It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AI art - Midjourney

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2022 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Midjourney is the name of this AI art bot on Discord. Once you join the server it allows you to type in text prompts describing what the AI bot is to render, with some surprisingly good results. For example you could type in something like 'a kitten with zebra stripes on its body,with 3 eyes, inside a giant ice cube' and Midjourney will attempt to produce just that. It will render 4 small basic images which can be refined by clicking U1 to U4 to upscale one of the images to provide a lager, better quality picture (max size is 1664x1664 pixels) or clicking V1 to V4 to produce a variation of the smaller image. Once you are happy with the final results simply right click on the picture, select open in new tab/window and download.

You can make the first 25 images for free. After that there is a basic monthly subscription plan for creating up to 200 images.

There is a learning curve to Midjourney. Inputting more detail into the text prompt, and in which order the words are listed, will result in a more customized output. You can specify style of art or artist, type of art medium, light volume, image weight and lots more. A handy starting point for customizing text prompts is this website PromptoMANIA and from official documentation midjourney.gitbook.io...

Here are thumbnail screenshots of the illustrations I have made using Midjourney.

Overall I think Midjourney is a useful tool for realizing artistic concepts. For me I would still need to use Photoshop to make further edits and clean up the image in general.

Will it replace the need to hire real artists in the job market is the hot topic and currently I would say not at the moment. Midjourney is still in the Beta testing stage and even though more experienced users can produce some fantastic results it remains solely in the digital arena. AI art does not have the capability to read human emotions and create demanded art based on social norms. Consciousness and human emotion is why AI will never match human creativity.

Search results on AI vs human art.

Official Midjourney site.

edit on 24-9-2022 by Tindalos2013 because: word spacing.

edit on 24-9-2022 by Tindalos2013 because: Broken link.

posted on Sep, 24 2022 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Tindalos2013
It's so much fun!

Here is what I got for describing my avatar!

posted on Sep, 24 2022 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Have been playing around with it for quite some time. AI generated visual arts will improve things a tool.
There is Stable Diffusion also, that has it's perk that you can run it locally if you have at least 4GB VRAM. With some extra filters it can create stunning realism realism, like people who are indistinguishable from real people.
In GitHub there is a good version of it with the easiest install if anyone wanna try it out on their comp: cmdr2/stable-diffusion-ui

posted on Sep, 24 2022 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I was just talking about this with my artist friend who's an old school PC artist like myself.
He's trying to get me interested in using oculus as a dev tool on discord, and he uses AI to flush out lots of concept art without having to put tons of effort in. Lately the trend seems to be smaller dev teams creating content faster, and this kind of tool makes sense.

As an artist, yes I'd be lying if I wasn't somewhat worried many human roles will get replaced by machines. Almost every IT gig I've ever had has asked me how to automate my job in some way, in fact many of the roles I did back then are no longer.

I'm sure I'll give this AI tool a try for a few things. I will try my hardest to have few expectations, that way I might be pleasantly surprised.

posted on Sep, 24 2022 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I really don't know how I feel about this or what to say about it other than its pretty cool. I think the real artist isn't the AI but the AI's creator but I will digress from there.

posted on Sep, 24 2022 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Had similar thoughts about that. Can it be called art when it's done with automatic processes? But then I know, I could never come up with the avatar I currently have, because I lack the skills.

I think it enables people like me that are not capable of art on that level, like you, to have fun and joy with art (again, is it?). Personally I came to the conclusion that when it enables and encourages others to dabble with art, then it has it's place and it's a good thing. Once can be artistic with this thing, as it has been said before, it makes huge differences on how you setup the thing. Not a hard thing to to but it's being a bit artistic.

This reminds me of giving credit to the people that enabled me to do this in my signature though. The downside is, learning the real process when someone would have talent, is not encouraged.

posted on Sep, 25 2022 @ 12:23 AM
link   
As already mentioned you can use Stable Diffusion for free and it's pretty good (but requires some technical skill). I used it to generate the following images just yesterday. The first image was generated using "top secret schematic" as the prompt. Even though it's complete gibberish I really like the art style of it. The other image shows a few different variations for the same prompt, which was something like "Zark, the free spirited hero of an epic space opera called Cosmic Void". Zark is the main character for a story I'm writing, you can see my own drawing of Zark here if you're interested how I imagine him to look. I was impressed it actually managed to write the word Zark properly in one of the images.

edit on 25/9/2022 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2022 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Btw I watched a good video the other day about how to use Stable Diffusion within Blender which might be a better option for people who already know how to use Blender. It's funny how I wrote a thread only a month ago about using AI to generate textures and other assets for games in order to speed up game development, and now I'm already seeing a bunch of people doing it.

posted on Sep, 25 2022 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDDAgain

Had similar thoughts about that. Can it be called art when it's done with automatic processes? But then I know, I could never come up with the avatar I currently have, because I lack the skills.

I think it enables people like me that are not capable of art on that level, like you, to have fun and joy with art (again, is it?). Personally I came to the conclusion that when it enables and encourages others to dabble with art, then it has it's place and it's a good thing. Once can be artistic with this thing, as it has been said before, it makes huge differences on how you setup the thing. Not a hard thing to to but it's being a bit artistic.

This reminds me of giving credit to the people that enabled me to do this in my signature though. The downside is, learning the real process when someone would have talent, is not encouraged.

I don't know, you know so little about me, and I know so little about you. Like I said the person that created this AI is the artist their robot doesn't have a reason to make other then it was told to. Will you accept the next Motzart if it was a machine?

posted on Sep, 25 2022 @ 04:27 AM
link   

I already know that music is mathematics. A complicated set of frequencies in harmony with each other and over the correspondence of time, so yes, I would acknowledge.

But it would not be the same as music made from actual instruments that humans together, in synchronity, in an effort to play a masterpiece that has been put together by a human brain.

In the end the computer does the same as the human, just faster but lacking the emotional aspect.

posted on Sep, 25 2022 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

without emotions the world is black and white, emotions are the array of color in the human experience, without them we wouldn't be able to be moved by something profound.

posted on Sep, 26 2022 @ 11:58 AM
link   

without them we wouldn't be able to be moved by something profound.

Not entire sure about that. I hear a lot of progtrance and GOA that is made synthetic and I have heard fully computer generated tracks that gave me the shivers. True, these computer generated tracks orientate themselves on human made music/art, using the patterns aligned on 7.1 or 5.1 tracks that give me a whole new experience of my synesthesia. Colors and shape everywhere, in 3D an aligned with each other.

I agree with you that art is also emotion. But for the viewer, does it really make a different looking at something and know it was human made or not? And by whom? The act of creation that is accompanied by emotions, spirituality, fantasy and virtue is mostly helping the creator, not the viewers.

If someone didn't knew my avatar was 100% computer generated, one could marvel how the kneeing person is in focus and the seemingly older, bigger person is blurred because focus is on learning (the books) and the fog represents the unknown that the kneeing person is looking towards. A unknowness that the other person already passed by experience.

Is that what the artist thought maybe? But it was computer generated. Anyone not knowing this, would maybe start thinking in depth about the meaning, when it had zero meaning to the machine that created it.

For example your comics, drawings and paintings. That one painting with the peach halves (I think it was peaches) looks amazing and speaks to me. Would it do the same if I didn't knew it was you who painted it or painted by a machine? I am not sure, I think it would not. Is it because I know you a tiny tiny bit? So when I look at it, I not only see the painting but also parts of the artist? I do not have an answer, but it feels like it does. This contradicts what I wrote before in a way.

But then there is this, where a guy destroys a self made chair because it was too perfect. It looked machine made. And I get the sentiment.

youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Computers don't have emotion therefore it means nothing to them. You on the other hand...

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Bill Gates Eating An Aborted Fetus.

You're welcome.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Mike Tyson Eating a Pigeon

posted on Sep, 29 2022 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

What about Klaus swchab taking a covid vaccine injection?

Back in the day Hustler magazine used to have something like this more or less called “ what would so and so look like with a # in their mouth”
edit on bThu, 29 Sep 2022 02:27:48 -050020223002America/ChicagoThu, 29 Sep 2022 02:27:48 -050009am9 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Who wants to start a hoax with AI??? LOL 🤣🤣

posted on Dec, 4 2022 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Funny, here's a real example of someone using AI art to create a hoax.

Youtube Video - Unexplained Mysteries:
This Man Found An Explorers Old Photo Album That Reveals What He Encountered Hidden In The Jungle

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Yes, this is a brilliant tool and fun to use...

posted on Feb, 5 2023 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

without emotions the world is black and white, emotions are the array of color in the human experience, without them we wouldn't be able to be moved by something profound.

Midjourney is learning to match its images to emotions because it gets to read what human emotions are being used in the prompting text.

Clever way to teach emotion to an A.I.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join