It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 year ATS anniversary

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Ten years ago today, I joined ATS. I had done some lurking a few months before that, and then decided to take the plunge. I've been down some rabbit holes since then, learned some things, and had a lot of laughs. I've been angry, incredulous, shocked, frustrated, happy, mind blown, etc. These ten years have flown by.

Today is Friday here, and the end of a very tumultuous week for me. Tuesday night, I was the victim of a hit and run. A guy driving a pickup truck was driving erratically, probably drunk, got in front of me and slammed on his brakes. I stopped. I saw his reverse lights go on and was about to put my car in reverse to give him room when he rammed my front end hard. He then took off like a bat out of hell. I didn't even have time to put my car in reverse to get away. I was so shocked, I was frozen for a moment. After putting the car in park and checking out the damage, a bunch of people, 15-20 in all, came up and one lady immediately called 911. Surprisingly enough, I was not hurt, but my car was a different story. The entire front end was pretty smashed up, including the hood. The car still worked though and was driveable.

The people who witnessed the hit and run stuck around and talked to the police officer after I told my story. They verified that I didn't do anything wrong, that the guy was driving like a maniac, and was shouting out the window before he hit me. I was pretty shaken up. I called my insurance company and told them what happened. Within a few minutes, they told me about a collision place I could take it to so it could be repaired. I was able to limp my car home, and the next morning dropped it off at the collision place. They gave a rental to use. Later that morning, the insurance adjuster called with bad news. The car was a total loss, and they would not repair it. The insurance company would cut me a check for what they thought the car is worth before the hit and run.

Mind you, this was a 19 year old Olds Alero that I had for 14 years. So the last few days, I've been looking at and test driving cars. I am now faced with spending upwards of $17,000 on a used vehicle and am facing $320/month car payments. I'm retired with a husband in the nursing home, so as a community spouse, any income over $2900/month goes to the nursing home as he is on medicaid. So getting a part time job wouldn't help pay for the vehicle, as the extra would go to the nursing home. They don't take these things into account for community spouses.

Then last night, the police officer in charge of the case informed me that the camera was able to definitely get a bead on the truck, and what he did to me. Apparently the guy who hit me is as the officer said "well known". That does not bode well. This guy wreaks havoc left and right, no license, no insurance. He's had at least one DUI. The officer said they know who he is and are looking for him. The guy blew town after the hit and run. The officer told me if they find the guy, they can only cite him for a traffic violation, like a speeding ticket. Hit and run is not a felony if the victim is unhurt. They cannot arrest him or put him in jail, because their hands are tied by the city district attorney. This guy has thousands of dollars in fines, and has been doing this outrageous behavior for some time.

I think this is total bull#. What is it going to take to get this guy off the streets? Him putting someone in the hospital or killing them? I don't feel very safe, as he could be anywhere. Getting any money from him would be like getting blood from a stone. So I will be spending a lot of money I don't really have because I was the victim of a hit and run that is considered nothing more than a traffic violation. The criminals have more rights than the victim. The cops wouldn't tell me the guy's name. So I feel unsafe, violated, and I'm really pissed. Nothing I can do but let the police do their job. I hope they get the guy. Karma is a bitch. He'll get his one of these days.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD
First, happy anniversary

But reading this that makes me %§&§& angry. How comes so often the bad guy get off with a slap on the fingers or none at all while honest working people have to deal with the fallout?

That I read your thread is pure synchronity, I talked about this with a friend a few hours ago what happened to me today:

Let off some steam in the sense of driving my old rally car that is now 100% road legal and on my way to the autobahn, I was waived into a DUI. Some friendly back and forth and I had the option to either go urinate in a tent into a cup or be taken to the police station for a blood test. I first refused because of dignity but then did the first test they offered. It came back clean.

Then they focus on the car and begin to speculate how many things are "forbidden" or "illegal" but they stopped the wrong person because I rebuilt this car myself and layed hands on almost every screw in there. I know my # and when they became cocky and overconfident, I disclosed that I know my # because I do this professional and then they turned around and flat out said like "Yes, we agree, that's why we impound your car now, because we can not judge what is legal or not, too complicated, so we impound it."

Felt like a punch to my face because they did this extra with a smirk on their face. I was friendly and they had no reasons to put me under test.

Sorry for spoiling the thread with more negativity but this is just fitting and I am fed up with bs like this when people like you and me who just mind their own business and do nothing wrong get the criminal treatment because we are an easy target.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 04:43 PM
link   

We live in a crazy world full of crazy people these days , the best we can do is try not to join them.

Happy ATS Anniversary ChiefD.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Hit and run is not a felony if the victim is unhurt.

Are you sure you aren't hurt. I am not saying that in a scammy way. Often these types of injuries show up later as neck and back pain. I'm convinced I have hip pain from a sledding accident many years prior.
Be sure to get checked out.

As for the car. Do you have the next door app? If so post your story on there and ask if anyone has a car they are willing to sell. You'd be surprised...

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

OMG, I'm so sorry to hear this! Total bull# the way you were treated. Totally unfair. Even after testing and you were clean, they still treated you like crap, probably because they felt threatened. What a bunch of jerkoffs. Screw them.

I agree with you on the synchronicity. Pretty eerie. Yeah, we are the easy target. Total horse pucky, but there it is. Were you able to get your car back? Maybe you can take legal action against them.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Thanks for the advice. I feel fine, but I think I will get checked out, just in case. It may be too late though, because the hit and run was three days ago.

I do have the Nextdoor app. I never thought of going on there and posting my story. Thanks for the advice.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Well done mate, congrats on the big one oh.

Hit and run is not a felony if the victim is unhurt.

That's BS, honestly what the actual ....

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

Yeah, I know, I'm thinking the same thing. Some laws are so messed up. I left a message for the DA to tell him what I thought of that.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Tuesday night, I was the victim of a hit and run.

Hit and run is not a felony if the victim is unhurt. They cannot arrest him or put him in jail, because their hands are tied by the city district attorney.

Sometimes it can take a few days for an injury to show.
Whiplash, sore neck, back pain, headaches.

It'd be a shame if you started showing symptoms and the guy got what he deserved.

........just sayin'

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 06:42 PM
link   
After hearing your replies, it may be too late, but I will go get checked out. I'll explain everything and let them know I feel fine, and I've been super busy just trying to keep my head above water. Will see what happens after that. The good thing is that the Olds Alero was a big tank of a car, protected me very well. She gave her life for me is how I feel. Yeah I know, weird, but I'll be the first to admit I'm kinda weird.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Glad you're okay ma'am.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 07:24 PM
link   

You'd be amazed at how long the adrenaline and endorphins can delay the onset of pain. Some of us can tough it out longer than others before we're willing to admit there's a problem.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Make sure you review your policy and negotiate the price for your car. If you make it more troublesome for them to deal with you than just cut a check for a bit more than they want they may do so. As another member mentioned a trip to the doctor is probably in order too. If you have uninsured motorist coverage for injuries they may also be willing to up the price on the car reimbursement to save paying long term medical.

Just remember you're a customer and a client with a contract, they don't get to dictate terms outside the parameters in that contract and they may be willing to up the price if it avoids mediation or some other expensive route. Sadly the system is set up to your disadvantage so you have to lobby for yourself against those that are hired to "protect" you from losses.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Happy Anniversary

This guy sounds like a real winner. You for sure need to see a doctor just in case at least. I wouldn't have a problem "remembering" that my back is injured just to nail this arsehole...

Like someone else said, don't let the insurance dudes push you around.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Happy anniversary ATS.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Oooooooof!! And here I am thinking it takes my life away making 2 minute noodles.. lol

truth be told, a lil birdy told me I'd been here since 2001... now thats a hot tamale...

pepper and spice, sugar and nice... or summink.. this is my internet home. pls let me stay. that's what I always say!!

10 years! must feel like a second home, too??

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 03:32 AM
link   

edit on 8/27/2022 by TheRedneck because: Removed for Spam

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Yeah they had to find a reason after the drug test came back negative. And it isn't like I do drugs, I just look #ty currently because of medical reasons. And it's not like this was visible, I was clearly targeted for the car.

Monday the bureau responsible will take a look at the vehicle and I can't be with them. I hold the same education and titles plus some more than the people that are going to look at it. And the exhaust -if you don't go past 4.3k rpm is cleaner than most cars built before 2012. If they impound it forever, that's one iconic 80s rally car less on this planet.

I hope you find some peace and that the maniac who is responsible for your trouble, will be held responsible to the full extend of the law the next time he does harm to another person. I read that he's fine for the hit and run because he didn't harm you. But that also means he will have to harm another person first to give a reason.

Maybe karma will take over from here and the next victim is just a concrete pillar somewhere.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I did get checked out by a doctor. Everything is fine, no extra aches or pains. The doc did note the arthritis is getting worse in my ankles. Both ankles ache at times, especially as humid as it's been lately, the left one a little worse than the right one. But this has been going on since long before the hit and run. He also suggested a neti pot for my sinus headaches, which I get a lot of in the summer. I'll try that since my sinuses have been bugging me for a long time. But I'm fine, and not injured from the hit and run. I'm grateful very much for that.

Hopefully I'll receive an update from the police whether they caught the guy. The insurance company told me that if the police do find the guy, they will go after him whether he has insurance or not. They also stated they would refund me the $500 collision deductible I had to pay once they go after him. The $500 was deducted from the settlement check, but I still got close to $3,000, not bad for a 2003 Alero. It was 19 years old, and I took very good care of it.

Karma is a bitch, and this guy will get his. Even though nothing will come of it, if they catch the guy, I'm getting a lawyer and plan to sue him.

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Should have stayed in the car and started going "OHHHHH MY NECK! OOOOOHHHH MY BACK!"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join