It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power generation from Electric car parts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2022 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Hi,

I was wondering lzst night about the possibility of taking an electric car motor and battery and turning them into a power generator and storage using wind?

I know that the motors can feed power back into the batteries when breaking, so if I took a motor, attached a set of blades and let the wind spin it, maybe with some sort of gearbox, would it be a viable power source like solar panels?

posted on Aug, 24 2022 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobsa
Hi,

I was wondering lzst night about the possibility of taking an electric car motor and battery and turning them into a power generator and storage using wind?

I know that the motors can feed power back into the batteries when breaking, so if I took a motor, attached a set of blades and let the wind spin it, maybe with some sort of gearbox, would it be a viable power source like solar panels?
Why would you want to use car parts instead of parts designed for a windmill?

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but when engineers design things for specific applications, they tend to work most efficiently in those applications instead of some other application they weren't designed for, though they may work less efficiently in the other application.

You might learn something about engineering if you tried it, like what does and doesn't work well, and what kind of gearbox you might need.

posted on Aug, 24 2022 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Hi,

an engineer says sorry but it won't happen

posted on Aug, 24 2022 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Whilst the generator is inexpensive enough in the UK the batteries for storage are wildly expensive, using parts from a car thats been written off could be a lot cheaper and allow storage of more power. as an example, a tesla model s battery can hold 60-100KWh of battery power.

posted on Aug, 24 2022 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Hi,

Yes you could - in theory.

You can also use a car alternator as energy maker, a washing machine drum for the big pulley on the back.

A large fan belt to drive alternator form pulley. Then make some blades from guttering. Use this to charge a bank of car batteries. Then use an inverter to provide AC power for appliances.

Its actually quite simple, cheap and effective.

If you have the battery storage and inverter. Then anyway you can find to turn the alternator to charge the batteries will work.
Windmill
Watermill
Solar Panels
Generator
Pedal cycle

posted on Aug, 24 2022 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I was always amazed what The Professor came up with to generate power on Gilligan's Island...usually involved Gilligan pedaling something.
Gotta get me some of those long-lasting batteries they had in their transistor radio as well.

posted on Aug, 24 2022 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: bobsa

there are plans for car alternators form a combustion vehicle windmills, just do a search.

some EV's have what is called regenerative charging, i haven't seen any plans or anything o how to adapt it for standby/ off grid power

posted on Aug, 24 2022 @ 09:47 AM
link   

a reply to: Arbitrageur

Whilst the generator is inexpensive enough in the UK the batteries for storage are wildly expensive, using parts from a car thats been written off could be a lot cheaper and allow storage of more power. as an example, a tesla model s battery can hold 60-100KWh of battery power.

It sounds like you're comparing the cost of used Tesla batteries to the cost of new "green" storage batteries.

Wouldn't it be a more fair comparison to compare used Tesla batteries to used "green" storage batteries?

Anyway focusing on the bateries is a different question than the way the opening post was worded.
Here's man who used a car battery and said it was 300V, so he had to re-wire the cells from series to parallel so the output would only be 60V, within the range of the inverter he's using:

Can You Use Tesla Batteries For Off Grid Solar? 18650 DIY Powerwall Lithium Ion Home Battery

Remember, depending on how much your time is worth, it's not exactly free to do the re-wiring, or you might have to hire someone else to do it, but it might save you some money.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: bobsa

This New/Old form of Harnessing the Power of the Sun shows Great Promise.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 07:38 PM
link   

You might find these interesting.

top topics

join