It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine did in fact ban the Russian language in schools.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Thought this deserved its own thread because whenever I or others bring it up a few posters reply with "Russian propaganda", or "lies" etc.

I have posted some of the anti Russian laws that the Poroshenko Ukrainian government put in place after the coup of 2014 when he got into power in other threads but thought I would post this one about the schooling because it is quite important.

Ukraine banned teaching the children in Russian in communities in Eastern Ukraine that are almost 100% ethnic Russian Ukrainians that are Russian speakers, that have been teaching their children Schooling in the Russian language for many generations.

This would be the same if Canada banned teaching children in French in Quebec in the communities that only speak French. They would tell these French speaking communities "English only" from now on and this would be after the pro French speaking government that everyone in Quebec voted for got overthrown for a government that instilled anti French laws, including removing French as a second language in Canada. Do you think these French speaking people of Quebec would want to stay in Canada?

What would you think of a government that did that to it's minority speakers? Because this is EXACTLY what Ukraine did to its Ethnic Russian Ukrainians that spoke Russian and lived in areas that everyone spoke Russian in.

All public schools in Ukraine wiped out the Russian language from their programs this school year (2020) to implement the law passed by the country's parliament, Supreme Rada, three years ago

The law "On Education" adopted in September 2017 envisages that all schooling, along with other public services, could be provided in the Ukrainian language only. The law gave a three-year transition period to fully implement the requirements, so the Minister of education Anna Novosad followed the deadline with high accuracy.

the only Russian-language subject allowed in Ukraine's schools is the Russian language itself and only from the 1st to the 5th grades. The teachers who fail to follow the requirements, including small talks with the students during class hours or discussions of the school matters with the parents in Russian, will be fined.

www.fairplanet.org...

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Exactly which is why the Eastern Ukrainians had turned to separatism from Kiev.
They are being treated as second class.
With no rights to their own language. Even though Ukrainians still can understand Russians by their language.

Ukrainian Culture is still Russian.

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 12:00 AM
link   

The language problem has been behind the conflict in Donbas, where several areas proclaimed separation from Ukraine in March 2014, following the nationalistic Supreme Rada ruling to forbid the use of the Russian language in public life

In 2012, the country's third-largest city of Odessa gave the Russian language an official status. The decision was later overridden by the city court as it contradicted the national law. Odessa, as well as Ukraine's second-largest city of Kharkiv, is also a predominantly Russian-speaking city

From the same above posted article

www.fairplanet.org...

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: vNex92
With no rights to their own language. Even though Ukrainians still can understand Russians by their language.

Yup I dont understand how anybody can't understand why these people wanted to separate.

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: MisguidedAngel

Ukrainians, Russian peoples, and their culture today. Wouldn't exist today if the mongol empire was successful into the destruction of Moscow and Rus people.

Mongol empire would had expand towards Western Europe if the mongol empire were successful.
Some on who here are hoping for Russia to fail militarily do not understand the implications nor the consequence of that conviction.

If Russia fails China fails and China's own borders become a risk..

edit on 4-10-2022 by vNex92 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-10-2022 by vNex92 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 12:08 AM
link   
From 2017...

Ukraine’s neighbors have a right to criticize a new Ukrainian law banning schools from teaching in minority languages beyond primary school level, a leading European rights watchdog said on Friday.

As of 2015, Ukraine had 621 schools that taught in Russian, 78 in Romanian, 68 in Hungarian and five in Polish, according to education ministry data.

The commission said a provision in the new law to allow some subjects to be taught in official EU languages, such as Hungarian, Romanian and Polish, appeared to discriminate against speakers of Russian, the most widely used non-state language

www.reuters.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Food for thought, do you think this would still have happened if Russia had focused on maintaining friendly relations with Ukraine, rather than Russia declaring war on Ukraine by invading and annexing Crimea in 2014?

I mean the Canadian scenario isnt the same unless we assume that the French already invaded Quebec and annexed part of it while declaring that Canada is a fake state and that they will nuke them if they dont go away from all their French land.

Or maybe the Canadians would just say we're sorry and live happily with their new French overlords.

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 12:19 AM
link   

So you weren't able to find any of those imaginary laws that existed before russia invaded Ukraine?

This is my surprised face:

Strange things happen in the countries you go land grabbing in, they tend to HATE everything about you.

Perhaps putin should have considered that before repeatedly invading Ukraine.

Need a few more days to find some 'evidence' for what you so boldly claimed?

How was the game?

Need more time?

edit on 4-10-2022 by MidnightWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: vNex92

Her 'evidence' was several years after russia invaded

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisguidedAngel

originally posted by: vNex92

Yup I dont understand how anybody can't understand why these people wanted to separate.

Because they predicted something that happened after they were invaded?

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: MidnightWatcher

Strange things happen in the countries you go land grabbing in, they tend to HATE everything about you.

the game?

I think many in Ukraine remembers that Russia killed about 30% of the population back in the 30s and basically went all Galactic Empire on them after WWII with massive concentration camps to indorenate the masses into the USSR. Today, Russia does not recognize Ukraine as a sovereign country and say there is no such thing as a national Ukraine language. So just what do people think Russia would do to the 40 million in Ukraine who do not see themselves as Russian if Russia took the whole country?

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: merka
Food for thought, do you think this would still have happened if Russia had focused on maintaining friendly relations with Ukraine, rather than Russia declaring war on Ukraine by invading and annexing Crimea in 2014?

I mean the Canadian scenario isnt the same unless we assume that the French already invaded Quebec and annexed part of it while declaring that Canada is a fake state and that they will nuke them if they dont go away from all their French land.

Or maybe the Canadians would just say we're sorry and live happily with their new French overlords.

It's exactly like the Canadian example I gave. These are Ukrainian citizens they were denying their language from, not Russian citizens. UKRAINIAN. Ukraine doesn't allow its citizens to have dual citizenship from ANY OTHER COUNTRY. They denied their own citizens to speak their fluent language that they have been using for hundreds of years.

Crimeans wanted out of Ukraine and they are happy under Russia...

www.washingtonpost.com...

Russia never invaded Crimea they've always had army base their and their navy as well.
edit on 4-10-2022 by MisguidedAngel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Can you provide an example of that happening before russia invaded in 2014?

Cuz I'm still waiting.

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 02:36 AM
link   

"Russia never invaded Crimea they've always had army base their and their navy as well."

Did russia own or rent those bases?

did russia invade the rest of Crimea, and then 'annex' it into russia?

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 02:45 AM
link   

So you weren't able to find any of those imaginary laws that existed before russia invaded Ukraine?

This is my surprised face:

Need a few more days to find some 'evidence' for what you so boldly claimed?

How was the game?

Need more time?

I told you it was after the coup the Poroshenko government started adding anti Russian laws. You called it Russian propaganda and lies and you were wrong. Russia didn't invade till this year, keep playing your games, you were proven wrong.

Ukraine banned Ukrainian children to be taught in Russian at school even when it's their fluent language and in many cases their only language, which is only hurting little kids that are totally innocent but this is what Ukraine does and this is why they are separating.

Poroshenko (Ukrainian President) famously said "our kids can go to school, their kids (speaking of Ukrainian children living in Donbass) can go hide in a bomb shelter"

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Cuz I'm still waiting.

This was Russia and Ukraine before the US backed Nationalists/Nazis staged their coup in 2014....

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 03:21 AM
link   
With what I have heard about Ukraine banning the Russian language was that it included all interactions with government. For example if someone spoke Russian to a police officer, that was enough to get arrested.

This law ended up getting dropped a year or two after it was implemented as there was just too many people that only spoke Russian.

This extreme level of government discrimination did not stop here with a lot of other political and physical persecution against those of Russian decent.

How a government could implement such a policy does exhibit a lot of hate against its population. The kind of ethnic cleansing one expects to see in a war zone, which Ukraine has become.

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 03:29 AM
link   

I know what you told me, that's called an 'opinion'.

I asked for 'evidence', and you have not provided any.

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisguidedAngel

Cuz I'm still waiting.

This was Russia and Ukraine before the US backed Nationalists/Nazis staged their coup in 2014....

I don't see anything, image problem?

You mean someone ran to russia after stealing 70 billion dollars and then got impeached?

edit on 4-10-2022 by MidnightWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

Have any evidence for that long running russian propaganda?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join