It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Ian could bring significant flooding to Florida

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 12:01 PM
link   
www.trackthetropics.com...

This site has everything.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

I'm down in Naples and on a canal as well. If you need me to go check on your condo or Sister let me know in a pm , and I will see what I can do under the circumstances ofcourse.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

That is so generous of you to offer. I appreciate it. Let's hope it's not as bad as it is looking. Keep us updated on you, if you can do so safely.

ETA: I'll keep you in mind as someone to meet up for some alcohol and arguing politics in person when I'm down there. Love Naples.
edit on 27-9-2022 by frogs453 because: Add

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 12:31 PM
link   
My friend and his wife will probably be arriving at MCO in a few hours to return home after three weeks holiday in Florida, they couldn’t have timed it better.

I hope the predictions are wrong, that it calms down and that everyone there stays safe.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: RonnieJersey

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: RonnieJersey

I remember having 3ft of water in my backyard from Floyd.

Then having no electricity or hot water for a week after Sandy.

Up here in northern NJ we were hammered by Floyd, my husband and I were in the process of moving and had put furniture and clothing, etc. in a storage unit, along with my book collection (some of which was valuable), when Floyd hit and we lost everything in storage. That was 1999.
2011 was Hurricane Irene, we lost our vehicle and everything in the basement, 8 feet of water.
2012 was Sandy, we were standing on the sidewalk in front of the house and saw the tidal wave coming down the street in our direction.

Yikes.
I was in PA a little north of Philly for Floyd and Sandy.
We didn't have any property damage, got pretty lucky. I was in high school for Floyd.

Then I was home on leave staying at my brother's place when Sandy came through. I had to stop at hotel a little north of DC to shower, shave, and iron uniforms before checking in to my next unit.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 02:22 PM
link   
What I like most about this thread is no matter what is said, debated or inferred in some forums everyone in here is looking out for each other no matter the side of the aisle.

Good luck to anyone riding this out in FL....not looking forward to this one.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Helping my small village in their relief effort, anticipating the worst. Clothes, Blankets, sleeping bags, food and money.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Even President Biden is staying out of the way to let Florida governor Ron Desantis handle things his way.

townhall.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

At last report it makes landfall South of the Tampa Area and North of Ft. Myers tomorrow evening. Winds expected 125 MPH at landfall near eye.

It won't be the worst but 2ft of rain forecasts are concerning.

Talking with a family member in Sarasota through messages and their home isn't in a mandatory evacuation zone. Not even scared. Expects to escape the really damaging winds and storm surge. 42 feet above sea level. Said there's gonna be a lot of trees coming down. And his generator will be used for an unknown amount of time. Most worried about it slowing after landfall and dumping more than 2 feet of rain.

Random thought: Ian is a Gaelic word that means God Is Gracious. This will likely be the last time that name is used. There will be billions in flood damage from this and the name will be retired.
edit on 27-9-2022 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Definitely keeping an eye peeled closely for what Charley 2.0 here does (gonna honor John Winters with a Right Hook Redux?) Igrew up in that whole area, got friends & family still in Pinellas, Hillsborough, Manatee, Sarasota & Charlotte counties (also know folks in DeSoto, family of friends)

Everyone who could afford to book it outta there has, and everyone cash-trapped into hunkering, is finalizing yheir hunkering degrees.

This one's got everyone's attention, its been a long, long damn time since a Tampa-area landfall like this.

Edit: just keping tabs from way up in MI. And hey, Mother Nature, be kind to the Ringling grounds, ok? I like that place, used to host the medieval fair eons ago...
edit on 9/27/2022 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 03:40 PM
link   
ever been to tampa bay area its about 5 feet at best above the water level and last I heard before it strengthened they were predicting 11 foot storm surge, yea down town is going to be flooded.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Definitely keeping an eye peeled closely for what Charley 2.0 here does (gonna honor John Winters with a Right Hook Redux?) Igrew up in that whole area, got friends & family still in Pinellas, Hillsborough, Manatee, Sarasota & Charlotte counties (also know folks in DeSoto, family of friends)

Everyone who could afford to book it outta there has, and everyone cash-trapped into hunkering, is finalizing yheir hunkering degrees.

This one's got everyone's attention, its been a long, long damn time since a Tampa-area landfall like this.

Edit: just keping tabs from way up in MI. And hey, Mother Nature, be kind to the Ringling grounds, ok? I like that place, used to host the medieval fair eons ago...

Eerily close to Charley's track, 18 years ago but Ian looks to be a bit stronger with a larger wind field

and this unnamed storm in 1944

edit on 27-9-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I blame my husband. He was supposed to travel there on business this week.

The last time he was supposed to travel on business? To Germany. Right before the globe locked down due to COVID.

Needless to say, he's not there. His trip was postponed until January. I wonder what new disaster horror awaits us then.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 08:14 PM
link   
If Central Florida gets 12-14 hours of even TS force winds you are going to have a lot of trees down and a lot of power outages. We are also pretty saturated in some parts so we will have flooding since we are looking at 10-12 inches.

The eye is going to cross my house now (I live inland now) but glad family on St Pete Beach will not get the brunt. Looks like the Tocobagan tribe has protected them again.

The worst part about these is the wait...

edit on Seppm30pmf0000002022-09-27T20:15:14-05:000814 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 08:16 PM
link   
family in Pasco county are looking at 28 inches of raini, yea they are going to be flooded.

Thankfully my dad built the house and built up the land before building the house, but 28 inches is a lot, on top of all the rain they got recently.

ETA: main road (not 54) into town is a dried up river bed and a lot of houses are in it.
edit on 27-9-2022 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I have a coworker who has a sister who is being kept from evacuating as part of the emergency response team. She works in medical, so she'll be riding it out in a hospital down in St. Petersburg. She was allowed to bring her kid and dog in too.

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Yes, Ian is very similar to Charley in track. And as you pointed out, Charley was smaller. Much smaller according to this historical description..

....increased to 145 m.p.h. - category 4 strength. Charley made landfall with maximum winds near 150 m.p.h. on the southwest coast of Florida just north of Captiva Island around 3:45 pm. An hour later, Charley's eye passed over Punta Gorda. The hurricane then crossed central Florida, passing near Kissimmee and Orlando. Charley was still of hurricane intensity around midnight when its center cleared the northeast coast of Florida near Daytona Beach. After moving into the Atlantic, Charley came ashore again near Cape Romain, South Carolina near midday on the 14th as a category 1 hurricane. The center then moved just offshore before making a final landfall at North Myrtle Beach. Charley soon weakened to a tropical storm over southeastern North Carolina and became extratropical on the 15th as it moved back over water near Virginia Beach.

Although ferocious, Charley was a very small hurricane at its Florida landfall, with its maximum winds and storm surge located only about 6-7 miles from the center. This helped minimize the extent and amplitude of the storm surge, which likely did not exceed 7 feet. However, the hurricane's violent winds devastated Punta Gorda and neighboring Port Charlotte. Rainfall amounts were generally modest, less than 8 inches. Charley also produced 16 tornadoes in Florida, North Carolina and Virginia.

The total U. S. damage is estimated to be near $15 billion, making Charley the second costliest hurricane in U.S. history.
For More, See Charley 2004: www.nhc.noaa.gov...

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Max sustained: 155 mph

absolutely insane eyewall lightning

...IAN RAPIDLY INTENSIFYING... ...CONDITIONS RAPIDLY DETERIORATING ALONG THE SOUTHWEST FLORIDA COAST...

Recent data from a NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate
that maximum sustained winds have increased to near 155 mph (250
km/h). A special advisory will be issued by 7 AM EDT (1100 UTC) to
reflect this change and update the forecast.

6:35 AM EDT Wed Sep 28
Moving: NNE at 10 mph
Min pressure: 936 mb
Max sustained: 155 mph

edit on 28-9-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 06:45 AM
link   
We're between Jacksonville and Daytona Beach.
It's raining here now.
We're expecting heavy rains and winds around 11-12, today.
Today will be scary...tomorrow will be worse.
We'll probably lose power in the next two days.

posted on Sep, 28 2022 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
We're between Jacksonville and Daytona Beach.
It's raining here now.
We're expecting heavy rains and winds around 11-12, today.
Today will be scary...tomorrow will be worse.
We'll probably lose power in the next two days.

Love that area of Florida and know it fairly well St. Augustine, Crescent Beach is our favorite spot.

Just the potential rain alone isn't St John's closed to maxed as it is, but I can't recall a storm crossing the peninsula and coming out so strongly, Some models have it meandering and getting a 2nd landfall in Savannah

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join