It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regardless of actual truth, would one rather there be or not be some kind of Supreme Being?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Plunkenstein

I would like there to be some sort of afterlife but I can do without an administrator of it.

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Randyvine2
a reply to: incoserv

But if the "plate of food" is actually a pile of rocks,

Would you expect a blind dog to find a pile of rocks?

Uh, no, i would not. That was pretty much my point. The question is like that pile of rocks. The rocks are not food; they'd be a diversion or a deception or something like a non sequitur. Like the OP question

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plunkenstein

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

I think you really need to define the parameters of the question before it can be answered.

What we have currently are faith based religions. If a Supreme Being were to drop in one day and say "Hi", that would pretty much yank the rug out from under faith and replace it with, "I am the Supreme Being, do as I say, believe as I believe, think as I think, or else." That is not religion, that is ruler and subject. Not what you normally look for in a deity.

Typically, anything we haven't figured out how to take credit for, or, don't want to take the blame for we ascribe to God. If someone ends up suffering some great turmoil in life its easier to both say and hear, "It was God's will", rather than, "He screwed up." One relieves us of the burden of our own failures in addition to the results. Its bad enough to have to pick up the pieces without being constantly reminded that its all your fault too. Then prayer can be seen as an acknowledgement of the mistake and seeking a solution. If you look at great personal tragedy and how religion is woven in, it pretty well follows the five stages of grief. Its sort of a universal coping mechanism.

Any being or beings who doesn't/don't fully understand the concepts of democracy, consensus and science isn't/aren't worthy of being deemed advanced. Things aren't as simplistic and holistic as the existing political world.

So in your opinion religion should be a majority rule because any Deity that doesn't recognize that is not worthy of being a Deity? I hate to break it to you, but I am pretty sure you don't get to set the ground rules for qualification as a God. Not to mention the fact that multi-theistic religions were dominant at one time but were abandoned after more thoughtful examination of the roles and the inherent flaws in the system.

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Supreme Being is one thing but a Creator of Everything is another...

i believe in a universal pantheon of Superior Beings but not an Entity that is singularly supreme and concerned about Earth and humanity after creating heaven and an array of spiritual beings, for a purpose beyond amusement or diversion...

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I don't think it matters either way. We are here temporarily, then we are not. What happens to our "souls" after death is speculation. The most likely scientific explanation is our consciousness cannot exist without a living brain. Any NDE's are likely down to the process of the brain shutting down at death. After that, who knows? Nobody does. Heaven, hell, reincarnation, oblivion? Only one of those is likely to a rational person. But awareness of mortality causes irrationality and it is a main reason we are so messed up as a species.

If there is a supereme being, then that infers we are here for a purpose. What that purpose is, again, nobody knows. It is all speculation. We could be in a prison of sorts. We could be here to learn and grow. We could just be a form of entertainment. Whatever the reason, or lack of it, it is all beyond our control and all we can do is be ourselves before we can no longer be anything.

edit on 30/8/2022 by MetalChickAmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plunkenstein
I believe proof of such a being could, or at least should, be the ultimate unifying factor for humanity. Question then becomes what that is at least in the area of omnipotence qualifies one to make such a claim, obviously along with that which would clearly qualify as proof.

Never forget "teamwork makes the dream work." I believe there is a likely polytheistic aspect of the unknown/unseen that is seemingly most likely egregiously overlooked. I have a substantial enough history of unexplained experiences of which I can in best conscience abstain from being more specific.

There are so many different religions so what's to conclude if it's true? How can I decide if there's no information revealed to me.

Let me put it this way, do you want to be married? You cannot answer if no one can give you any information on your partner.

So I cannot answer do I want something to exist when I know nothing about what I want to exist.

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Majority rule only works with enough majority education, which hopefully mostly will eventually translate to said majority agreeing that religion is archaic and flawed thinking that has no place in governance and political influence. Who or what outside the majority (if ever) that can act truly effectively anyway, and how and why is as beyond me as any terrestrial.

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Its kind of funny, but, your answer of excluding religion from governance is dependent upon faith in the governance based on education. You express an ideology where everyone is educated enough to come together as one and be their own god. Unfortunately, you don't have to be smart to be in the majority. One look at our own government right now is proof that you can be the one pulling the strings and not be anywhere near the majority.

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 10:21 PM
link   

There is a supreme being. We call him God. Some people may not believe because they can't see him, but you can't see air either, and it's keeping you alive.

posted on Aug, 31 2022 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Wishing for there to NOT be a supreme being would eliminate my anxiety but my gut tells me we are not here by chance. I just wish there was a supreme being that did not allow for the extreme and unecessary suffering that many have no choice but to endure.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join