It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have baby-boomer Americans stopped calling Havana's streetscape stuck in a time-warp?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2022 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Found this in an Associated Press article from last March about the effects of Russia's invasion of the Ukraine on Cuba's car fleets:

Cuban statistics indicate the island has about 20,000 old American cars and 80,000 to 100,000 Ladas.

Not too long ago, some foreign visitors, including American baby-boomers and classic car aficionados, had a tendency to view Havana's streetscape as being stuck in some sort of time-warp, but the latest Cuban government statistics show that the number of Soviet-era automobiles in Cuban service is four to five times the number of vintage 1940s and 1950s Chevies and Cadillacs on the island. Did you have the chance to any baby-boomer Americans who went to Cuba during the Obama presidency if they ever changed their mind about the nature of Havana's streetscape after seeing Soviet-made cars in some parts of Havana?
edit on 9-10-2022 by Potlatch because: Corrected wording

posted on Oct, 9 2022 @ 03:34 PM
link   
would be good if they marketed it as a place to film movies set in the past, so they don't require as much set dressing.

posted on Oct, 9 2022 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Potlatch

It stands to reason vehicles from the 40s and 50s would start to be replaced with newer models there.

It is a hot and humid environment that gets regularly hit by tropical storms.

They're trading their 60-80 yr old cars for 50 year old cars.

Not a very remarkable situation.

posted on Oct, 9 2022 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The wording of this post seems difficult to understand. Maybe I am having a stroke.

posted on Oct, 9 2022 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TomLawless
The wording of this post seems difficult to understand. Maybe I am having a stroke.

I should have written the sentence "Did you have the chance to any baby-boomer Americans who went to Cuba during the Obama presidency if they ever changed their mind about the nature of Havana's streetscape after seeing Soviet-made cars in some parts of Havana?" as "Did you have the chance to ask any baby-boomer Americans who went to Cuba during the Obama presidency if they ever changed their mind about the nature of Havana's streetscape after seeing Soviet-made cars in some parts of Havana?" because I accidentally left out ask in this sentence. Therefore, I'm curious if you asked any baby-boomer Americans who went to Cuba during the Obama presidency if they ever changed their mind about the nature of Havana's streetscape after seeing Soviet-made cars in some parts of Havana.

posted on Oct, 9 2022 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Why do you reference Baby Boomers? What does that have to do with the issue? Is it because they are the only people who can recognize the difference between 55,56,57 Chevies by their tail lights? Or is it because they are the only people alive who can still drive a stick?

posted on Oct, 11 2022 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Why do you reference Baby Boomers? What does that have to do with the issue? Is it because they are the only people who can recognize the difference between 55,56,57 Chevies by their tail lights? Or is it because they are the only people alive who can still drive a stick?

Baby boomers were born in the late 1940s, and the oldest models out of the estimated 20,000 or fewer vintage American cars in Cuba were built in the mid-late 1940s.

join