It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine wants in response fast track NATO membership - yay or nay-

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

Not going to give up on a country in which the majority wants to be European.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: theatreboy

Fear doesn't help you make good decisions.
Appeasement ain't working.

Those are facts.

No one is deciding based on appeasement or fear, but on forward-looking ability to foresee consequences to strategy

You don't just jump in because of your revenge for Hillary emotions like a naive fool against a nuclear armed adversary and just think " it will all just work out" on account of "because"

You use logic, reason and accountability

The Cold War strategy worked with ZERO war and ZERO dead
Proven to work
Use THAT.
edit on 30-9-2022 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lazarus Short
a reply to: Peeple

That will not happen. The people have spoken, and those areas are now part of Mother Russia. Ukraine started this whole thing in 2014. They sowed to the wind. Now they are reaping the whirlwind, and deserve to.

Russia rolled in with a specialops command without insignia and made sure Ukraine had to fight.
Perspective matters.
Always at least two sides of a story.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   

No. I am not suggesting aggressive maneuver. Just equal measures.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 10:39 AM
link   

a reply to: CriticalStinker

Majority vote. Let's settle it yesterday.

Wouldn’t even make it to a vote. Merely fan fiction.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Are you the reality police? A girl can dream, right?
It would be crazy funny. I would love to see the look on Putin's face.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Not going to give up on a country in which the majority wants to be European.

Well then, when are you leaving for Ukraine to fight there yourself ?
WHEN ?
Oh, right
You want OTHER people to go there to die

Well good thing you were not in power during the Cuban missile crisis or during the cold war.
Nuclear war would long ago have happened with massive devastation

Bravo !!

Using the long game strategy of the Cold War WORKED

Keep right along with your emotive logic-free, strategy-free drivel
Putting you in charge would be like giving a loaded automatic weapon to a 4 year old in a room packed with people.

Waahhhhhhh. I wanna...........

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 10:48 AM
link   

No. I want nobody to die. We can make a referendum in Ukraine If they really want temporary NATO peacekeeping protection.
It will only escalate if Russia doesn't stop violence and won't retreat.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

How are we supposed to know what the people in those areas want? Russia has not allowed them to vote.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
YES!!!!

Putin and all the old-world conqueror types need to be stopped.

So youre PRO ww3 now?

Do you have any idea what this would throw the world in to?

Also NATO applicants cannot be accepted if they are currently in hostilities with another country

Wow its crazy to watch you leftist completely flip into blood hungry war machines

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: optimisticcontrarian

It's because we have ideals that go beyond my ass, my tribe, my turf.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Are you the reality police? A girl can dream, right?
It would be crazy funny. I would love to see the look on Putin's face.

I don’t think it would be funny, it would cause unimaginable death.

Plus the message was already sent which Sweden and Finland. They’ve historically kept distance from alliances.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I say yes to it because Ukraine was willing not to join NATO before Russia attacked, and now that Russia did it then why not since Russia is forcing their hand. Russia doesn't even want to refer to Ukraine as another country with their own language...lol

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: optimisticcontrarian

Totally agree, a Yay is going to turn a local mafia war into a full blown European conflict. There is no way Russia will accept NATO in Ukraine. I don't kniw what weapons Putin has at his disposal bar the 6,000 nukes, yet a Yay leading to NATO military in Ukraine will mean total war and probably WMD being used. It's a crazy prospect but who knows what they've got in their heads at NATO. Maybe a deal's been done alraedy behind the scenes, both sides MIC's probably want a new Cold War, a deal to split Ukraine might well be on the cards and secretly arranged already.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Yes, let them join if they want. Russia wanted to remove Ukraine from map, delete it and annex it.

I think Russia only respects power, nothing else. And any power vacuum means that their imperial mind start thinking bad things...

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 11:09 AM
link   
This is just the response to Putin's annexation BS.

Ukraine really doesn't fit some crucial requirements, but that's just me. At peace and stability used to be important IIRC

1997-2001.state.gov...

While there is no membership checklist for interested nations, NATO has made clear that candidates for membership must meet the following criteria. Interested nations must:

Uphold democracy, including tolerance for diversity;
Be progressing toward a market economy;
Have their military forces under firm civilian control;
Be good neighbors and respect the sovereignty of other nations; and
Work toward interoperability with NATO forces.
Again, while these criteria are essential, they do not constitute a checklist leading automatically to NATO membership.

New members must be invited by a consensus of current members.

Decisions to invite new members must take into account the required ratification process in the member states. In the case of the United States, decisions are made in consultation with Congress.

The key determinant for any invitation to new members is whether their admission to NATO will strengthen the Alliance and further the basic objective of NATO enlargement, which is to increase security and stability across Europe.

ukrainetoday.org...

France and Germany have in the past opposed Ukraine’s inclusion, and other European members are wary — a deal breaker for an alliance that grants membership only by unanimous consent. American and Russian leaders know this. With Russian troops amassed on Ukraine’s eastern border, some current and former American and European officials say Mr. Putin might just be raising the NATO issue as a pretext for an invasion.

Michael McFaul, a former U.S. ambassador to Russia, has suggested that Mr. Putin is trying to distract from more urgent matters. “Everybody’s talking about NATO expansion,” Mr. McFaul said on a podcast by the Center for a New American Security that was released on Tuesday. “Suddenly, we’re debating this issue that wasn’t even an issue. That’s a great advantage to him.”

Like European leaders, President Biden remains uninterested in Ukrainian membership in NATO.

edit on 30-9-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Kenzo

Exactly. If he wants to do who has the biggest balls? Fine. We got some big ones.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I'm also fine with a special peacekeeping mission.
To protect close friends. We are European, we have rights.
edit on 30-9-2022 by Peeple because: add

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 11:39 AM
link   

a reply to: Kenzo

Exactly. If he wants to do who has the biggest balls? Fine. We got some big ones.

Willingness to fight other people’s wars isn’t and shouldn’t be a metric for bravery.

I’m still a military aged male. So my rule is I won’t support any war I’m unwilling to fight in. I’m certain circumstances I’m sure I’d be willing.

But something seems messed up about having a position and letting other people fight for it instead of me.

posted on Sep, 30 2022 @ 11:42 AM
link   

a reply to: putnam6

I'm also fine with a special peacekeeping mission.
To protect close friends. We are European, we have rights.

I hear you, but from whom? United Nations peacekeeping units are usually woefully inadequate and ineffective.

I'm of the opinion the longer this goes on the more likely it spills over elsewhere, once that happens kiss potential economic recovery goodbye and extremely unstable conditions for a long time.

Either way, we are likely to see tactical nukes used and/or being drug into a meat-grinding war of attrition. Russia will absorb losses better than the west, it's their specialty.

Even if we somehow get Russia to leave and Ukraine "wins" there will not be peace there for a long time, too much bad blood.

Sure we would likely "win" but most times it's better for a country to go to war when it's closer to a consensus publicly

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join