It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking Find! Biggest Ocean on Earth Found Near Earth's Core

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   
"Awesome! Biggest ocean on Earth found! It is GIGANTIC, but you cannot see it"
tech.hindustantimes.com...

The biggest ocean on earth has just been found! An international team of researchers have found a gigantic ocean near the Earth’s core that is 3 times bigger than all of the world's oceans. The water reservoir is discovered in the boundary between the Earth's upper and lower mantles.

The team of scientists from the Institute for Geosciences at Goethe University in Frankfurt, Germany has said that this new research will provide empirical evidence for an amazing long-held hypothesis - water from the oceans travels by subducting slabs into the transition zone.

And since the inside of the Earth is also part of the water cycle, the water cycle is speculated to extend across the whole globe.

This is a pretty cool find and study. Ironically we are all connected I just wonder if any pollution caused above the Earth's crust will affect the deep ocean that has been discovered...seeing as all oceans are somehow connected. Thoughts?

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

If we have 3 times the amount of water we thought we had it kind of suggests that water is everywhere in the Galaxy / Universe and most rocky planets will also have an abundance of the wet stuff.

The discovery also begs the questions why ? and how ?

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I’m curious about what kind of species are down there. The biggest ones tend to be in the deepest waters.

Additionally, could this be where the USO’s are hiding?
edit on 3-10-2022 by KKLOCO because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:19 PM
link   

interesting really I've always thought of Earth as a Water planet considering 70+% of the surface is Water but now if this true then the Earth truly is a Water planet with little plots of land here and there .

Pollution is a problem But I think we over estimate how much we as Humans affect Earth , If mother nature wished it She could kill us all tomorrow

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

could this be where the USO’s are hiding?

I'm almost positive they're hiding in Area 51.

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:27 PM
link   

If it's near the core I wonder how hot that water is?

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Hollow Earth?

Lol, joking, maybe.

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Idiotic nonsense, proving that people will believe anything. Any water way down there (being lighter than anything way down there) would have made it's way to the surface over the millions of years of earth's history.

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:32 PM
link   
My first thought as well.

That close to the core and all that pressure on top it must be a bit toasty?

originally posted by: underpass61

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: starviego

And what would fill the void left behind once this water migrated up?

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:34 PM
link   

And what would fill the void left behind once this water migrated up?

I'm no geologist, but I suspect it would be hard, rocky -type stuff.

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I have never heard a plausible explanation as to where all the planet's water came from.

Not buying comets.

Anyone help me out?

I really don't know.

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:37 PM
link   
When I was a small kid I always thought water was created by some process inside the earth,and that leaked up to the surface to make our oceans.Not sure where i got the idea,but the teachers told me it was wrong-water came from meteors they said.
When I got older I started to think it was possible via electolysis of a sort-that at the boundry of our spinning molten core,huge static charges are generated,freeing hydrogen and ozygen atoms from the surrounding non molten rock,some of which combine into H2O due to the insane pressures and spin..which is what forces the "new"water outwards towards the surface.

This newly discovered underground ocean kind of fits with my theory I think.

I wonder if the new ocean water exists as actual free flowing water-or if most of it is just lurking in porous rock layers?
If its free flowing it may have its own unique ecosystem,unhindered by humans.
There could be some really strange life forms down there in the world within the world.

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Water is abundant in the universe.

Its hydrogen and oxygen 2 of the most abundant elements there are.

When I was a kid they said it was really rare but they got that wrong.

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
a reply to: gortex

I have never heard a plausible explanation as to where all the planet's water came from.

Not buying comets.

Anyone help me out?

I really don't know.

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:48 PM
link   

The Mantle itself is 200°C (392°F) to 4,000°C (7,230°F), per Wikipedia. So pretty darn hot!

Possible there's some real steam energy waiting to be pulled up and put to use? Though you really wouldn't want to have a blowout in one of those wells.

edit on 3-10-2022 by gb540 because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:55 PM
link   

From an engineering standpoint that is not the case.

If it is trapped in rock, which it very well could be at any given time, it would not move at all. Water is one of the densest materials on Earth and can not be compressed. It does not give way under pressure, it simply transmits that pressure somewhere else - hydraulics.

If it is in a sealed environment it could remain liquid despite incredibly high temperatures. The danger then would be when it gets free and is allowed to expand into super-heated steam. The ratio is appox. 300-1. And at those kinds of temps, it would happen in a fraction of a second. In fact, it is literally called flashing.

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The problem is still how to reach something that far from Earth surface. The Soviets reached 12+ kilometers and the project started to be difficult , too difficult .

Not sure is there now better drilling equipments available .

Kola Superdeep Borehole

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:58 PM
link   
That's a really good article, the two mantles must work like a pressure vessel to keep it in a liquid form because the temperatures are really high at 400c and above.

A link to a site with information about the Earths mantles with pressures and temps.
Sciencing website.

The Earth is a dynamic planet. It is made of layers: the crust, the mantle and the core. The mantle itself is an interesting zone, with differences between the upper and lower mantle. It helps to learn the upper mantle and lower mantle definition, along with their differencing characteristics, to greater understand the Earth’s geological behavior.

The first difference between the upper mantle and lower mantle is their location. The upper mantle adjoins the crust to form the lithosphere, whereas the lower mantle never comes in contact with the crust. In fact, the upper mantle has been found to contain tears in certain areas, such as the Indian tectonic plate, whose collision with the Asian tectonic plate has caused many devastating earthquakes. These rips occur in multiple places in the upper mantle. The areas of crust above these tears are exposed to more of the mantle’s heat than other areas, and in those areas of warmer crust, the earthquakes are not as prevalent. The evidence from the research suggests that the crust and upper mantle in southern Tibet are strongly coupled. Information such as this can help with earthquake risk assessment.

edit on 3-10-2022 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure this article is not true by the way.

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 01:08 PM
link   

The more they find the more the earth reminds me of a giant battery. Im convinced the earth and universe has way more electrical and magnetic aspects than they will admit. So just a fun biased thought.

This is fascinating and exciting g none the less.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join