It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska snow crab season canceled officials investigate disappearance of an est 1 billion crabs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 12:36 AM
link   
A buddy of mine was telling me how much crab prices have increased in the last two years. He shops at a restaurant supply place. I like crab ok, it just seems like a lot of work to eat.

Anyway, reading this, I have to ask: Who in the hell counts a billion crabs?

I mean, if you're going to say that a billion crabs are missing, aren't you going to have to count at least a billion crabs and then say, "Where are the rest?" It's not like looking in your wallet and saying, "Some money is missing." You have to go out and do some kind of head count.

Who is doing this head count? What are their resources? Methods? Can they be trusted? Might they have an agenda?

Am I being overly paranoid? Maybe. But after "redefined" vaccines and toilet paper "shortages" I think if you're not paranoid then you're not paying attention.

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Could weigh them I suppose. But thats 1,000 loads of a million crabs...thats a lot of crab.

I bet if you stacked a billion crabs on top of each other that s*** would reach outer space.

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

That's an angle I hadn't considered. It's sad how I and others have forgotten about all that radiated water.

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

the fact is that the oceans fish are being depleted

So then it is a good thing that

It is now official that many fisherman in northern Japan might have to give up fishing. Also, the high cost of fuel is killing the fish industry.

edit on 15-10-2022 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

My theory is that the mother ship came and took them back to the Crab Nebula.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

If any of us have the money this would be the best time to start a land based sea crab nursery.

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

That is a whole bunch of crab, mean crap, humans have been depleting the oceans food sources for decades, to satisfy the insatiable hunger of humans, now they blame it on climate change.

Sadly, only idiots will believe this crab, I mean crap.

Damn humans eating!

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
They are hiding from all you porky Chinese Buffet Bandits,

true story. We went to Myrtle Beach and took some family from Ohio. We went to the "Giant Crab" a restaurant known for it's crab leg buffet. Now I'm a tiny bit portly, some would say almost bordering on fat, but I walked up to the Buffet with an empty plate and a smile, and a guy behind the counter had eagle eyes on me, picked up his radio, while never breaking eye contact, and said "we are going to need more crab leggs", and the container was half full. It may have been a coincidence, but I didn't take it that way. I ate two more plates than I should have just to spite them. that's how I roll.

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Good thing I don’t eat seafood, else this would be a problem.

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 09:45 AM
link   
FWIW Here are the snow crab figures since 2015, metric tons dropped till 2018 and rose ever since. So the population isn't likely dead it's just depleted and moved elsewhere. If I'm running the report correctly wherever that cool water went is where whatever snow crab population is left is

www.fisheries.noaa.gov...:200:3637037625257::NO:RP::

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: VulcanWerks

Good thing I don’t eat seafood, else this would be a problem.

I love crab legs, used to have a crab boil 2-3 times a year, but the last time I saw them they cost a third more than usual. They were already high LOL and were considered a luxury cuisine

The crazy thing in 2021 they had 1/4 the metric tonnage landed as 2015 but had almost double the dollars. In 7 years almost double. Do most industries double their business in 7 years? pretty sure mine doesn't hell it's barely doubled in 20 years, crazy growth

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 03:33 PM
link   
How many degrees has the ocean in that area risen ? If not anything substantial I would rule out climate change . In the ocean animals like their homes and tend to stay until there is a disturbance and then they move along even coral will do this totally separate from their skeletons and float along until they fin a suitable habitat to survive in .

No temp change means something environmental and that would be a disaster meaning there is something terribly wrong .

You can not blame over fishing crabs multiply by the millions .

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Maybe somebody can come out with a new solution make crabs meat from bugs, that out to make the insatiable palate of the crap eaters, I mean crab eaters feel like they are eating crap, I mean crab.

Best way to boost the prices on crab, create a crisis and raise the prices, well they all can have it, I am not a crab eater, soo it does not bother me a bit.

Crustaceans happen to be the bottom feeders of the oceans; they are actually the cockroaches of the oceans.

You must have been scared by a crab as a child.

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358
I suspect Fukushmi is a factor too.

Depending on how long it takes for them to mature, it may take some time to see if their life cycle has been disrupted.

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I heard rumor from a Fiddler crab that they all decide to migrate to Aspen for the upcoming Winter. They apparently left early to be in time for the first snow of the season..

edit on 15-10-2022 by LLoyd45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Warm waters cause em to huddle into cold areas. Makes it easy to poison em, just need poisoned bait, meat etc.. Its warfare on the snow crabs and Alaska’s economy. It’s a who dun it.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Donkey_Dean

Warm waters cause em to huddle into cold areas. Makes it easy to poison em, just need poisoned bait, meat etc.. Its warfare on the snow crabs and Alaska’s economy. It’s a who dun it.

FWIW there is another thread about the invasive green crab hitting the PNW, who knows one species moves out another move in.

But I'm confused they act like there have been two years of snow crab season canceled yet the report at the link above had 15,000 and 20,000 metric tons landed in 2020 and 2021. I suppose they are just referring to snow crab population in the Bering Sea and not all of Alaska? of course I could be totally wrong,

www.adfg.alaska.gov...

Range and Habitat
Tanner crabs are two of the four species of the genus Chionoecetes occurring in the eastern North Pacific Ocean and Bering Sea. They form the basis of a thriving domestic fishery from southeastern Alaska north through the Bering Sea. These crabs are also marketed under their trade names: snow crab (C. opilio) and Tanner crab (C. bairdi).

Migration patterns are not well understood; however, it is known that the sexes are separated during much of the year and move into the same areas during the reproductive season.

Tanner crabs feed on a wide assortment of marine life including worms, clams, mussels, snails, crabs, other crustaceans, and fish parts. They are fed upon by bottomfish, pelagic fish, and humans.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: jarsue97

Maybe somebody can come out with a new solution make crabs meat from bugs, that out to make the insatiable palate of the crap eaters, I mean crab eaters feel like they are eating crap, I mean crab.

Best way to boost the prices on crab, create a crisis and raise the prices, well they all can have it, I am not a crab eater, soo it does not bother me a bit.

Crustaceans happen to be the bottom feeders of the oceans; they are actually the cockroaches of the oceans.

Impossible Crab will be the new product soon.

imitation crab has been around for a while.

lol.

snow crab is a waste of time to eat. nothing there.

it's just an attraction for a buffet promotion.

the real money is the king crab.

and no one puts them on a buffet.

that i've seen.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Ok, here's my take. Crabs have legs. Crabs walk. If they aren't in the location that they usually are then there's a strong chance that they've moved.

We had a similar situation with Alaskan Caribou. There was an article a couple of years ago about how the caribou had gone. Climate change was obviously brought up until they asked the natives about it. They move, was the answer.

As for the warm waters they tend to talk about, well we're talking about an average of 9.1C which is pretty much a fridge.

If they can't find them they have walked or the Chinese have Hoovered them up.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 11:00 AM
link   

That is a whole bunch of crab, mean crap, humans have been depleting the oceans food sources for decades, to satisfy the insatiable hunger of humans, now they blame it on climate change.

Sadly, only idiots will believe this crab, I mean crap.

Down 90% in 1-2yrs and you want to blame over fishing? This kind of blind partisan nonsense is helping nobody. Get over yourself and accept there's a problem.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join