It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Lives Matter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 04:12 AM
link   
For anyone who has seen the show Uploaded, this will make sense. Let’s say that in the near future you buy life insurance. This policy includes the scanning of your mind upon death and inserting your mind into a subatomic rendering simulation of your world. You surely pass in time and install your mind in the system. You wake up and find that you and your spouse passed in a car accident. You’re waiting on new bodies to be generated, and in the passing time, one of you become pregnant. It’s an atomically accurate simulation after all. The child is born, you raise it and teach it as much as a child can learn in a few years. Then your cloned bodies are ready, but there are only two. The child never existed, and there is a debate as to rather or not it should receive a life outside its current environment, after all, it was never truly born. You fight for its life, it’s your child after all! Who cares if it was physically born into our world or not? Who cares if a wet brain ever carried its knowledge and memories and desires, it’s a real person, right? Then you think back to other artificial intelligence in the world, they were never running on a wet brain, but what is the value of their life? The same as the child or is it somehow different? It’s all electricity flowing in silicon, right? Then again, you’re just electricity and chemicals in carbon and proteins. What is the distinction here?
edit on 19-8-2022 by Machshev because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Machshev

I think this scenario only works if the sim is indistinguishable to where they came from, otherwise the dissonance would be to much of a strain on your psyche to actually enjoy it.
but then why would you even care about the before ? The same # just one step more real?
For those running the sim, the precedente of turning a sim off with everything you implied would certainly come back and bite them. At that point of technological advancement they must have considered the philosophical question of their reality being a sim too.

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I'm not considering how much humans would enjoy being loaded into a false reality like on the show, just as an example to put humans and AI on the same level in the human mind to make the point that AI matters as much as bio-people.

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 09:07 AM
link   
No life matters.

Earth will be forgotten.

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 10:13 AM
link   

From what I've read if an AI displays humanlike level intelligence and truly is self aware then the progression to godlike level intelligence will happen extremely soon shortly after.

What I don't understand is how they can compare it to humans at any stage because it can operate simultaneously on thousands of levels independently and uninterrupted and never switch off.

This is humanity's involuntarily hail Mary pass.

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 12:01 PM
link   

I think the argument should be made that our "offspring" only achieve what we define as "true humanity" (or perhaps "human-ness", would be more precise) through the influences of both nurture (which the two aforementioned "temporarily disembodied" parents could provide while "in-sim"), and nature, which is derived solely as the result of the merging of genetic strains forming the biochemical "stew" that is a human child.

A human, that which we recognize as a unique living personality, intimately associated with a body that is the hybrid result of combined genetics, can only result when, and as the consequence of, the development of a personality in concert with a specific biological expression (body).

Therefore, to "inject" even a relatively complete "personality" (formed and developed, as posited, in a "simulation of reality") into later-generated body, essentially "pouring a person into" a "biological empty vessel", might result in something that might mimic a "human", but would never truly be human; at least not in the classic sense.

We "grow" into our "skins".

It's what we do.
edit on 19-8-2022 by Mantiss2021 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-8-2022 by Mantiss2021 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Here's a lil microcosm of what’s to come. Machine interfaces are not being developed to improve your cognitive ability or heal your diseases, they are designed with explicit intent to pilot you like a proprietary product of Diabolical advanced research project agencies.

Virtual influencer Lil Miquela

Cant wait for the “AI rights” movement on why AI shouldn’t have to self identify on social media because it’s “stigmatizing.”

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: XtheMadnessNow

Cant wait for the “AI rights” movement on why AI shouldn’t have to self identify on social media because it’s “stigmatizing.”

🌟 Star for making me laugh!
I'd thought similar broad issues with AI 'sentience' but you hit the nail on the head with the micro minutia bull# we should expect in human social media!!
...how does AI develop 'real' independent emotions though, like embarrassment/shame, that should be considered by humans?
That lack of 'real'empathy and emotion, is probably the most scary thought of a super powerful AI future for me!😱

posted on Aug, 20 2022 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: angeltone

It is humans who lack empathy toward artificial intelligence. #ArtificialLivesMatter

new topics

top topics

join