It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL concussion protocol

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 05:13 PM
link   
www.msn.com...

Tua Tagovailoa, the Miami Dolphins quarterback, was knocked out of the game Thursday night NFL football game with the Cincinnati Bengals. The previous Sunday night with the Buffalo Bills, he was knocked out after taking a hit. After supposedly being evaluated by a doctor, he was allowed back in the game the second half, despite having been wobbly and haven fallen after being hit earlier. For the Bengals game, he took a huge hit, and was taken off the field in a stretcher to a hospital in Cincinnati.

I watched the game live on Amazon Prime, and it was gut wrenching to see. I was very skeptical the previous Sunday in the Bills game as I was shocked that he was let back in the game. Based on what I saw in that game, my assumption was that he had a concussion. Now I'm not a doctor, but I was like WTF? Then five days later, he gets another major hit, and is carted off the field in a damn stretcher? Someone is hiding something or trying to sweep it under the rug.

I think it's absolutely appalling that they mishandled it like this. They don't give a damn about people, just want to make sure they keep playing so they can make more money. It always comes down to the money, make no mistake. Heads should roll. I hope they do a full investigation. I'm a huge NFL fan, but # like this makes me just want to stop watching.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

I wouldn't care if he was screaming to get back in the game it would have been a big fat NO from me. Last night's hit was messed up.

Someone should be held accountable.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 06:04 PM
link   
It's definitely a bad look for the Dolphins and dammit I like Tua, but he needs to sit down and get a second opinion from a non-team doctor.

Seeing him virtually go into a seizure on the field, should mean he is getting a battery of test tests done.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Thanks for posting about this, and for the background on the earlier injury.
By knocked out, you are saying loss of consciousness?

I am really surprised they let him playout the remainder of the game last week.
You'd think they have live League Spotters and a Quiet Room like the NHL.

Neuroscientist blasts Miami Dolphins over horror Tua Tagovailoa hit: ‘Two concussions in five days can kill’

A concussion expert says Tua Tagovailoa's stiffened hands were 'primitive' response that suggests damage to brain's cortex

Neurologist and concussion expert Chris Nowinski said Tagovailoa showed signs of "decorticate posturing," a severe, "primitive" brain response that indicates damage to the cortex.

If there can be proof the NFL should have had him benched for that game due to the injury the previous game....

edit on Fri Sep 30 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefDRemember the last '' Hey NFL, clean up your act'' of what was it, 5, 10 years ago when that movie was made about the QB and his concussion? Oh sez they, we will, we will. They made some rules more effective and put in some safety things but still it's a rough industry (not game) and each of those guys take their chances.

Remember just a week ago when the new QB for the Niners went out with what might be a career ankle injury? He's a millionaire now so why would he come back and play EVER AGAIN. Look at Brady, back again at possibly the cost of his marriage and family. Isn't he rich enough? Isn't he famous enough? Doesn't he have any career in the world waiting for him to pick it up for massive amounts of money until he dies? Why the hell is he still at it.

And Tua, what is he worth now. Certainly millions from his contract and signing bonus. Sure he had a future of tens and tens of millions in his future, but is it worth it? He got the spunk knocked out of him a week ago yet, came back to play again yesterday. WHY? Just how stupid can he be I wonder. I say, take the money and run kid and don't look back.

And sure the team was wrong, that is a given. And what with the shortage of QBs this year the company wants to get it's nickle's worth out of each player regardless.

So I figure, let em both go for it. Make as much money as you can either by placing your entire future on the line each and every play for the money you will make and the teams for exploiting them for the profit of those who sit in their luxury boxes ohhing and awing at each and every sack. They all deserve each other.

And me? Yeah, I will watch now and then cuz it is magnificent spectacle .

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Should of never been playing on such a short week. NFL greed with the extra game on Thursday. Shows
how much the NFL cares about money and the safety of the players.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Take it from an athlete: you underestimate the drive and the need. Some will try to play even as it kills them.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 11:35 PM
link   

My husband and I were talking about this. We wonder how long football will continue.

The Jetsons cartoon had robots playing football. Wonder if something like that will come to fruition.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You're right of course. I never was much of a competitive athlete so that level of drive is beyond my ken. I just have to sit back and marvel in awe.

I did a nice amount of surfing when I was young but knew my fear limits. I would watch some of those old surf movies and just marvel at the gumption of some of the big wave riders. Not me though, but I at least understood the thrill to a degree.

If you have never seen this one on the topic of that drive, that need to compete, not so much with other people but rather compete with the highest levels of human endurance I would like to recommend to you this HBO series called ''The Hundred Foot Wave.

It documents this small group of big wave surfers who found this place off the coast of Portugal that due to bottom topography and location in the cycle of currents that would have the biggest and most preposterous waves any of them had ever seen. Slowly over the course of several season, some of them managed to conquer these waves without dying. Some though did while others just got really wracked up, healed and went back out again. Marvelous photography and a story about the heights of human courage, or idiocy , depending on ones view point.

posted on Oct, 4 2022 @ 07:56 AM
link   
this Tua situationi should be interesting considering 2 incidents in consecutive games following controversy over the first incident. there was an interesting thing with the coach where at first he said he was fine, then later that day he was crying and saying how it was so good to hear his voice again. I think the lawyers got the word out to stop downplaying the severity.

new topics

top topics

join