It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real-Life Ghost Ships are Out There

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 03:31 PM
link   
www.msn.com... pc=U531&cvid=564c01cf21834152da29da4efbd16819

This is what happened to a 250-foot-long cargo carrier, the MV Alta. The massive, 2,400-ton ship lost power while sailing from Greece to Haiti in 2018. According to Surfline, the vessel lost power around 1,300 miles from the destination, and while the repair efforts went on for weeks, they were unsuccessful.

Eventually, the crew's efforts were forced to come to a complete halt when a hurricane posed a threat to their safety. They were evacuated, and the MV Alta left behind for good. A British Royal Navy ice patrol boat saw the MV Alta once more in 2019 in the mid-north Atlantic before the ship was spotted by a jogger five months later at its final resting place, when it ran ashore on Ireland's southern coast.

some ships pull into port and get abandoned by their owners, no sailing orders, no pay for their crews. strange situation.

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 03:36 PM
link   
2nd source
www.surfline.com...

For more than a year, the ghost ship Ryou-Un sailed unseen across the central North Pacific. Then in March of 2012, a Royal Canadian Air Force plane spotted Ryou-Un in Canadian waters. A tracking buoy was dropped onto the vessel to assure it would not go unnoticed again. The ghost ship was still heading eastward and only 180 miles short of completing a transpacific voyage when it entered U.S. coastal waters and was confronted by the US Coast Guard Cutter Anacapa. After declaring the derelict vessel an environmental threat and a hazard to navigation, the USCG decided the ghost ship must be destroyed on-site.

on more than one occasion in WWII, ships were abandoned by their crews but refused to sink. usually they were ultimately sunk by their own navies.

anyone with personal knowledge of???
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: clarify

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero
Would you like a real ghost ship story?

My grandfather was a Maritime sea Captain on what was known as 'coasters'. Too young to serve in WWI and just a little too old and by now established as a sea Captain he was left in the maritime division and was one of many ships commandeered for the evacuation of Dunkirk etc.
Anyhoo, years later, out at sea in the middle of the night, he was abruptly called up on deck. When he got there, a full rig sailing ship was heading straight for a bow-on-bow collision with his ship. There was absolutely no time to take evasive action as that would have caused more damage than a head on collision so my grandfather yelled to the crew to brace for impact. As soon as 'impact' should have happened, the full rig ship completely disappeared.
He was a very logical man, but he always said this was the only thing he could never explain.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 06:09 PM
link   
It is estimated (by my local paper) that there are 3,000,000 sunken ships on the ocean floor.

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Well, while looking around, I came across this very interesting article about 'spoofing' GPS systems of ships going in and out of Shanghai.
After reading this article I would be saying "no" to any boat trip that involved Shanghai.
Worth a thread of its own!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
Would you like a real ghost ship story?

My grandfather was a Maritime sea Captain on what was known as 'coasters'. Too young to serve in WWI and just a little too old and by now established as a sea Captain he was left in the maritime division and was one of many ships commandeered for the evacuation of Dunkirk etc.
Anyhoo, years later, out at sea in the middle of the night, he was abruptly called up on deck. When he got there, a full rig sailing ship was heading straight for a bow-on-bow collision with his ship. There was absolutely no time to take evasive action as that would have caused more damage than a head on collision so my grandfather yelled to the crew to brace for impact. As soon as 'impact' should have happened, the full rig ship completely disappeared.
He was a very logical man, but he always said this was the only thing he could never explain.
Rainbows
Jane

That's a pretty neat and spooky story, I must say the ocean is and has been a strange place since time began. I would also say that there is likely a reason that almost any sea faring individual worth their stuff has certain superstitions for a reason.

It really is YOU vs Poseidon at that point, and good ol' Poseidon tends to demand respect.

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

many years ago
a young woman in the US Navy told me she was lounging on a beach with a few friends and she saw a fully-rigged ship go by. nobody said a word.

having said that, there are a few 'tall ships' still around, mostly trainers

thanks for story.

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Not many of them disappear on impact.

new topics

top topics

join