It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet More Systematic Institutional Abuse In The UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 08:42 AM
link   
BBC's Panorama are showing an expose on yet more insitutional abuse. This time, it is in a mental health unit where people are being bullied, abused, humiliated and treated like sub humans. I am doing my best to not post my emotions on this subject. I have been in places like these, and fortunately I wasn't mistreated. Those who do abuse vulnerable patients are as low as child abusers, and should be reviled by society equally as much.

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 28/9/2022 by MetalChickAmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: MetalChickAmy

That's really sad....the entire staff should be admitted for evaluation and long term care. I hope they bar them from ever working in the helathcare field again.

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Then they'll call them crazy if they try to tell these "little stories". This is absolutely torture!

Look at all the corona lies??? look at the pharama companies getting away with murder? its just abuse of trust, abuse of their position.

How are you supposed to fix this???? You're going to the very people who do this for a fix????? Do they want everyone to just be automatons, constantly being watched cause they cant be trusted????? How the hell is locking someone in a room going to make them want to live?????

# that. These people who did this need to be in jail for life. This is inexcusable, they are evil and they have proven it with their actions. Why would they ever stop if the punishment is a slap on the wrist???

All the "oversight committees" deem it as "good" and "acceptable" until what really happens is exposed.

They just take peoples money and do this???? Give the least amount of care for the least amount of money then skim the rest of the budget for the "big wigs"?????? Oh what do they need more money now? that the solution is it??? More laws is it???? Theres already ways to deal with this and its just not being done.

This is a complete disgrace.
edit on 28-9-2022 by thethinkingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 09:30 AM
link   

As a parent of an autistic chid, I will do everything I can for all my remaining days to prevent my child from ever being put into a mental health institue, Edenfield is not at all far from my neck of the woods, looks terrifying.

I studied GCSE law (yeah I didnt pass) one comment from my teacher has always stuck with me, if you are guilty of a crime pleading insanity may prevent you going to prison BUT getting out of a mental institute will take longer and be more difficult than any prison.

There are unfortunatly many many other reports on the Beeb if you click mental health tab at the bottom of the article linked.

Better pay needed, better working conditions needed as any staff undertaking such a vocation needs to be treated with respect by their employers, which will encourage the staff to be committed to giving the respect to each and every patient they care for.

The pain and anguish that those with mental health are subjected to is not right and is completly unjust. Anyone born with a disability whether mental or physical deserves that society as a whole is supportive and not destructive towards them.

People often claim the world is about to end/reset, well to me this is evidence we have nothing to be proud of in the first place. In a world overflowing with wealth to the few (MZ,JB, BG et al) this is how our least able are treated, all while some sit atop golden toilets and private jets....GET F####D!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I just finished reading this article from another news aggregate as part of my morning wake up routine.

Absolutely reprehensive behaviour on the part of the staff.

It's hard enough dealing with Mental Illness in the first place, adding an abusive environment on top of that is just Hell.

I hope these "caregivers" are investigated and punished appropriately, and banned from worthing in healthcare.

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 10:01 AM
link   
said we'd be back to the 70s mental health and health scandals

the sad part is where you see trans activists going after professors and suggesting the damage the mental health of students and not the NHS mental health service that is accused of letting hundreds of mental health patients die..

I makes me wonder what some activists really care about...

the clearest example I've seen (as its local) is the Uni of Sussex and professor stock case vs the hundreds of deaths in care of east Sussex NHS trust..

Inquiry sought into deaths of 369 mental distress patients in Sussex Trust’s care

Kathleen Stock says she quit university post over ‘medieval’ ostracism

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

sadly it looks back to the 70s.. for the UK the scandals where very widespread.. not least putting cigarettes out on patients slamming their genitals in doors etc..

its sad to think we've not progressed beyond abusing societies most vulnerable..

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Expose...

Loads of "nutters" have been saying the same thing about the same hospitals for years. I'm glad awareness is being raised though, luckily I've never visited a place like that... Yet!

I'd like to say the NHS "one of us" culture has something to do with it but such abuse happens at ever encroaching privatised clinics, I'm not sure what this site is. Seems fully NHS, maybe all medium/high care is idk.

Being around so much trauma can have an affect on people, thats in no way to excuse systematic abuse but it might go some way in explaining it. Because let's face it, the abuse is happening in mental health clinics, foster care... Churches. Places where people are needy and it's probably easier to get away with abuse.

I'm just doubtful most abusers seek out to abuse. Genuinely sad stuff really... I mean it's care work, something goes wrong obviously.

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 10:24 AM
link   
If you care about money more than people.....thats not care.

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: nickyw

Health care for the mentally ill has always been riddled with contraversies and abuse throughout History.

We learned in class that there was a period in time where they would allow curiousity seekers to view the patients for a small fee, and back in those times the treatment was sometimes brutal and medival in nature.

In recent times we have the infamous Bedlam which spawned the use of the word "bedlam" to describe absolute chaos.

I'm schizophrenic and have been in over twenty different American Institutions, and am fortunate to have never bore witness to abuses like we are hearing about. The worst abuses I ever endured were over a misunderstanding that got me taken to a County Jail instead of a treatment facility, where I was kept in a rubber confinement cell for two months with no restroom facilities and no running water, no blanket and an overhead florescent light 24/7 before they finally were able to transfer me to a proper inpatient facility and the dropped the charges I was in for originally.

I suffered PTSD from that experience for over a decade, and still have flashbacks on occassion from it, but I managed to survive. Many people commit suicide or else never recover from institutional abuses, and I can't tell you the number of horror stories I've heard over the years from folks who have been institutionalized for minor conditions and slipups.

I worry about those who are institutionalized for life, because without regular walkthroughs and inspections their plights and stories would never be heard and the world would walk on unaware of the abuses being endured by some of the most vulnerable people out there.

It's not an easy job working with chronic cases, but Sadistic people with no oversight have no place within the institution at all as far as I am concerned.

edit on 9/28/22 by GENERAL EYES because: spelling

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I spent a month in one of these places when I was twenty and it was eye opening.

Where I was was pretty low key, not a lot of security during the day and the staff were nice to me except for the psychiatrist. There was a schizophrenic man in there who was routinely put in a padded room for refusing meds and they even brought in the RCMP to restrain him while the staff gave him the shots. I'm not sure but this might be allowed if the law had mandated the meds due to a court case but he hated the meds and I never once saw him act out over anything else but the meds.

This same guy would arrange with the hospital kitchen to bring him the ingredients to make apple crisp in the ward's kitchen. I talked with him lots and he was never anything but intelligent and gentleman to people, baking desserts for all. He really didn't even sound crazy. He did tell me he was in a children's home where the psychiatrist was part of the staff and to be careful, so I think the punishments were a personal attack on him.

The psychiatrist followed the old idea that everyone had been sexually abused with repressed memories which was a trend here in canada at the time. He twisted my saying I was always in conflict with my dad into this evil. It 100% was NOT and my arguments with my dad were almost always, and still are, political.

I rebelled over what I saw as his old fashioned, repressive ways. He's also the least sexual human I've ever met, lost in a world of fish and fishing. My mother has told me that on their honeymoon she awoke to find him gone, bed cold, only to be found outside practicing fly casting because the hotel had such a huge lawn. She resigned herself that day to the fact that she was to be his second love. Anyhow, the psychiatrist went over my protests that he was on the wrong track, and the fact I was an adult, and spoke to my mom about it. She was horrified and has kept it from my dad all these years and kept a hate for me that knows no end claiming that I tried to ruin my family. All over an abusive "professional"

The video was heart breaking to see. Nothing has changed and now with short staffing, improper staffing, it will be all the worse for the inmates. The worst part is no one believes what they say as society sums up mental illness with complete incapability, even for telling the truth. Complaints will be seen as part of the illness. I'm glad in this case families are getting to see an inside view when staff think no one is looking.

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo

I have problems with my antipsychotic meds sometimes. I can see why the gentleman in your story would kick up a fuss.

I am currently waiting on a callback from the nurses at the outpatient facility I am part of to see if I can get permission to only take them if my psychosis gets to uncomfortable levels.

It took me four hours this morning before I could function because the meds hit so hard.

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Absolutely disgraceful.
Those guilty should be banged up with all the nonces and other low lives.

No excuses at all.

Thing is; most of these institutions are well ran with conscientious staff who try their best in trying circumstances.
Every time one of these stories break - and I'm NOT advocating not reporting it - it colours public perception of what all these places are like.
As a result people are reluctant to send family and loved one's to these sort of homes etc and they despite their families best efforts the people in need of help don't receive it.

And then decent, honest people choose not to seek employment in this field for fear of being tarred with the same brush and thus its just the scrotes and scumbags who end up working there.....a vicious circle.

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: nickyw
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

sadly it looks back to the 70s.. for the UK the scandals where very widespread.. not least putting cigarettes out on patients slamming their genitals in doors etc..

its sad to think we've not progressed beyond abusing societies most vulnerable..
Take away peoples basic needs, and watch real human nature appear out of nowhere. People underneath are mostly very primitive and very self-centered.
Here in this facility it just happens to be out in the open to see.

top topics

join