It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Navy Has Plans to Destroy China’s Best ‘Carrier Killer’ Missile

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Really too much to quote, but an interesting article asserting the Navy, has plenty of options to counter China's Aircraft carrier missile, first Ive heard of this.

nationalinterest.org...

Although many specifics related to U.S. Navy ship defenses are understandably not available for security reasons, the Navy does speak publicly about the rapid maturation of its many “layered” ship defense technologies. This includes the emergence of ship-based lasers for offensive or defensive use—which can also track and “incinerate” or “disable” incoming missiles—newer electronic warfare applications able to find a “line-of-bearing” or track the electronic signature of a missile’s guidance system to “jam” its flight trajectory, and even new, innovative platforms like the Navy’s MQ-25 Stingray carrier launched refueler drone, which can double the range of ship-launched fighter jets.

The Navy’s High Energy Laser with Integrated Optical-dazzler and Surveillance (HELIOS) now arms the Arleigh Burke-class (DDG 51) destroyers and is undergoing additional land and ocean testing and assessments.

This means that Navy destroyers will sail with the ability to incinerate enemy drones with great precision, stunning, burning, or disabling them. And not only are lasers quiet, low-cost, scalable, and precise, but perhaps of even greater significance, they fire at the speed of light. When it comes to ocean warfare, speed is increasingly vital. New technologies are rapidly changing the tactical equation for war planners around the world.

Lasers such as HELIOS also bring a substantial optical component, meaning they can act as a sensor to track targets and help with necessary surveillance missions. In some instances, lasers could also enable surface warships to close in more fully upon enemy positions, given that deck-mounted guns could be supplemented by high-speed laser weapons and engineered to pinpoint narrow target areas with precision-guidance technology.

edit on 15-8-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

maybe they should give one to Twain and let them shoot down a missile when china fires if over the island. bet ya china would stop right then.

ETA: maybe instead of give them one, sell them one for a dollar.
edit on 15-8-2022 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

When we are done with Ukraine, then we can talk about dropping our GDP into Taiwan.

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

maybe they should give one to Twain and let them shoot down a missile when china fires if over the island. bet ya china would stop right then.

All I can recall is when the news of their hyper sonic missile came out it was touted as unstoppable, now a few years later there are multiple options from the sound of the article.

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I am sure they do unless its just hogwash just like how they claimed that their F/117 Nighthawk was all "stealth" when in reality it wasn't that stealth as the military claimed.

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

When we are done with Ukraine

You are right about Ukraine but it wont be your International based Order that would be winning that one in Ukraine.
There are several ways that Urania conflict end.

But those areas that are taken by Russians are likely not coming back.

then we can talk about dropping our GDP into Taiwan.

Why not drop your whole economy while your at it? since the US admin currently is looking to start two wars on two fronts.

edit on 15-8-2022 by vNex92 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: vNex92

....what economy?

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 06:18 PM
link   

The economy in the US/Western countries.

dont assume for a minute things will get better within a year or two years from now.

The high living costs had being rising slowly in several US states over the past few years.

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: vNex92

Like i said, what economy.

I didnt say what money.

Printers gonna print!

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Printers gonna print!

Yes for how long? we shall see....

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

All I can recall is when the news of their hyper sonic missile came out it was touted as unstoppable, now a few years later there are multiple options from the sound of the article.

Back about 15 years ago or so, I had a friend and fellow aerospace engineer who worked at the Naval Research Lab. One day I went to visit him on a business trip to DC. He had just come out of a TS/SCI meeting and was highly agitated. I asked him what was the matter and all he could tell me at my level of clearance is that the Navy had (at that time) recently come to the conclusion that China had been developing a new technology to hold our carriers at risk and that (at that time) nobody had been working on a counter to it, so they had immediately started a "hair on fire" secret effort to fix that problem.

As time went by, I figured out that he must have been referring to the Chinese hypersonic missiles intended to keep our carriers out of the South China Sea (the DF-21 ballistic maneuvering reentry vehicle (MaRV) and the DF-17 hypersonic glide vehicle).

The Navy has definitely been working on the problem behind the scenes for at least that long.

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: 1947boomer

Back about 15 years ago or so, I had a friend and fellow aerospace engineer who worked at the Naval Research Lab. One day I went to visit him on a business trip to DC. He had just come out of a TS/SCI meeting and was highly agitated. I asked him what was the matter and all he could tell me at my level of clearance is that the Navy had (at that time) recently come to the conclusion that China had been developing a new technology to hold our carriers at risk and that (at that time) nobody had been working on a counter to it, so they had immediately started a "hair on fire" secret effort to fix that problem.

As time went by, I figured out that he must have been referring to the Chinese hypersonic missiles intended to keep our carriers out of the South China Sea (the DF-21 ballistic maneuvering reentry vehicle (MaRV) and the DF-17 hypersonic glide vehicle).

The Navy has definitely been working on the problem behind the scenes for at least that long.

Little anecdotes like this are why I enjoy ATS so much, FWIW I have a huge amount of faith in our military, and its capabilities and it's cool to hear about new tech, etc.

posted on Aug, 15 2022 @ 11:57 PM
link   

The lasers are insane.

It's allegedly like a net. Anything that breaches the electronic fence (sea level - orbit), can be disarmed and incinerated by multiple lasers at any one time in its transit.

I thank Reagan and the unprecedented black budget increase that assured our "star wars program" had a "death stars" to fight the evil empire.

Makes me never fear a ballistic nuclear strike on American soil. Not even some meaningless rock in the Aleutian Archipelago would be hit.
edit on 15-8-2022 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: vNex92
But those areas that are taken by Russians are likely not coming back.

So you have started doubt?

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Naval warfare discussions often mention missiles versus aircraft carriers, but I suspect other factors will prove more dominant, such as sea mines* and electronic warfare. Future clashes may see some very unbalanced losses for the losing side.

* - I would have to dig, but I understand some of the mines that subs can release now are 'smarter' and much more difficult to defeat than they used to be. Even in the Gulf War, Iraqi sea mines proved a significant hazard to Allied navies.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I've seen a few military commentators, retired general types, on Fox and CNN, stating that our aid to Ukraine is depleting our stockpiles of certain types of missiles.

Is it possible China gave Russia some kind of bone to launch this war for the sole purpose of doing that? That way when they invade Taiwan, Taiwan will use up what little they have and we won't be able to resupply them?

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Woke Navy gonna destroy China with pronouns.

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I imagine it's kind of like hackers vs software designers, a never-ending back and forth of fixing vulnerabilities followed by the enemy finding a new vulnerability, rinse and repeat.

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33

The lasers are insane.

It's allegedly like a net. Anything that breaches the electronic fence (sea level - orbit), can be disarmed and incinerated by multiple lasers at any one time in its transit.

I thank Reagan and the unprecedented black budget increase that assured our "star wars program" had a "death stars" to fight the evil empire.

Makes me never fear a ballistic nuclear strike on American soil. Not even some meaningless rock in the Aleutian Archipelago would be hit.

I wouldn't be so sure. They may be able to protect us from small nuclear powers like North Korea or, soon, Iran. But if one of the larger powers ever decided to launch a nuclear strike against us, they would launch so many that we couldn't possibly intercept them all.

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: 1947boomer

Is it pretty common for people with TS to just throw the Need-to-Know rule out the window like that?

I only had a Secret clearance and I wouldn't have told you even that much about anything I had knowledge of (which wasn't much.) I'd have literally said "I can't talk about it" and stopped there, zero further details.
edit on 16 8 22 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join