE DIES FROM and multicolored fentanyl are the end of our kids for sure but no one's crying about X and the fact that they've been hundreds of colors and shaped like cartoon characters and various other things pretty much since their inception? Must not be as scary or something. Anybody else remember the almost mythic status of double stack Pikachus?

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

When I was a kid it was the candy dots on a ribbon of paper that were supposedly laced with '___'. Funny how they were never able to find a single case of it happening.

My Cousin was an X-ray tech for the local hospital. He used to have lines of kids and their parents there to have their candy X-rayed. They would save their expired film for this. He never found anything, neither did any other tech from what he heard.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Perfect example of why cannabis industry fails to be taken seriously in many circles.

Package correctly, market correctly and make money.

Play stupid games get stupid prizes.

Good opportunity for clever marketing company to make millions.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I buy/make my own edibles and tinctures and I would never do this.

Besides the moral aspect do you have any idea how difficult marijuana is to cultivate, dry, cure, decarb, make into oil or butter, and then food? Or even worse have you seen the prices?

I hope no children get edibles in their bags this year. You can send them my way if you're getting rid of them.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Magnivea
"Complications have led to death"? Here's some scrap paper, show your work. The ABSOLUTE worst that's going to happen to a kid is a panic attack, vomiting, hunger and finally napping. If they're young enough to experience breathing problems, they're too young to get anything out of a wrapper.

This is so friggin asinine. Between this and the fentanyl just holy hell. People need the scares or something. Why is it THC edibles which EFFING NO ONE DIES FROM and multicolored fentanyl are the end of our kids for sure but no one's crying about X and the fact that they've been hundreds of colors and shaped like cartoon characters and various other things pretty much since their inception? Must not be as scary or something. Anybody else remember the almost mythic status of double stack Pikachus?

Yeah, pretty much what I think. Might not be good for a child to get stoned, but they're not going to die.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Maybe they could package edibles in a pillmbottle so the 'adults' would do a better job of securing them out of reach of young children?

A 15 year old with an assault rifle and 600 rounds of ammo was killed during a school shooting. Nowhere has any attention been given to learning how a 15 year old gets his hands on thousands of dollars worth of equipment, which SHOULD be the number one conversation, IMO. He was somehow enabled, as every young school shooter has been, yet crickets.

I bet more kids have been harmed from riding their bikes, getting into prescription meds and eating tide pods than consuming edibles.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 10:21 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 10:32 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 10:44 AM
link   
The article provided doesn't state whether or not these are homemade edibles or legally sold ones.

Because legal edibles are prepackaged in a container marked with a marijuana symbol.

The article also doesn't give an exact number of child deaths either. It lists about 10,000 cases over 5 years of children under 12 exposed to edibles, with only the single sentence: "She says in rare cases, complications have led to death."

Let's be generous and say that a rare case where a child dies from edibles is 1%.

1% of 10,000 is 100, over the course of 5 years of study, that makes it 20 kids a year die from edibles.

Of the approximately 150 children who die every year from food allergy reactions, 100 of those are attributed to peanuts.

With this math, you can conclude that peanuts are 5 times more lethal to children than cannabis edibles.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 12:39 PM
link   

SCUMBAG companies are making those things look just like sweets.

How long before some kid overdoses and goes into fit's or something.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I remember getting into those liquor filled chocolates as a child and getting very sick. Do we blame the company making them or the parents that left them on the table?

Making edibles look like gummy bears I disagree with. Just like I disagree with flavored alcohol and tobacco products targeting kids. But I rarely see the same outrage there. Especially considering it's proven that tobacco and alcohol take thousands of life's annually. Yet most violent crime associated with cannabis comes from it being illegal.

Drugs won the war on drugs.

I swear the OP must be with the DEA. They literally posted this same nonsense yesterday.
Anti-cannabis
Pro-war
VS
Pro-cannabis
Anti-war

You got it backwards.

edit on 26-10-2022 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Never heard of anyone overdosing or having fits after consuming edibles.

I have known them to sleep for a few days. LoL

If anything THC may help alleviate or prevent fits.

But they are not for children.

The packaging is indeed spurious all the same.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Maybe not but its obviously still packaged to look like sweets and that is going to get any child to want some and that is not good in my book.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 01:10 PM
link   

They do the same to similar with some alcohol products that appeal to young adults.

Take the likes of Dragon Soup for instance or a few other choice alcopops.

Disposable vape pens as well come in all sorts of multicolored and multiflavored variations that appeal to teenagers and young adults.

Dont look good in my book nether, but obviously works when aimed towards a specific target audience, and hence the reason the do so.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Children's Tylenol comes in Grape, Cherry, Bubblegum, and Strawberry.
LINK

Liver warning: This product contains acetaminophen. Severe liver damage may occur if your child takes

more than 5 doses in 24 hours, which is the maximum daily amount
with other drugs containing acetaminophen
Allergy alert: acetaminophen may cause severe skin reactions. Symptoms may include:

skin reddening
blisters
rash

Are you outraged that this is around the house?

It's up to parents to be responsible and keep it out of reach of children, just like anything else.

edit on 10/26/2022 by MykeNukem because: eh?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join