It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypothetical... How would a screenwriter research information on weaponry safely?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Hi folks,

I've never posted in this forum before, hopefully I won't commit a 'faux pas' by posting this query.

I've had a couple of writing jobs in the past, and quite recently I developed a concept for a screenplay which involves, in part, an ex-military character who (without revealing the plot) winds up needing to forumlate serious weaponry on the fly (no pun intended) with access to not much more than typical household chemicals, safety equipment & gear you might find in the well-stocked workshop of an eccentric elderly man. This unfolds in a 'life or death' scenario where he has no choice but to act in this manner - he's a true 'good guy', acting to save the lives of innocents.

What I would like to do is to make this as realistic as possible - obviously without revealing any particular 'recipes', in an irresponsible or illegal manner. However, I would like to operate from a position of knowledge when formulating the plotline (always the best policy) - ensuring that I can add a sense of realism which would make the action seem believable & 'MacGuyver-esque' to regular moviegoers, whilst also making it enjoyable & authentic for the sake of those people who actually know how it's all done for real.

I presume that at least a few of the members who post in this forum will actually know how all sorts of weapons could be manufactured in this manner - but in no way am I soliciting direct 'how to' information from those people. Please DO NOT send me U2Us explaining how to make various types of 'whatever'. Having said this, I'm definitely interested in knowing whether there is either, or both:

a) A solid legal foothold from which a writer of fiction can research this information without incurring the wrath of the authorities..

b) A publically available resource/method by which the sort of information I'm hoping to find can be accessed without incurring the wrath of the authorities.

I would record a written statement of intent, signed & sealed, witnessed by an attorney, before embarking on the research project. Just in case that would help, in the event that the authorities did, for any reason, try to bring their wrath to bear upon my person, despite my innocent intentions.

This is a totally legitimate situation. I was an associate producer at a successful animation studio for a short time before I became disabled through the effects of a degenerative neurological disorder, several years ago. I have always enjoyed writing, and while it's a bit lame to say it, I frequently get compliments on my writing. I hope that this passion of mine comes across, at least to some degree, through what I share elsewhere on this forum. For the record, I'm in no way any sort of revolutionary, anarchist or criminal; I'm 'libertarian' in pure politics but (grudgingly) support the Conservative party in the UK. Conservative with a small 'c', you might say.

So that's a bit of background - the screenplay concept actually came to me in a flash a few months ago, though I parked it at the time for a number of reasons. I'm quite excited about it, as a part-time project to be completed alongside my other engagements. So if anyone here can help by offering any advice, I'd most appreciate it. I might even put you in the credits roll (anonymously, of course!)

Many thanks,

FITO.

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 10:40 AM
link   
have you ever read The Poor Man's James Bond books? If not check them out.

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I would add The Anarchist Cookbook to look into as research. Your question is kind of general as in you will need to build a back story of this person and then apply what skills they have. As example, you wouldn't just start mixing chemicals in your house hoping to get something, so your person would need to know about what works to make fire or explosives type weapons. You said this person is older so not that physical fit, but if they have time maybe go down the direction of man traps, lots of spring type things in a house, but to grab a broom handle or kitchen knife doesn't seem would be a good fit, and kind of boring. I would think about how much time and what skills do they have and then start to look at possibilities to match.

If I was going to go down the path of making some kind of improvised gun I would 100% stick to shotgun shells, no aim needed and it will hit a wide area unlike trying the same thing with lets say a 9mm.

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

I gave you a star and flag because your request seems genuine.

That said, I'm not sure of the time difference between us( I'm in the US) but I can give you a ton of ideas for this. I ain't typing anything on the Web though. I'm just your typical redneck that owns a bodyshop.

If you want, you can call anytime. 309 645 7120.

Robbie

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Flour can be explosive.

Cooking spray is flammable.

Finely ground cayenne powder is essentially tear gas.

From "Get the Hell Outta My Kitchen!", available only in reinforced (virtually bulletproof!) hardcover.
edit on 19-8-2022 by Mantiss2021 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Definitely Anarchist Cook Book, and do a search on Uncle Fester.

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment
Please DO NOT send me U2Us explaining how to make various types of 'whatever'.

Sure, sure, please don't send me any either :wink:

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 02:28 PM
link   

find a former SF operator and ask them to help. they've seen a bunch of improvised weapons in the field and more than likely know a trick or two, some have been known to work as consultants on movies.

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 05:34 PM
link   

This is what I use to write screen plays. If you want to market your script, it must be industry standard.

www.finaldraft.com...

Also as a small time producer, u2u me with a treatment of the script.

freshmenscreenplay.com...

Also before you even get started, I would advise joining the WGA. They can help with protecting your intellectual property.

www.wga.org...

Join us, the market is crying for good material!!! Good Luck!

As a producer yourself you probably know all this stuff.

edit on 19-8-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 05:55 PM
link   

• Anarchist's Cookbook. This is Dark Web stuff, so keep your references to it under wraps.

• An advisor. Not someone in Hollywood; someone who is real. Ex-military would be good... loner would be good... self-sufficiency would be good. They're not hard to spot if you know what to look for: look at their eyes. They will be calmer than those around them, quieter than those around them (at least when the conversation turns serious), and won't be rattled by anything. That's self-confidence, and self-confidence is born out of knowing how to handle oneself no matter the situation.
Good luck. As olaru said, the industry is in serious need of material. It's getting hard to find an original idea that has a halfway decent plot.

TheRedneck

(post by AutomateThis1v2 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 20 2022 @ 05:10 PM
link   

To start, I would tell them to google weapon safety.

posted on Aug, 21 2022 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Hi Olaru12,

Thanks for your reply - I'm familiar with Final Draft, I used to use it when working for the animation studio (I did about five full scripts for them, I wasn't there long before my illness struck & ruined everything) - but I've actually been using ArcStudio Pro for this project, I find it a bit more intuitive than Final Draft, a bit more flexible in certain ways, there are quite a few tools for planning & management of the storyline, characters, etc.

I appreciate your offer, I very well may get in touch to discuss the screenplay at some point. It's one of those where the basic premise has been dealt with a few times before in quite successful movies (mostly low-mid budget), but I believe I've got quite an original take on it, there's a particular theme with a lot of depth to get drawn into, which could work out nicely. As they apparently say, "Give me more of the same...but different!"

I'm following your advice re: Writer's guild, but in my case it would be the WGGB (Writer's Guild of Great Britain) - you're absolutely right though, it's important to have a bit of help in protecting the intellectual property, ensuring my rights are protected when working with studios, and so on. I actually work in product design as well (I recently started a business in that area), so IP protection is way up there in my general psychological outlook.

I will probably U2U to discuss further if that's okay? I look forward to chatting things through.

Cheers, FITO.

posted on Aug, 21 2022 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I will probably U2U to discuss further if that's okay? I look forward to chatting things through.

Of course...

posted on Aug, 21 2022 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Ooooooook...

new topics

top topics

join