It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study further reveals gut microbiome association with multiple schlerosis.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Intestinal bacteria have been linked in recent years to a variety of non-digestive illnesses, such as diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis. The linked study found that multiple sclerosis patients' gut bacterial compositions differ significantly from those of healthy people as do those of MS patients who are taking various pharmacological therapies.

In the study, variations in the gut microbiota profiles of 576 patients and an equivalent number of household controls from the US, UK, Spain, and Argentina are described. The majority of these modifications are being reported for the first time; however, others have already been noted. The team also discovered brand-new processes through which these bacteria may possibly affect the onset of illness and how well a therapy works.

The research team confirmed some bacterial species that had previously only been linked with MS and found hundreds of new bacterial species linked to MS. Additionally, they discovered that the participants' geographic location was the main contributor to the variance in bacteria species, supporting the significance of geography and regional dietary variations for the gut microbiome.

Some of the bacteria the scientists discovered to be linked to MS appear to assist humans in breaking down plant fiber, which tends to produce byproducts that are more prevalent in MS patients. Increased inflammation and impairment of the cell's mitochondria appear to be impacted by some of the other species the team found. The study also found that those treated with interferon beta-1a show concentrations of short-chain fatty acids which are anti-inflammatories, in their feces and higher concentrations in their blood.

We observed a significantly increased proportion of Akkermansia muciniphila, Ruthenibacterium lactatiformans, Hungatella hathewayi, and Eisenbergiella tayi and decreased Faecalibacterium prausnitzii and Blautia species.

Link to the study.

Article about the study.

If you'd like to view the datasets, etc

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

Ironic as the new fat is beautiful has been trending. Seems like more of what most of us have known for some time now.

Spine alignment and health has always been linked to nuron flow as well as digestion. This study connects a missing link that was once only a theory.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: randomthoughts12

I'll be posting another thread on gut bacteria in a few minutes. It is related more to obesity than this thread.

The study in this thread made some unexpected associations between bacteria that help digest plants and multiple sclerosis.
edit on 15 9 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 11:05 PM
link   
So, some of the microbes they say we need to break down plant fiber in cultures in probiotics could be possibly increasing risk?

I can't metabolize fiber well, and I seem to not support the bacteria well that can help. So most of my veggies are well cooked. I also have a deficiency in metabolizing sucrose and mannose genetically from running my genes in a genetic app, so it causes some metabolic issues if I eat sugar or bread and many plants and fruits unless I take certain enzymes. Cooking veggies helps and limiting certain carbs does help a lot, and with the enzyme that breaks apart the fructose and glucose bond in sucrose, I only have a little activity from microbes...but I did a cleanse and then had problems with the probiotics...guess my immune system attacks some of those probiotics and that probably has a reason it does.

My dad used to say if we ate too much breads and carbs we can get impacted like a cow....which is what happens to me if I consume a quarter of what my wife eats...get all blocked up. So what my genetics says I have tested on myself and it appears to be applicable to me. But that does not mean it applies to others because they could have other strong metabolic pathways that help them or they might be able to live symbiotically with bacteria I can't get along with.

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It's not specifically the bacteria that breakdown plants but the byproducts of that which have been associated with MS. This is going to be a small part once we see the big picture. It is being found that there is a multitude of gut bacteria that are either overexpressed or underexpressed in those with MS and other inflammatory diseases. If I were to speculate, I would think that there is likely a bacteria that cleans up the byproducts from breaking down plants that is lacking in those who have MS.

There are also going to be some genetic and environmental factors involved with a healthy individual microflora. In the past, when most people lived in the same location as our ancestors, people were born with some of the right microflora in their gut and gained the rest from breastfeeding. Many people no longer live in the regions of their ancestors or eat the traditional diets associated with those regions, and many are also no longer breastfed. As you pointed out in my other thread, our food has lots of stuff in it that kills off the bacteria in our gut and many medications do as well, not just antibiotics.

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

It's not specifically the bacteria that breakdown plants but the byproducts of that which have been associated with MS. This is going to be a small part once we see the big picture. It is being found that there is a multitude of gut bacteria that are either overexpressed or underexpressed in those with MS and other inflammatory diseases. If I were to speculate, I would think that there is likely a bacteria that cleans up the byproducts from breaking down plants that is lacking in those who have MS.

There are also going to be some genetic and environmental factors involved with a healthy individual microflora. In the past, when most people lived in the same location as our ancestors, people were born with some of the right microflora in their gut and gained the rest from breastfeeding. Many people no longer live in the regions of their ancestors or eat the traditional diets associated with those regions, and many are also no longer breastfed. As you pointed out in my other thread, our food has lots of stuff in it that kills off the bacteria in our gut and many medications do as well, not just antibiotics.

It is pretty hard for me to even speculate about that because I have not yet got to doing the research as to how that stuff works. Was busy all day, and this weekend we will also be doing some stuff too, but I should get a chance this weekend to get about four or five hours of reading on this subject done. I have not done enough research on this concept to be able to even speculate yet. I usually don't say much till I have had enough time to evaluate things properly. But I will investigate this because it may help people I know.

posted on Sep, 17 2022 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I have an anecdotal experience to share that is likely related. 

One of my dogs has corneal endothelial degeneration, which is a progressive eye disease that destroys the back layer of cells in the cornea and is often associated with autoimmune disorders. 19 months ago, her eye disease completely stopped progressing.  

The only major change is that, shortly before the disease stopped progressing, I had adopted another dog with kidney problems and decided to make my own kidney-friendly dog food instead of feeding one of the commercial kidney diet dog foods. I've been feeding the dog with the eye disease the same food because it's likely just as healthy for her. 

The homemade dog food contains many prebiotic foods such as fresh strawberries, Brussel sprouts, blueberries, pumpkin, red cabbage, red bell pepper, sweet potatoes and cranberries. In light of all of the research this year, I do not believe it is a stretch to say that her diet likely fixed the root cause of her eye disease by altering her gut microbiome.

Don't worry, they are eating a lot more than just fruits and veggies. I use a program that generates a balanced recipe from the ingredients I select, and their food also includes the right proportions of fresh beef heart, beef tongue, beef lung, green tripe, trachea, tendons, pulverized meaty bones, fish oil, and supplements.
edit on 17 9 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2022 @ 11:09 PM
link   

"The homemade dog food contains many prebiotic foods such as fresh strawberries, Brussel sprouts, blueberries, pumpkin, red cabbage, red bell pepper, sweet potatoes and cranberries."

Hmmm. All cyanide foods, both isothiocyanates or anthrocyanates, except maybe the bell peppers. I wonder why those would work? Those forms are antimicrobial to lots of gut flora, but some can live with them. They all are bioeffective on the thyroid and they can bind to cells to buffer the cells from getting over stimulated. I feel that their method of action may be different than what you are thinking they are. Iodine can also buffer the chloride channels without effecting the thyroid so much.

Like I said, I wonder how they actually work, I do not question the results you say your having, I am just curious as to what they are actually doing to correct the problem. It could be they are adjusting the gut microbes, but possibly there could be much more to it too.

posted on Sep, 18 2022 @ 01:01 AM
link   

All cyanide foods, both isothiocyanates or anthrocyanates

From OSU on isothiocyanates (Sulforaphane is an isothiocyanate found in cruciferous vegetables):

Anti-inflammatory activity
The therapeutic potential of sulforaphane has also been linked to its capacity to target pro-inflammatory pathways. Sulforaphane was found to attenuate pancreatic injury in a mouse model of acute pancreatitis by stimulating Nrf2-induced antioxidant enzymes (18). Concomitantly, sulforaphane significantly reduced the nuclear translocation of the pro-inflammatory transcription factor nuclear factor (NF)-κB in pancreatic acinar cells, downregulating the expression of NF-κB target genes that code for pro-inflammatory mediators, such as tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α), interleukin-1 (IL-1β), and IL-6 (Figure 3) (18). Through inhibiting the NF-κB pathway, sulforaphane also targets other mediators of the inflammatory response, including the enzymes cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), prostaglandin E (PGE) synthase, and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS). Sulforaphane exhibited anti-inflammatory effects in the lungs of mice with lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) by downregulating the expression of NF-κB, IL-6, TNF-α and COX-2, as well as decreasing production of nitric oxide (NO) and PGE2 (19). Other isothiocyanates have been shown to prevent the degradation of the NF-κB inhibitor, IκB, the nuclear translocation of NF-κB, and/or the transcriptional activity of NF-κB in vitro or in cultured cells (Figure 3) (20), which all can lead to a decrease in inflammatory responses.

The modulation of Nrf2 and NF-κB signaling pathways by isothiocyanates is especially relevant to the prevention of cancer because both oxidative stress and inflammation are significant contributors in the development and progression of cancer.

Isothiocyanates from Oregon State University

I made the diet specifically for the kidneys. I adopted the dog with kidney issues just about 2 years ago and he was in the early stages of kidney failure when I got him. His bloodwork and urinalysis have been perfect whenever he is mostly eating the recipe. It brought all of the kidney values within the normal range. I'm retrospectively looking at the recipe for prebiotic associations and see many. My accounting for what goes in it was not complete in my past post. Here is a link to the full recipe generated by BalanceIt: Select "View" found under where it says "Mid-range Protein/Carb."

Scroll about halfway down the page linked below to find a list of foods considered prebiotic. The article is geared towards obesity, but it is a more complete list of prebiotic fruits and vegetables and references to some studies to back it up seem to check out.
Prebiotics – As Important as Probiotics
edit on 18 9 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2022 @ 01:15 AM
link   

The link to my dog food recipe in the previous post apparently will not work. Here is a screen shot.

I add ground raw beef bones and tendon to the recipe above. I also add beef bone broth without straining the tallow away.

ETA: Ignore the New Zealand beef part. My cows are grass fed somewhat locally along the coastal arm of the Umpqua river.
edit on 18 9 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2022 @ 06:26 PM
link   

We boil the marrow bones from our half head of beef to make bone broth. We save all of the bone grease, that is actually a very good fat. We buy a hundred percent certified grassfed cow that is also certified organic but I kind of think the certification papers add no flavor, the farmer would raise it the same way without that paperwork. It is good beef and not that expensive for the quality of the beef.

Frying the onions in that bone grease adds a lot of flavor to onion soup. The half a head of beef actually only costs about twenty five cents a pound more than other farmers charge around here for hanging weight. We tried grassfed organic meat from the store here, it does not taste nearly as good for some reason, maybe it comes from South America or something, lots of those meats come from South America. Ours comes from Cornell Michigan not South America or Mexico. I get to see the cows running in the field there, they seem healthy and they seem more energetic than some of the other farmers cows I see around here.

top topics

join