It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about frozen bananas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Enough with the questions of the existence of UFOs, cryptids, and the paranormal, as well as the politics and wars.

A question about frozen bananas. I've been freezing bananas for weeks now, it's my go-to breakfast, a little honey, and a little cinnamon.

So

I pull two bananas from the same bunch peel and slice them up, and their color and freshness look the same. I then put all slices in the same baggie and a couple of days later some of the slices are perfectly fine while the others are frozen but brown. Yuck, frozen yuck covered them with extra honey and sugar

I know they are still fine to eat, well if it isn't it is too late now, but they tasted fine but why the difference? I thought all bananas in a bunch ripened at approximately the same time.
edit on 16-9-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

The inner bananas ripen much slow because they aren't exposed to a certain chemical floating around in the air that turns them brown.

If you want to freeze them, get slightly unripe ones, slice them up spread out on a cookie sheet, freeze them, then bag them.
edit on 16-9-2022 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Freeze them while with the peel on.
Take one out, slice the amount you want off with the peel still on. Pop the peels off the slices and use them bag the unused portion, if any and put it back in the freezer.

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

NOOOO!!!!

I love to freeze the ones that are brown, even bordering on going bad. They are much sweeter.

The color of a bandana is never actually an issue - unless it's gone spoiled and it's leaking liquid. The ripening makes them sweeter.

My wife keeps bananas on hand, but she's one of those weirdos (like some here) who prefers her bananas almost green. When one starts to turn, I get it. I cut it up and freeze it, then blend it in milk for s liquidado, make banana juice (blend with orange juice and a bit of water), or make banana ice cream (blend chopped frozen bananas with a tiny bit of milk and flavoring of choice).

Those brown bananas were the GOOD ones friend, the ones that had gone sweeter. EAT 'EM!

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies I got my Friday question answered, and I'm ready for the weekend

I probably try both methods soon, just weird that Ive never had this happen and I do a bag about every few days.

Not gonna lie I thought about freezing the whole banana peeled but wasn't sure if it would peel easily or cut easily frozen.

I will definitely use the tray method when I try frozen dark chocolate-covered bananas with crushed almonds. Till then I do see the advantages and a couple of plastic plates should do the trick,

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I forgot that. We also usually lay them out on a plastic plates or a cookie sheet to freeze, then drop them into a bag to store.

Nutmeg goes incredibly well with bananas, BTW.

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
a reply to: strongfp

NOOOO!!!!

I love to freeze the ones that are brown, even bordering on going bad. They are much sweeter.

The color of a bandana is never actually an issue - unless it's gone spoiled and it's leaking liquid. The ripening makes them sweeter.

My wife keeps bananas on hand, but she's one of those weirdos (like some here) who prefers her bananas almost green. When one starts to turn, I get it. I cut it up and freeze it, then blend it in milk for s liquidado, make banana juice (blend with orange juice and a bit of water), or make banana ice cream (blend chopped frozen bananas with a tiny bit of milk and flavoring of choice).

Those brown bananas were the GOOD ones friend, the ones that had gone sweeter. EAT 'EM!

Respectfully I agree with your wife

FWIW I really don't have a sweet tooth as much anymore, my breakfast of "nanners", as we used to call them, is just a quick easy breakfast and it's a good source of potassium in a form I can easily digest.

Even the dark chocolate banana recipe I'm gonna use just uses a tablespoon of raw honey, cocoa powder, and coconut oil, tastes fine as a dipping sauce Ive just never frozen it before

www.9010nutrition.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

I forgot that. We also usually lay them out on a plastic plates or a cookie sheet to freeze, then drop them into a bag to store.

Nutmeg goes incredibly well with bananas, BTW.

Damn, I love nutmeg, forgot about that and it's good for you, need to add that to my breakfast tomorrow.

It would probably be better if I sliced a batch up sprinkled them with cinnamon and nutmeg and froze them all together.

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

You can enjoy your bananas however you'd like. I was just giving the optimal ripeness for freezing bananas and keeping their texture.
If you use a slightly unripe banana, by time you open the bananas, cut them up, handle them, freeze them, they'll be just right.

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Brown bananas make the best banana bread.

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv
My Great Aunt always ate her bananas like that. She preferred them when the skin started bruising, at that point they are perfect.
You are absolutely right, they are beautifully sweet and all mashed up they make a great banana sandwich.
By the way, did you know bananas are actually a herb not a fruit?
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 12:12 PM
link   
IN some parts of the world they eat all the banana, peel as well. Kevin likes bananas.

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 01:13 PM
link   
When my extra bananas are ripe, and I don't want them to ripen any further, I peel them, and place them, whole, on a cookie sheet, and into the deep freezer set subzero. Within a couple days, I take them off the tray and put them into a gallon zip loc bag. When my grandkids come over, they always ask if I have any frozen bananas. I get them out one at a time, wrap the lower portion in a paper towel to them to hold onto. They eat the frozen bananas like an ice cream on a stick. Its a special treat to them. I also throw them into the blender with a little peanut butter and some coconut water for a special smoothie

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
When my extra bananas are ripe, and I don't want them to ripen any further, I peel them, and place them, whole, on a cookie sheet, and into the deep freezer set subzero. Within a couple days, I take them off the tray and put them into a gallon zip loc bag. When my grandkids come over, they always ask if I have any frozen bananas. I get them out one at a time, wrap the lower portion in a paper towel to them to hold onto. They eat the frozen bananas like an ice cream on a stick. Its a special treat to them. I also throw them into the blender with a little peanut butter and some coconut water for a special smoothie

Yep, we go through bananas pretty fast but that is what I ought to do, frozen with the right additions they can be a damn good desert substitute for sure.

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 10:28 PM
link   
They stay white too. I checked the bunch I froze a couple weeks ago. They look just like when I froze them.

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 10:41 PM
link   
We used to freeze bananas for banana bread, they get brown but do work good in banana bread. Most of the bananas we froze were kind of more brownish peeled before we peeled them and froze them and I think the enzymes still are active from fully ripe bananas somewhat in the freezer. If you freeze green beans you have to blanch them before freezing to stop the enzymes from deteriorating the taste and texture, I don't think you can boil a banana, but you might be able to zap it in the microwave possibly before freezing. At least they will all be the same color when you take them out of the plastic bag.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

The inner bananas ripen much slow because they aren't exposed to a certain chemical floating around in the air that turns them brown.

If you want to freeze them, get slightly unripe ones, slice them up spread out on a cookie sheet, freeze them, then bag them.

and seal the bag well.

like cryo vac.

the brown is just oxidation like when apples turn brown.

you have too many in one bag, one layer at a time in the freezer is best. back in the freezer frozen.

i used them for a smoothie base. mango too.

try this with banana, lassi.

you can use your cin instead of cardamom.

i'd still do it but i'm into something else and no space in the freezer.

edit on 03/22/2022 by sarahvital because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
IN some parts of the world they eat all the banana, peel as well. Kevin likes bananas.

lol,

in some parts of the world they eat people too.

kevin, that little scamp

i hope he shares with stuart and bob.

top topics

join