It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shaggy and Velma From Scooby Cartoon Show Had Being Race Swapped

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Not sure where to put this story.
But they are indeed coming after your favorite, classic cartoon characters and replacing them by race swapping old characters from the mid 90/2000s shows.
They are changing characters, stories to whichever it fits the "Modern Audiences"

This whole swapping old characters from old shows "mix them, Interracial characters"
to push a agenda or narrative is not helpful.

If you dont like the show you would criticized as racist it's obvious what they are trying to pull with this and that is if it fails they would label and criticize the critics.
HBO Max’s adult-animated ‘VELMA’ series.

edit on 7-10-2022 by vNex92 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: vNex92

"Norville?"

🤦🏾‍♂️😂

Honestly, what does Hollywood have left?

Remake them all, I say! There's always the originals still intact.

Perhaps sooner or later they'll get the idea that these equity films flop everytime, but I doubt it.

Remake the all!!

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I watched Scooby doo as a kid, not since though. I don’t have an issue with them diversifying the characters to reflect modern society. However their sexual preferences are not something I personally believe are at all relevant to young children.
The changed characters do not affect me, I am not the target audience and if I wanted to watch Scooby doo I have the originals I watched still there, I can’t imagine why I would.

I do have an issue when the ‘washing’ is criticised the other way around, if it’s ok one way then it’s ok the other. There will be screeches from one side now calling those that are making an issue of this racist, yet they did exactly the same themselves in other instances and called it white washing. It’s the obvious hypocrisy that angers most.
edit on 7-10-2022 by Tortuga because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Tortuga

The current diversifying the characters is an obsession by wealthy liberal elitists who dont have a reality on what a actual diversity looks like.

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I do not disagree.

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Scooby doo is owned by Warner Bros.

As such its an asset and can be used to generate income. As they own the asset it's their right to alter it and if they choose to alter it so it's a more profitable and valuable product then thats what they will do.

I think this and other examples are far more about cash than anything nefarious or "woke"

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 03:44 AM
link   
It kinda makes sense that Shaggy is Black, and Velma sounds Indianish.

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 03:45 AM
link   
You’d think they would have learned that it tends not to make much cash when they do this.

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: PureBlood

Isn’t it Thelma?

Seems you can find both names on a google search.
edit on 7-10-2022 by Tortuga because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I think this and other examples are far more about cash

Eventually such shows are going to end badly for the media entertainment.

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Yet they didn't race swap Fred.
edit on 7-10-2022 by vNex92 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tortuga

Isn’t it Thelma?

Seems you can find both names on a google search.

No maybe your thinking about the Black remake of "Thelma and Louise"

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 03:53 AM
link   

As long as things generate more money than they cost to make they really don't care.

They have no interest in your memories or opinions just the bank balance and stock prices. They are businesses.

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 05:25 AM
link   

I think adults who get there gears ground by children’s cartoons perhaps need to re-evaluate there priorities in life

A true alpha male problem, animation causing outrage

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Scooby Doo has a million episodes. If they want to remake the show with new characters and actors who cares?

Sure, its obvious they are putting in a more "diverse" cast but not sure why that would really bother anyone unless you're a rabid scooby doo fan or racist.

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: CptGreenTea
I stopped watching it when Scrappy Doo joined the crew.

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I thought you weren't allowed to have a character voiced by an actor that is not the same race? that's appropriation.

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Fred is sort of dumb. There's no need.

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I think the best theory on this I have seen is free publicity. They trash an IP by obviously dicking with classic, established characters. Then when fans react with anger because of the disrespect to established Canon, they blame them for being racist, misogynist, homophobic, whatever. The controversy gets carried in the press; it's free marketing. They bank on people paying to see what all the fuss is about.

Then, since it will suck. They ruin the IP, and move on to the next.

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 07:05 AM
link   
its not really about race, its just corporations trying to attract younger audiences who are more liberal and less white, generally younger people are bigger consumers while older people buy less and aren't impressionable anymore so they aren't an ideal target for ads or media, its the usual generation pattern of America where the young push out the old because they resent the old ways they had to grow up under, so companies exploit it to influence and attract new generation consumers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join