It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norah Vincent the Liberal martyr that never was

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Norah Vincent .

This woman's Story stands as a Testament to the Feminist movement but moreover It stands as a Testament to Liberalism.

Norah Vincent was a burning heart Liberal She was a True believer if there ever was one , and she so believed in her convictions that she disguised herself as a Man for nearly two years and decided to prove a man's life was easy and Privileged .

You can read about her experience in her 2006 novel ‘Self-Made Man’ .

An excerpt from her novel.

Vincent's book Self-Made Man (2006) retells an eighteen-month experiment in the early 2000s in which she disguised herself as a man.[1][4] This was compared to previous undercover journalism such as Black Like Me.[3] Vincent was interviewed by Juju Chang on the ABC News program 20/20[5] and talked about the experience in HARDtalk extra on BBC on April 21, 2006, where she described her experiences in male-male and male-female relationships. She joined an all-male bowling club,[1] joined a men's therapy group, went to a strip club,[1] dated women, and used her knowledge as a lapsed Catholic[1][5][6] to visit monks in a monastery.[7]

Vincent wrote that the only time she has ever been considered excessively feminine was during her stint as a man. Her alter ego, Ned, was assumed to be gay on several occasions. Features which had been perceived as "butch" when she presented as a woman were perceived as oddly effeminate when she presented as a man. Vincent asserted that, since the experiment, she had more fully realized the benefits of being female and the disadvantages of being male, stating, "I really like being a woman. ... I like it more now because I think it's more of a privilege."[5]

Vincent also stated that she had gained more sympathy and understanding for men and the male condition: "Men are suffering. They have different problems than women have but they don't have it better. They need our sympathy, they need our love, and they need each other more than anything else. They need to be together."[5]

This woman's Experience and the overall result of her experience should stand as a Shining example of why Liberal Ideology is fundamentally flawed , like I said she was a true believer in liberal ideology so much so that she tried to literally live it and prove it and when she distilled it down to its core and she discovered the truth she realized she was wrong and yes she committed suicide .

Now I'm not going to go into this woman committing suicide because that is tragic and her death should be laid at the Altar of Liberalism , She believed in a lie and millions of people wake up every day believing in that same lie . This woman was intelligent and unbelievably driven without a doubt she was an Asset to humanity but she was destroyed by the Truth that her beliefs were a lie.

Thank you for your time

edit on 30-9-2022 by asabuvsobelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

That was fascinating -- thank you for posting!

I saw her on a talk show once after this book was published. It was easy to see that she'd been profoundly impacted by her experience. I'm guessing that as a lesbian, she hadn't been in many (if any) long-term relationships with men, which may have made it even more profound an experience. I was very sad to hear that she had gone the assisted suicide route.

If I remember correctly, however, she was a Libertarian, and rejected some/much of the liberal platform.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 01:07 PM
link   
She was obviously an honorable woman. Some would have shelved the book if it didn’t support a certain end.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

These days the publishers would.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Respect, and if there's any woman trying this experiment in Russia right now, it might be time to stop ...

"No, no, I'm telling you I'm not a real man, this is an experiment"!

The recruitment (or dare I say "impressment") officers: "Yeah, yeah, sleep it off on the bus and tell it to the sergeant with the one leg and the guide-dog in the Ukraine.
Your wife even packed you tampons for the bullet wounds"!
edit on 30-9-2022 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 03:13 PM
link   
And probably (from what I hear) it's not a good idea for any feminist to put on a fake beard and pretend to be a male student at an Islamist secondary school (in Afghanistan for example), just to show how privileged males are, and what women and girls are missing out on.

Hours of recitations, hunger and all kinds of corporal punishment and beatings?

I never signed up for this BBC, help I'm not a real man ... really?

"Har, har har, this young man needs extra bastinado to beat the Satan out of him"!

OK, the torture may end when it's time for the adolescent tribal male circumcision ... lucky female journo.
Not like anyone from Vice or BBC or other liberal channels will actually try it.

(Not to say that all schools and institutions are the same, even across countries or regions. But there's rarely a report these days that acknowledges violence against boys and men is often a foundation that leads to gender-based violence against women.)

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Allegedly, male anti-war poet Artyom Kamardin raped during Russian detention:

www.amnesty.org...

Not exactly new, rape and sexual violence experienced by boys and men is only slightly less than that of females in war-zones.
Although the UN hasn't been very interested.

Mainly because they have member countries that are extremely homophobic, and they won't even admit that gay people exist, much less that some of their armies can commit same-sex rape on command as torture.

But it's an open secret, they rape men and boys, and it's a major unspoken fear in war-zones.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

If I remember correctly, however, she was a Libertarian, and rejected some/much of the liberal platform.

I think your right about her being Libertarian but that was only after her experience and her writing the book.

and I agree yes it was a Very fascinating story and I'm taken aback by the fact that she is completely ignored by the Feminist she sacrificed so much for.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow
a reply to: Boadicea

I think your right about her being Libertarian but that was only after her experience and her writing the book.

That would make sense. I saw the interview after this experience/book, so at that time she would have been a Libertarian.

and I agree yes it was a Very fascinating story and I'm taken aback by the fact that she is completely ignored by the Feminist she sacrificed so much for.

That doesn't surprise me. At least not now. For the last few years I've visited feminist websites regularly to keep up with the trans agenda news. I was surprised at first how many different varieties of feminists there are, and how quickly and easily they threw each other (and other women in general) under the bus. I found it's capital "F" Feminists who are most likely to tell other women they aren't woman-ing right with the utmost contempt and scorn. It's not all reserved for men.

top topics

join