It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nascar will Street race in the city of Chicago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 02:49 PM
link   
www.nbcsports.com...

According to NASCAR's website, NASCAR will host "Chicago Street Race Weekend" the first weekend of July 2023. The NASCAR Cup Series race will take place on Sunday, July 2. IMSA will race on Saturday, July 1.

The street course race is the first of its kind for the NASCAR Cup Series. Stock car racing has traditionally been in oval tracks with banked turns. Street courses are more common in open wheel racing, like Formula 1.

This is going to be so incredible! I can't wait. It will be interesting to see how it goes as it has never been done before officially. In the old days people used to street race all the time. My FIL used to do it back in 50's but his car was stolen so he stopped. I guess some things don't change. Now it's so crowded it's hard to do. The sounds will be magnified by the buildings and it will be interesting to be able to watch from so many different areas. My family is trying to decide where we want to be, camped out or near buildings...

What happens if there is an accident, building damage?
This is going to bring in so much money for Chicago. Lightfoot is probably almost as giddy as she was at Lala...

Just FYI to anyone planning to stay in Chicago the parking is outrageous. We paid 78+ per day a few weeks ago just for parking and that was somewhat of a deal. The hotels are getting crazy expensive too because they are tacking on all kinds of extra fees. Hotels during event time were running 400-1400 a night. Most of them were completely full.
Even so, this will be worth it!!!

edit on 7-8-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

This sounds like a Very, Very BAD idea.

I would suggest getting plate carriers.
edit on 7-8-2022 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Are they finally going to be allowed to turn right?

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 03:10 PM
link   
They are gonna have people wanting clean their windshield, with a dirty rag and greasy water at every turn or slow down.

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.nbcsports.com...

According to NASCAR's website, NASCAR will host "Chicago Street Race Weekend" the first weekend of July 2023. The NASCAR Cup Series race will take place on Sunday, July 2. IMSA will race on Saturday, July 1.

The street course race is the first of its kind for the NASCAR Cup Series. Stock car racing has traditionally been in oval tracks with banked turns. Street courses are more common in open wheel racing, like Formula 1.

This is going to be so incredible! I can't wait. It will be interesting to see how it goes as it has never been done before officially. In the old days people used to street race all the time. My FIL used to do it back in 50's but his car was stolen so he stopped. I guess some things don't change. Now it's so crowded it's hard to do. The sounds will be magnified by the buildings and it will be interesting to be able to watch from so many different areas. My family is trying to decide where we want to be, camped out or near buildings...

What happens if there is an accident, building damage?
This is going to bring in so much money for Chicago. Lightfoot is probably almost as giddy as she was at Lala...

Just FYI to anyone planning to stay in Chicago the parking is outrageous. We paid 78+ per day a few weeks ago just for parking and that was somewhat of a deal. The hotels are getting crazy expensive too because they are tacking on all kinds of extra fees. Hotels during event time were running 400-1400 a night. Most of them were completely full.
Even so, this will be worth it!!!

They had better have a stretch on Lakeshore Dr, but it could only be 2.5 miles or so. but in Chicago land, it could go anywhere. But Id like to see it on the river too, can you imagine if they ran it across a bridge or 2?

imagine fitting Charlottes Roval somewhere in Chicagoland, pretty cool.

edit on 7-8-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Sounds like Watkins Glen, but with buildings. I bet they'll have some big restrictions on speed and noise. F1 backed out of a possible Chicago course a few years ago because of the exorbitant costs associated with hosting an event in the city.

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid
Sounds like Watkins Glen, but with buildings. I bet they'll have some big restrictions on speed and noise. F1 backed out of a possible Chicago course a few years ago because of the exorbitant costs associated with hosting an event in the city.

Lala just ended and made the area over 4 billion in revenue. I'm sure they are salivating to attract more customer attracting events to the area. Money talks....

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Like I said, F1 pulled out due to the cost of hosting an event in the city. Lalapalooza, for example, pays a flat rate of US$1.5M, plus 15.00% of all admission fees, plus 5.0% of all sponsorships in excess of $3.25M, plus 5.0% of all food sales in excess of $3M.

posted on Aug, 8 2022 @ 02:15 AM
link   
This change means a lot for the suspension setup of these car's in general. Also gearing and mid range torque.

There could be so much collisions in the first round, that half of the field will be taken out by the end of curve nine

posted on Aug, 8 2022 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Detroit's Grand Prix was downtown, then Belle Isle...next year back to downtown streets...

We've never hit a building before.

Chicago? YT the Detroit Grand Prix in both locations to see what Chi-town can expect!
(đź‘Ť)

posted on Aug, 8 2022 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

The race in Detroit was always a blast. Do you remember the Neon races? Those were always a good show.

posted on Aug, 8 2022 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I had rather watch paint dry .

posted on Aug, 8 2022 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Got to watch out for the Chicago version of tusken raiders…

top topics

join